• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

What happened to Super Jack?

Which answer is the right one?

• Total voters

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
Wenger was a bit too laissez-faire with his development and those 49 games took its toll. He’s also one of the most bow-legged players I’ve ever seen, which no doubt made things worse.

I don't think he was bow legged but he ran in such a weird way, like his legs were too heavy for him to carry. Looked like he was struggling at times.

Now here’s the real reason I started this thread :lol:

Could you answer the same question about Theo Walcott? Now before you all laugh bear in mind how electric he was between RVP’s departure and his massive knee injury against Sp**s in the Cup.

With the possible exception of Cazorla he was our best player until we signed Özil. For me the injury ruined him, when he came back in 2014/15 he’d lost a burst of speed and he was never the same.

He was a top class goal threat between 2010 and 2014 and I think he was someone who was robbed of his best years. He wasn’t as big a talent as Wilshere and he definitely overstayed his welcome but he was still a very good player in his prime.

Walcott was never that good in the first place, we was really fast and learned how to be a great finisher but he was never a talented footballer at the top level. But he also got ravaged by injuries too.

It's the same story with most talented Arsenal players whoever made it.

Lets talk about Oxlade Chamberlain, was he ever good or did people just like his personality? Me personally I never rated him but people would get mad at me. Also Koscielny was never world class while I'm at it, 7/10 at his best and always accident prone.

Manberg

Predator
I don't think he was bow legged but he ran in such a weird way, like his legs were too heavy for him to carry. Looked like he was struggling at times.

He is indeed bow legged, look at the arch on his standing leg.

wilshere.jpg

RVP was too.

It's not really an issue but it can lead to more pressure being put on the joints.

mavelous

Tinfoil hat aficionado
The Jack Wilshere debate.

I'm somewhere between not good enough and injuries. Young players generally play above their average level. Several reasons for this. They are fearless, they have nothing to lose and the opposition generally do not know them. After a period they are no longer fearless, if theyve performed well then they have something to lose and if theyve been playing well the opposition are much better clued into them. Inevitably a rise is followed by a fall (hence why I'm a big advocate of allowing a young player on form play until they hit that dip).

After that they then have to show other traits e.g. mental strength and consistency. Injuries are an easy out to assume his career would have been upward but simply we dont know. We can look at other players from a similiar sample I.e. young players who hit with a bang but have not progressed beyond initial peak .Dele Alli, Ross Barkley, Ox. Theyve all been labelled something, the new Lampard, Evertons new Rooney and we all got excited after Ox vs Man Utd. But theyve all hit a brick wall, injuries or just a regression to the norm?

Anyway, it's an answer we will never know where every opinion is valid because we simply do not know. Some will be overly optimistic to overly pessimistic. I think he would have had a good career but the real player killed by injuries was Diaby. On that I am overly optimistic that Diaby would have been a top central midfielder.

Not enough likes, great post. Ah the twitter era

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Had his wings clipped by injuries, basically. The odds are—as is usually the case—that he wouldn’t have been as great as everyone thought he might be, but he would have been a lot better.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Reading a few posts on him being over played. If we take it a different direction Phil Foden is arguably the new Wilshere, billed as an continental player in an England shirt, but Pep has been very reluctant to throw him in.

Some say he needs to play but thinking about Jack is he doing the right thing or not? I suppose on that you'd need to factor the environment for both. We had to play young players whereas City have a luxury Wilshere and others were never afforded.

Which I suppose brings a bigger more ethical question on youth reliance knowing that they arent fully developed and injuries at a young age can lead to serious problems down the line as their bodies grow. Is it right to rely on youth? should we discourage youth or cut their numbers via a quota until they reach 21?

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Also, I don’t think he was dedicated enough to maximising his talent once he turned into a man, but I guess long injury layoffs could be a factor.

Still, he’s stinking rich and I imagine couldn’t give a flying ****.

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
Reading a few posts on him being over played. If we take it a different direction Phil Foden is arguably the new Wilshere, billed as an continental player in an England shirt, but Pep has been very reluctant to throw him in.

Some say he needs to play but thinking about Jack is he doing the right thing or not? I suppose on that you'd need to factor the environment for both. We had to play young players whereas City have a luxury Wilshere and others were never afforded.

Which I suppose brings a bigger more ethical question on youth reliance knowing that they arent fully developed and injuries at a young age can lead to serious problems down the line as their bodies grow. Is it right to rely on youth? should we discourage youth or cut their numbers via a quota until they reach 21?

We should have a starting XI +8 seniors capable of handling the league, european competition and the cups

Youngsters should be used for development NOT be relied on, odd starts here and there

What profession with a jobtitle can you have as a kid, not yet really an adult? Heck before 21?

Last edited:

Dennis_Bergkamp_10

Established Member
We should have a starting XI +8 seniors capable of handling the league, european competition and the cups

Youngsters should be used for development NOT be relied on, off starts here and there

What profession with a jobtitle can you have as a kid, not yet really an adult? Heck before 21?

When you're good enough you're old enough. That being said, you shouldn't overplay them.

Rather a 19 year old Wilshere or Fabregas than 27 year old crap we have today.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐

Youngsters should be used for development NOT be relied on, off starts here and there

Maybe they were going to be Jacks prime years so its good he played, made a name & got paid.

Hate watching kids get injured before the money or in ****ing scams like College Football.

m-due

Injuries robbed him of a good career for sure. He is still 27 years old and already capped 34 times by Three Lions. I don’t know how dedicated and committed he is during his long layoffs but Pellegrini seems to rate him and tries to give him game time this season albeit from the bench. One thing for sure; he is a true Gooner. The backlash injury prone players get from fans across clubs can be demoralizing,m and I hope he finds consistency and carries on. He needs all the luck to keep on with injury free performances. If he doesn’t then it’s all downhill from West Ham. He will have to drop down levels just to continue playing.

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes
At least Jack still has somewhat of a career. Poor old Abou Diaby looked like the next Viera and his body just would not give him any time to showcase it.

A Cazorla + Diaby midfield pairing was probably that one juicy dream that got away.
I just wanted one season of that, in full, ..there's an empty spot inside me for that.

Even better - Rosicky, Cazorla and Diaby - ****ing hell, those three were, each for his own, like no other :(

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
When you're good enough you're old enough. That being said, you shouldn't overplay them.

Rather a 19 year old Wilshere or Fabregas than 27 year old crap we have today.
Quality technically wise for sure, but it is a bearservice (is that an english idiom???)

It is evident that young still growing bodies cannot handle it physically wise.

Everybody with an early breakthrough bar C Ronaldo has suffered from injury woes later on.

It cuts careers short, it hampers later development.

Not to mention that hype overinflates prices...

It is trading short term success for greater longterm stabile success.

Let's play Aubamawang

Given that he was regularly caught on late nights out and smoking, I would say it was as much a case of a lack of dedication as much as injuries. Clearly injuries played a part in his development, but the biggest problem with young English players is they're given too much, too soon. Look at the wages some young players are on. As far as they're concerned, they've already made it.

Then it becomes a question of how much competitive desire do they have. Do they want to win things? Sometimes the answer is yes, they move to City, sit on the bench, win medals and we forget about them. Other times they rise to it and help their team win, like Welsh Rambo did.

Look at Harry Kane. Sure, he scores goals and dives for pens a lot. But he wants to be a one-club man more than he wants to win trophies. There will come a time soon enough when he will have to decide which is more important to him. Or just look for a bigger payday. Money talks.

It's a simple solution. Paying kids too much money goes straight to their heads, they get cocky and stop trying as hard. But it will keep happening anyway because Prem teams love to outbid each other for homegrown talents. Martinelli is a great example of someone who wants to be great, as opposed to just being loaded.

pigge

#Pigge #Equality

Player:Martinelli
Wilshere at 19 is where ceballos wants to be att his peak.

Unreal talent. Imagine him and Ramsey not being injured.

GunnerUK

Video embedded in starting post is the only game Wilshere took and real credit from. I remember after this game a British reporter asked Pep what he thought of Wilshere and he literally said “nothing special i have a hundred of them in La Masia” turns out he was right Jack was nothing special very overrated and only hyped by Arsenal fans and English journalists.

anybody who says he was an “incredible player” please elaborate. I thought he was **** offered nothing Xhaka or Alex Song couldn’t offer.

Nasri and Fabregas far superior

Flying Okapis

Most Well-Known Member
The poll choices are pretty opposite when personally I think there is a lot of both in the truth.

Yeah he had world class potential and was wrecked by injuries BUT I think there was also a hell of a lot of hype on him which was quite unwarranted at times, he showed excellence but so have quite a lot of players at a young age who fade into nothing, its a hard choice for me this but definitely somewhere in between the two and probably more leaning towards the better option as behind Mark Noble is definitely not his level.

pigge

#Pigge #Equality

Player:Martinelli
Video embedded in starting post is the only game Wilshere took and real credit from. I remember after this game a British reporter asked Pep what he thought of Wilshere and he literally said “nothing special i have a hundred of them in La Masia” turns out he was right Jack was nothing special very overrated and only hyped by Arsenal fans and English journalists.

anybody who says he was an “incredible player” please elaborate. I thought he was **** offered nothing Xhaka or Alex Song couldn’t offer.

Hope ur trolling mate

Zaza

Jack >>> Xhaka what are you on about??

Vanpayslip

Just out of curiosity, where does Pelligrini play him nowadays?

Part of Jack’s development was ruined by Wenger playing him at 10 or wide.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Just out of curiosity, where does Pelligrini play him nowadays?

Part of Jack’s development was ruined by Wenger playing him at 10 or wide.
To be fair, his early breakthroughs were as a RW cutting inside. Wide playmaker was a position I thought would be his best bet when he was 16 or so. He only started playing more as a deeper midfielder when he went to Bolton. His ability was such that he was trusted there from early and got his shot for us in the same spot, consolidating his new role as a senior player.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom