• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Booing, cheering and jeering. Part of the sport or no?

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
So we've all booed, cheered and jeered at something in our lives at least once. Whether it was for mommy's breast as a baby or because Henry missed a penalty. Somewhere it has happened.

Is this a part of the sport? Do fans have the right to jeer or boo a player?
Is this like theatre where the audience's emotions are valid and justifiably displayed to the benefactors?

I must say I am on the fence. I wasn't surprised by the boos ringing around last night but I felt sick inside for Xhaka as he was subjected to one of the most horrible moments we've had at the Emirates.
Never been a Xhaka fan and won't claim to be one now but I still felt uneasy about it.

Thoughts?

KrissKringle

Reinventing VAR 😡
If fans are allowed to boo him on a huge stage like that, which will definitely make you feel like sh!t, he can also be allowed to tell them to fu** off. You also have to consider his frustration of how the game was going and about to be subbed, then hearing your own crowd do that to you...hell, it's only natural to stand up for yourself.
I never found him to be a good fit for us, but he's only human and he's not to be blamed for playing week in week out because that's Emery's decision.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
There has to be a way to make your anger known, so I'm fine with it.

I think it was just wrong place, wrong time wrong person...

pigge

#Pigge #Equality

Player:Martinelli

Was it the wrong place though? Supposed to Boo emery when he is att the store? :lol:

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable

This is the question for me, I don't condone the booing of Xhaka but I do feel like the fans have a right to voice their dissatisfaction and i'm not sure how else that message is relayed.

KrissKringle

Reinventing VAR 😡
This is the question for me, I don't condone the booing of Xhaka but I do feel like the fans have a right to voice their dissatisfaction and i'm not sure how else that message is relayed.
In a more civilized society they'd be having discussions with the team after a crappy game, but booing during a live game is how you affect them the most and that's when a club might make changes. It is what it is, sadly.

Manberg

Predator
I'm not disagreeing or agreeing but I would like to hear your thoughts on why there is a difference?
Full time boos more broadly directed?

Boos during play seem to be more directed at one player, I don't think it's right to single out one player like that. It can only be detrimental to morale. Boos at full time indicate to the team that the fans are displeased and they may bounce back collectively.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
In Full time yes. During the game is unacceptable in my opinion they are our players they never disrespect us never said bad word to fanbase even tho hr was angry and walked off the pitch stay quiet and don't applaud they'll feel that the fans aren't happy about it better than booing it'll make things worse

goonergaz

If fans are allowed to boo him on a huge stage like that, which will definitely make you feel like sh!t, he can also be allowed to tell them to fu** off. You also have to consider his frustration of how the game was going and about to be subbed, then hearing your own crowd do that to you...hell, it's only natural to stand up for yourself.
I never found him to be a good fit for us, but he's only human and he's not to be blamed for playing week in week out because that's Emery's decision.

He's not to be blamed for playing week in week out? Surely every professional wants to play week in week out?

goonergaz

Boos during play seem to be more directed at one player, I don't think it's right to single out one player like that. It can only be detrimental to morale. Boos at full time indicate to the team that the fans are displeased and they may bounce back collectively.

So boo the players that were trying? The ones that played well? The ones that when subbed ran off the pitch?

So I guess in a company where everyone works their socks off except the guy that slopes in late every day - when the bonuses are handed out everyone gets the same right?

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Yes and no...best thing a player to do is to play well I guess and not give the fans a chance to get annoyed, or the manager to drop him if he isn’t playing well...it’s a bad situation we are in really.

Pepes blue pill

People having a go because of his response which is completely normal human behaviour, whether he cried, told them to **** off, got angry etc it would still be nothing more than an emotional response that we have very little/no control over.....Arsenal fans must all be into deep meditation or something going by their response to what xhaka did

Manberg

Predator
So boo the players that were trying? The ones that played well? The ones that when subbed ran off the pitch?

So I guess in a company where everyone works their socks off except the guy that slopes in late every day - when the bonuses are handed out everyone gets the same right?

Boos are only justified when a performance is shockingly bad at a time when the team are performing way below expectations on the pitch, such as yesterday. In which case, everyone shares criticism, but the manager has to bare most responsibility.

Flying Okapis

Most Well-Known Member
Booing is not a huge deal at all, football is entertainment at the end of the day.

The fans in attendance either applaud or boo what they see, its been that way since Rome, well thats what I learnt from Gladiator..

People get blinded by the fact they are 'fans', like they're not allowed to not be happy with what they see and should blindly ignore it.

PoleInGoal

Player:Tomiyasu
In a perfect world, no, but football is en emotional game and booing will always be involved. At the end of the day these guys are professionals and earning more money than most fans can ever dream of. Yes it might be difficult for them to deal with but after the game they get to go home to a life where they never have to worry about things like how they'll pay rent, feed their families etc. It's the same with politicians, movie stars etc., if you want the luxuries of being famous then you'll have to put up with people's behaviour.

Top Bottom