• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Rate the Transfer Window 19/20 edition

How would you rate our transfer business on a scale from 1-10?

• Total voters

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
I can actually see your thinking, once again we're basically gambling on our starting back four to stay fit the entire season, meanwhile our 2 starting FB's are injured already and we're forced to see Kolasinac and a midfielder at full-back. While I personally would have Holding ahead of Sokratis but that's debatable. If we're relying on Kolasinac/AMN for long periods this season it'll cost us points. While none of our CB's are exactly Adams-Bould either. Luiz has his moments, Sokratis is brainless and there's still question marks over Holding and Chambers.

It honestly seems to be like we're gambling yet again, what we did plenty of times under the last regime and I don't think it should be overlooked this time either especially if things go tits up. It's alright spending all that money on Pepe but last season it was our defence that let us down and it'll probably be the same this season. In the NLD 3 members of our defensive setup, our DM, CB and GK all made mistakes leading to the two Sp**s goals. Vs Liverpool we lost Matip on a set-piece so he could a free header while Luiz pulled Salah's shirt with quite lazy defending and he was embarrassed be Salah for the 3rd. Just 4 games into the season and already we see our defence is quite unreliable. I can only hope we're gonna be scoring a lot of goals this campaign.
Was arguing this on here all summer, but was told over and over by posters on mount ‘superiority’ that a winger will help the defence by relieving the pressure, ‘don’t you realise that’.

Well, when push came to shove Pepe did nothing to stop more of the same defensive howlers we saw last year. He seems like a good buy, but was throwing all our money at another attacker a good idea when our defence is still ‘mistakes r us’. 5/10 window.

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

Was arguing this on here all summer, but was told over and over by posters on mount ‘superiority’ that a winger will help the defence by relieving the pressure, ‘don’t you realise that’.

Well, when push came to shove Pepe did nothing to stop more of the same defensive howlers we saw last year. He seems like a good buy, but was throwing all our money at another attacker a good idea when our defence is still ‘mistakes r us’. 5/10 window.
We bought a CB prospect but he's chilling in France.

Winger position was also a big problem, we had no danger from out wide last season.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable

Yoh, Trax with the whip on it here.
Would have thought even you consider it at least a 7.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

We bought a CB prospect but he's chilling in France.

Winger position was also a big problem, we had no danger from out wide last season.
I wasn’t really counting him on this years list as he has no impact on the team.

Next year if we buy another class CB to partner him, things could be different. Will Emery be here then?

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

Yoh, Trax with the whip on it here.
Would have thought even you consider it at least a 7.
Let’s see how it goes. If the mistakes continue then I’m sticking with it.

The sad thing is most posters think this window is an 8 and that’s why in the last two games the Emery hate has been going through the roof . . . as if the shirt pull and the crazy tackle in the box were his fault.

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

I wasn’t really counting him on this years list as he has no impact on the team.

Next year if we buy another class CB to partner him, things could be different. Will Emery be here then?
God willing he won’t be.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Let’s see how it goes. If the mistakes continue then I’m sticking with it.

The sad thing is most posters think this window is an 8 and that’s why in the last two games the Emery hate has been going through the roof . . . as if the shirt pull and the crazy tackle in the box were his fault.
It can still have been an 8 with the shirt pull and crazy tackle in the box... I'm not Emery's back. I thought we looked much improved from the end of last season. I'm thoroughly excited and I expect us to make top 4. I think Unai does too. Half the first team is actually brand new when you think of the changes made. We've got a decent points tally so far and we have players coming back after the break. I can't see what everyone is so upset about.. it's a long season and I believe we have much better tools this season than last.

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
Was going into the window expecting something along the lines of: Martinelli, Tierney, Fraser (or Soares in the best case), Nkunku / Praet, Andersen.

So, given the initial expectations I had I should be very happy. Yet, there is something nagging. As momentum was building up, I was really hoping for a back-up RB and a better signing than Luiz for CB. So as my expectations rose during the window, my rating has gone down somewhat.

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
So, to take stock:

Positives
- Addressed pressing issue in our starting XI with the signing of Tierney
- Finally signed an actual winger after ages (last real winger in the squad was Alexis)
- Kept room in the squad to give youngsters a proper chance (especially at LW)
- Signed the exact type of CM that we were lacking with Ceballos
- Got a long term solution for CB with Saliba
- Saved about £500k net in weekly wages (£950k gross in my estimate)
- Got decent fees for surplus players (Thompson, Bielik, Jenks, Asano)
- Got a good fee for Iwobi who never truely fit in anywhere in the starting XI

Negative
- Got rid of the wrong LB, incoming LB still injured, no academy prospect backup
- Possibly slightly overpaid for Pepe given the hype
- Only managed to loan Ceballos, didn't manage an option to buy (still optimistic)
- Xhaka still considered a starting option despite talented youngsters and arrival of Ceballos
- Lost Amaechi (seemed inevitable though)
- Only managed to loan Elneny and Mkhitaryan
- Mustafi still here
- Didn't manage to get a back-up RB (was really hoping for Alves)
- Was really hoping we'd do better than Luiz at CB. Although he does fit the profile (ball-playing), I've never really rated him at CB, think he'd be better at DM. Perhaps Chambers would've needed to be sold, but at least we could then have splurged on a better option (really missed out on Hermoso)

Looking at this, I still think it's a solid 7,5/10 given the dire state we were in and the positivity is back. Just need Emery to get the midfield right and we're on for CL. One more window like this and we're in real good shape.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares

We did need wingers and still do need someone on the left. But our defence had been an issue for years, we need to spend big on CBs and we also need a RB since Bellerin can’t play all the time unless we want AMN there.

Sokratis and Luiz are cheap stop gaps who are prone to mistakes and conceding penalties. No different to what we has with Koscielny and Mustafi for years. Haven’t had a good CB since Mertesacker.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom