• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

What is your preferred midfield?

What three players would you prefer to start in midfield?

• Xhaka

Votes: 14 8.2%
  • Torreira

Votes: 147 86.0%
  • Özil

Votes: 23 13.5%
  • Guendouzi

Votes: 73 42.7%
  • Willock

Votes: 99 57.9%
  • Ceballos

Votes: 154 90.1%

• Total voters

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Xhaka is a proven bomb scare. It doesnt matter what he is good at when he makes so many mistakes. The negatives out weigh the positives.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
I don’t think Torreira has a long term future at the club. Nothing specifically against him, I just don’t think it will work out. I assume Emery will get top four and want players who more fit what he wants and not the homeless German. Just a hunch.

By hunch do you mean a bored, speculative guess? One that gives you enough skin in the game for an I told you so, but not so much that your reputation goes down the pisser if you’re wrong?

If so, there’s a job for you on Soccer Saturday.

samshere

Why so serieuse?
I don’t think Torreira has a long term future at the club. Nothing specifically against him, I just don’t think it will work out. I assume Emery will get top four and want players who more fit what he wants and not the homeless German. Just a hunch.
Agree. Too lightweight for the premier league, I think. Relies too much on referees largesse to save him from physical duels. He could still have a good career in Italy or Spain.

Token Yank

By hunch do you mean a bored, speculative guess? One that gives you enough skin in the game for an I told you so, but not so much that your reputation goes down the pisser if you’re wrong?

The ‘my life was better in Italy’ comments. The rumors that Emery had to be convinced to sign him and wasn’t overly keen. He seems to get subbed off a lot or not feature. I like Torreira a lot I just don’t think he really fits in with what Emery wants to do and think he will be sold in the summer.

Token Yank

Nah ur right, we should have a midfield aged 21. That usually works.
Would rather play talented youngsters over total dross like Xhaka, Elneny, etc who are in the prime of their careers age wise.

You’re arguing age over ability. It’s moronic for me. I get the experience angle but if a player is 26 and is horrible vs a player 21 and talented, it’s a no brainer who I would rather have.

pigge

#Pigge #Equality

Player:Martinelli
Would rather play talented youngsters over total dross like Xhaka, Elneny, etc who are in the prime of their careers age wise.

You’re arguing age over ability. It’s moronic for me. I get the experience angle but if a player is 26 and is horrible vs a player 21 and talented, it’s a no brainer who I would rather have.
See, there are other alternatives than taking a chance on kids that might not make it and playing **** players. You could get a better player than xhaka that also can perform consistently. At no point did i say age is more important than ability. Who will the kids learn from of all midfielders have played 100games between them? Its a bad idea to have only kids in midfield.

Im arguing we should have a mixed group of midfielders.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
See, there are other alternatives than taking a chance on kids that might not make it and playing **** players. You could get a better player than xhaka that also can perform consistently. At no point did i say age is more important than ability. Who will the kids learn from of all midfielders have played 100games between them? Its a bad idea to have only kids in midfield.

Im arguing we should have a mixed group of midfielders.
You do realise this thread is supposed to be a discussion on the preferred line up of midfielders we already have.

There's the wishlist for your sentence in bold above... Fairly pointless discussing who we should have bought etc

Do you have a preferred midfield from what we DO ACTUALLY currently have available?

pigge

#Pigge #Equality

You do realise this thread is supposed to be a discussion on the preferred line up of midfielders we already have.

There's the wishlist for your sentence in bold above... Fairly pointless discussing who we should have bought etc

Do you have a preferred midfield from what we DO ACTUALLY currently have available?
They guy i commented on said that we should sell xhaka and torreira and replace them with a kid.

I said that is a bad idea. And then the discussion went on. You should read the entire discussion if you want to butt in.

And for ur question.

----Ceb
Torr - guen(more offensiven than torreira

zilfy

Who will the kids learn from of all midfielders have played 100games between them? Its a bad idea to have only kids in midfield
And what are they going to learn from xhaka? How to make it in the top flight when you're slow as **** and as rash as a mongrel dog?

pigge

#Pigge #Equality

And what are they going to learn from xhaka? How to make it in the top flight when you're slow as **** and as rash as a mongrel dog?
Losing in midfield for a season wont help Them. Im not saying xhaka is the man for the job though as i dislike him myself. How sid you even get that from my posts lol.

Im saying its stupid to have a midfield with Little to no experiance as the most experianced midfielders as starters. Do you not agree?

Impact

Established Member

To be honest, I agree with the assessment. I don't think Torreira is that integral to our future. Guendouzi and Willock already display much higher ceilings due to their superior offensive and physical traits over Torreira. And even with his huge deficiencies, Xhaka is more important for other reasons.

If our approach remains a relentless effort to continually improve the first team, unless we see a big improvement, Torreira should be sold soon. He'll make us a tidy profit and we can reinvest in a better player. Hear me clearly. Torreira is a good player, just not a special player. Sometimes we mistake the two and get too attached to players. In this market, there are talented young central midfielders aplenty. We'll replace him easily with £40 odd million we should recoup from his sale.

Last edited:

zilfy

Losing in midfield for a season wont help Them. Im not saying xhaka is the man for the job though as i dislike him myself. How sid you even get that from my posts lol.

Im saying its stupid to have a midfield with Little to no experiance as the most experianced midfielders as starters. Do you not agree?
I agree. I think you have to play a lineup with the highest ability though, regardless of age. It's just a shame we don't have anyone talented in midfield who is also experienced. Here's hoping xhaka is replaced next summer for an experienced quality mid, then the problems solved

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
My current preferred midfield would be: Willock - Torreira - Ceballos

I think that's the perfect mix of tenacity and attacking capability. Both Willock and Ceballos can contribute offensively and have defensive skills. I think Torreira is much better at transitioning between defense and offense than we give him credit for (and have seen from him recently). With two busy, moving outlets in Willock and Ceballos he'll be able to perform well in this role.

While I highly rate Guendouzi, I always feel like the midfield isn't entirely balanced when he plays and he has to develop his defensive side, particularly his positioning when not in possession. He's a strong contender for Willock's spot though, but Willock currently edges it for me.

Top Bottom