• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: 2019/20 Performances

Why Isn't Özil Playing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Iceman10

Established Member
From his absence against Villa it appears Emery wants him out asap, with MLS and China being possible options. This could be all seeded from last season capped off by the EL final debacle, and if so it is quite likely the club would have let Özil go in the summer if they had found a buyer.

People will attack Emery for this, but what I saw at Watford was a bare minimum performance from Özil (I know @blaze_of_glory disagrees, but Blaze is obviously very biased when he describes Özil as MoTM against Watford ahead of Aubameyang). An assist or key role in build up play here and there is all good, but what I was looking for after a return after an absence was more hunger and desire, and for that body language is important, not just for him but how it radiates to other players also. He is a senior player in the squad now and his attitude, although maybe fine for the individual, can rub off in not so good ways on our younger players. What I saw I was disappointed in, and clearly Emery felt the same way.

So right now it appears Emery clearly wants Özil out. Circumstances could still possibly change that based on squad injuries and results, but odds are firmly against. Clearly Emery is looking at Guendouzi, Ceballos, Willock, Xhaka, Torreira as players ahead of Özil for the three in CM, and if there is to be a CAM that role can be filled by Ceballos or Willock, but in many cases, rightly or wrongly, Emery looks to be wanting a flatter three in CM, with Torreira in a more advanced position at times.

freeglennhelder2

Established Member

Player:Elneny
Ok, agreed let’s dial down the fight or guts rhetoric. Let’s just call it “attitude”. None of us have first hand knowledge of what is going on, but piecing together all the snippets of info it seems that the manager feels Özil does not have the right attitude and will not play him.

Doesn't look like he is seeking regular football anywhere else, so we have been brought to an impasse.

None of this benefits Arsenal FC and personally I don’t think it’s the best way to wind down a high profile career, but then again I’m doing pretty much f*ck all at work and just sitting back taking a salary so it would be hugely hypocritical of me to have a pop at Özil.

Last edited:

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
None of this benefits Arsenal FC and personally I don’t think it’s the best way do wind down a high profile career, but then again I’m doing pretty much f*ck all at work and just sitting back taking a salary so it would be hugely hypocritical of me to have a pop at Özil.
It is your supervisor/manager's fault in that case. You will do what you are asked to do.

Same with Özil. If he is not playing, it is Emery's call.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

From his absence against Villa it appears Emery wants him out asap, with MLS and China being possible options. This could be all seeded from last season capped off by the EL final debacle, and if so it is quite likely the club would have let Özil go in the summer if they had found a buyer.

People will attack Emery for this, but what I saw at Watford was a bare minimum performance from Özil (I know @blaze_of_glory disagrees, but Blaze is obviously very biased when he describes Özil as MoTM against Watford ahead of Aubameyang). An assist or key role in build up play here and there is all good, but what I was looking for after a return after an absence was more hunger and desire, and for that body language is important, not just for him but how it radiates to other players also. He is a senior player in the squad now and his attitude, although maybe fine for the individual, can rub off in not so good ways on our younger players. What I saw I was disappointed in, and clearly Emery felt the same way.

So right now it appears Emery clearly wants Özil out. Circumstances could still possibly change that based on squad injuries and results, but odds are firmly against. Clearly Emery is looking at Guendouzi, Ceballos, Willock, Xhaka, Torreira as players ahead of Özil for the three in CM, and if there is to be a CAM that role can be filled by Ceballos or Willock, but in many cases, rightly or wrongly, Emery looks to be wanting a flatter three in CM, with Torreira in a more advanced position at times.

I watched it again last week he was pretty good 2nd half , probably our best player , so I agree with Blaze . I take what Emery thinks with a pinch of salt , Guedouzi was shocking going both ways and his attitude looked off and he is still playing .

Gooner416

Master of Stonks
Trusted ⭐

Found it strange that he wasn't included today, but Emery got it spot on with his substitutions, apart from Saka.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Found it strange that he wasn't included today, but Emery got it spot on with his substitutions, apart from Saka.
Saka was tiring. We needed to take him off. I loved what I saw from the kid and I initially thought it would be harmful to us as he was our only threat in the first half but it was the right call.

The manager is making other bad calls that are blatant. i.e. our midfield selection..

Artisan

Not Emery's Old Pal
Was great in pre-season, was good in his only game so far this season but hurr durr his body language is bad. Wallah you guys deserve Emery as manager.

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes

I don't like playing a CAM, I'd like us to play like Liverpool does.

Neither Ceballos nor Willock are good 10s, we actually only have Özil who's good there.
This is risiculous. Ceballos looks **** there, Willock is better deeper also.

So weird.

Iceman10

Established Member
I watched it again last week he was pretty good 2nd half , probably our best player , so I agree with Blaze . I take what Emery thinks with a pinch of salt , Guedouzi was shocking going both ways and his attitude looked off and he is still playing .

Could get into back and forth but will see what others think instead.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Could get into back and forth but will see what others think instead.
As usual the crowd on here running with the ultimate hyperbole of each side of the spectrum. Özil was not horrible against Watford but he also wasn't amazing. I think given that he hasn't featured much he should be given another go at some stage.
Seems to clearly be an issue with the manager though.

Artisan

Not Emery's Old Pal
Good for me then bcz i still want Emery as my manager.
Yes I remember you hyping up every midtable dross players we were linked to during the summer window, so your love of Emery doesn't come as a surprise.

What does surprise me is you aren't any longer spamming Masud in anything Özil related as if typing the Arabic variant of his name was the funniest thing ever.

UpTheGunnerz

Vrei sa pleci dar una una iei

Player:Elneny
Yes I remember you hyping up every midtable dross players we were linked to during the summer window, so your love of Emery doesn't come as a surprise.

What does surprise me is you aren't any longer spamming Masud in anything Özil related as if typing the Arabic variant of his name was the funniest thing ever.

Nah, my Mesut agenda is over.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
We see that coming in summer to be honest and Özil too it's his fault he didn't searched for new club to unleash his missing talent that been missing since 2016. Let's hope the deal that see him go to MLS complete in January

kraphtous

Raul Stanllehi
We see that coming in summer to be honest and Özil too it's his fault he didn't searched for new club to unleash his missing talent that been missing since 2016. Let's hope the deal that see him go to MLS complete in January
Why would he search for a team when he doesn't want to leave? And we shouldn't let him leave even if he wants because we clearly need him.

HollandGooner

Established Member

Player:Ødegaard
I am done with Emery really just play our best players FFS, i would play him on the right to roam with Pepe on the left.

Then a midfield trio of Ceballos Torreira Guendouzi should just be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom