• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: 2019/20 Performances

Why Isn't Özil Playing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pepes blue pill

We should be told what is going on here, if Özil is unfit then tell us, if he is fit he has to play, there are certain games even his fans would agree you can leave him out for but teams like bmouth at home he needs to be there, we created so little today, was no atmosphere in the stadium at any point, could gone to church and been more entertained

Toast

Established Member
This can't be right can it ?

="

Is the underlying data for this available? Without that I couldn't possibly say if it's accurate or not, but I can point out that this 'chances created' statistic is markedly at odds with the 'big chances created' data recorded by the PL website.* That data shows that Özil created a total of 3 big chances (two assists) in 25 appearances under Emery.

By comparison, Ramsey recorded 2 big chances (six assists) in 28 appearances and Iwobi had 10 big chances (6 assists) in 35 appearances. I've chosen those two since they played in similar roles as Özil last season. I have not checked the data for each player in the squad. However, the data shows that overall we had 72 big chances and 73 assists (extrapolated from 73 goals) in 2018/19 and 86 big chances 86 assists in total during Emery's tenure.

Ergo, Özil contributed 2 out of 86 big chances (2,36%) and 3 out of 86 assists (3,49%) during Emery's tenure.

None of this disputes the claim in that tweet, but it does show that reality is a little more complicated than that tweet is trying to make out. For example, is it better to lead in 'chances created' or 'big chances created'?

----------
* Some caveats need to be taken into account. The data recorded pertains only to PL matches. As is so often the case, the website does not define its key terms. However, it is likely that they use the same or a similar definition as Opta do, who define a big chance as "A situation where a player should reasonably be expected to score", which is still annoyingly subjective.

Last edited:

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

Pretty obvious the club are forcing out a player that’s declined massively and is on obscene wages. Emery has gotten a lot wrong but he’s spot on here, gotta get rid of him.
Why did he play him against Watford then?

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
Why did he play him against Watford then?
I believe a club is contractually bound to select a player for a minimum amount of appearances if they're fit-unless they've been told that they can leave. We really should have told Özil to go when last season ended and played hard ball like Inter did with Icardi. If Özil then stayed, that was solely down to him.

Godwin1

Very well-known
This is a load of bollocks... he was fastest in PL history to 50 assists and helped end Arsenal’s trophy drought under Wenger.

Plenty of arguments to be made in favor of not playing Özil but the revisionist history is annoying af.
And he was worthless in Wenger's last season. We've finished outside the top 4 for 3 season with him in the team you realise. His performances rapidly declined midway through Wenger's penultimate season actually.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
**** Özil. Gone in January, then you bed-wetters will have nothing to wet your beds for.

After that, maybe Emery, maybe not--again, who gives a ****? Onwards and hopefully upwards.

COYG.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Question: Does everyone truly believe our highest earner and one of our highest-profile marquee players is being frozen out without either the explicit or tacit approval of Emery's superiors?
It's hilarious. They're all watching Emery piss 350k a week down the drain and the team under-perform for no good reason, when the obvious and easy solution would be to simply play Özil. Done Raul and Edu must be petrified of him.

Divided_Pie

It's revisionism now to believe Özil was poor before Emery joined.
You said he “stunk the place out” under Wenger. You then revised that to only mean his last season and part of the season before.

The whole team was ****e in Wenger’s final season, but even so, calling Özil “worthless” is OTT.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
How anyone can look at how we play and think this guy wouldn't be helping us is beyond me.
Easy to say. We could just as easily lose with him. Last time he played, we did.

FWIW, I'd like him to be able to convince the staff that he's worthy of inclusion, but he can't. It's frustrating for everyone, not just his fans. We're down on a good option.

Iceman10

Established Member
How anyone can look at how we play and think this guy wouldn't be helping us is beyond me.

How anyone can think an assist here and there for YouTube clips is more than good enough to play for a top 4 PL team is beyond me. As some others have already said in this thread, why not just bring an aged Ronaldinho to Arsenal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

An Arsenal fan, when you finish fourth, will say, “Hey, we’ve been in the top four for twenty years. We want to win the league!”. They don’t care that Manchester City or Chelsea have spent 300 or 400 million euros. They just want to beat them.
But if you finish fifteenth two years running, they will be happy if you finish fourth after that.

Arsène Wenger

Daily Transfer Updates

Monday, May 3

Marco Silva is pushing the Fulham board to spend as Arsenal prepare to listen to offers for Emile Smith Rowe, among other fringe players [Evening Standard]

New Fenerbache manager Jose Mourinho is determined to stop Arsenal from signing LB Ferdi Kadıoğlu [TBR Football]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom