• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Booing, cheering and jeering. Part of the sport or no?

goonergaz

Boos are only justified when a performance is shockingly bad at a time when the team are performing way below expectations on the pitch, such as yesterday. In which case, everyone shares criticism, but the manager has to bare most responsibility.

I don't think the performance was 'shockingly bad' other than for the ref and VAR. We were in control of that match and could have been 3 or 4 nil up until VAR decided to take control. Xhaka can also be blamed for the cross coming in for the equalizer for what it's worth...but let's remember, the booing only started after he started trudging off - at a time when we needed to get a move on. For what it's worth the fans had been booing since before half-time over their time-wasting, yet here you have your captain doing just that.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
Any player that was here for the downfall of Wenger & gets offended by ironic cheering / booing can get ****ed. Where were they then? Bar a few heads down like ostriches phoning in performances & melting away from home.

I felt bad for Eboue as he was having a nightmare & obviously very aware of such.

goonergaz

From the BBC;

As the number 34 flashed up, the reaction from Arsenal's fans was one of the largest cheers of the game, an outpouring laced with happiness, scorn and sarcasm.

The odd anomaly aside, not much appears to have changed at Arsenal

Xhaka, quite rightly, is a proud professional who has felt the wrath of Arsenal's fans before. But clearly this was too much and he reacted with a provocative, goading response that only drives further at the tensions gripping this club and its fanbase.

With Arsenal needing a shot of urgency after losing their lead, Xhaka's laboured stroll towards the touchline lit the fires of fury in the crowd and they turned on the captain, who responded by steadfastly refusing to get a move on, waving his arms before cupping his ears to those who taunted him.

Xhaka then slapped Emery's outstretched hand before stripping off his shirt in full view of the crowd and disappearing down the tunnel.

He is only human, but this was foolish, counter-productive and unacceptable from Arsenal's new captain. It was a response that will only widen the gap between manager, players and fans.

And then, for good measure, thousands chanted for Mesut Özil, the gifted maverick placed in exile by Emery, not even on the bench here and seemingly persona non grata.

Özil has also been a target for Arsenal's fans, but his absence when the team searched for that crucial touch of inspiration late on smacks of Emery cutting off his nose to spite his face, for all the German's failings.

Pretty much spot on.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Any player that was here for the downfall of Wenger & gets offended by ironic cheering / booing can get ****ed. Where were they then? Bar a few heads down like ostriches phoning in performances & melting away from home.

I felt bad for Eboue as he was having a nightmare & obviously very aware of such.

Eboue’s was bad, poor guy was in tears.

Also regardless of everything else, he definitely should be stripped of the captaincy...can’t be doing what he did and still be captain.

Ewarwoowar

So we've all booed, cheered and jeered at something in our lives at least once. Whether it was for mommy's breast as a baby or because Henry missed a penalty. Somewhere it has happened.

Is this a part of the sport? Do fans have the right to jeer or boo a player?
Is this like theatre where the audience's emotions are valid and justifiably displayed to the benefactors?

I must say I am on the fence. I wasn't surprised by the boos ringing around last night but I felt sick inside for Xhaka as he was subjected to one of the most horrible moments we've had at the Emirates.
Never been a Xhaka fan and won't claim to be one now but I still felt uneasy about it.

Thoughts?
Anxiety whatever the trigger generally manifests in my stomach and I did feel nauseous when that happened to Xhaka as I did when Bellerin was taking most of the hit for the team because he was closer to the crowd, esp, when he was taking that throw in, must have felt like an eternity for him, I wish these things would not happen and wonder if some are offloading there own frustrations from drab lives in an easy to do so environment.

But Cheering and booing is something we have grown up with, something we have been schooled in with pantomime, heroes and villains are the order of the day, can't wrap my head around though that even with in one club there are different tribes all vying for(can't think of the word, your chance to win a key ring, but am gonna say) substantiation.

Ideal world says nobody should experience pain, physical or emotional, but it is as inevitable as death and taxes, it is the cycle of life and a learning curve.

And I don't condone it, any of it, especially death and taxes.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐

People will have to learn that managers are not always thier fault yes manager are important but only players that can win you and lose you game when we lose a game under Wenger it was onky his fault

KrissKringle

Reinventing VAR 😡
He's not to be blamed for playing week in week out? Surely every professional wants to play week in week out?
I thought I made myself clear, but just in case, what I mean is that it's not his fault that Emery keeps playing him even though he's far from the right player for this team.
What is he going to say? No, boss, I don't feel I'm helpful, so maybe you should pick someone else and I'll just sit on the bench and collect my check every week?

Tomb Bombadil

Are we a joke because of our management? Yes
Are we a joke because of our coach? Yes
Are we a joke because of our team? No
Are we a joke because of out fanbase? Yes

I'm not for booing, but if there is no commitment I understand it. Booing a indivdual player is pretty bad.

PoleInGoal

Player:Tomiyasu
By the way, if a player can enjoy the adoration and cheering of a crowd when playing well, then they can deal with booing and jeering when they're underperforming. It's the same as any other job, if you don't perform you'll get a telling off

goonergaz

The fact that you believe we were in control of a match where we threw away a 2-0 home lead is simply baffling

Did you watch the match? We could have been 3 or 4 nil up at home when the penalty was wrongly given, if that's not being in control I don't know what is?

If you're referring to the fact that (at the moment) any lead Arsenal have is not Arsenal being in control, then I get that - but if that had stayed a yellow card the game would have panned out totally differently.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
A-M CL Draft Campeón 🏆
This seems to be a trend in modern football, Fellaini was getting similar treatment last season and Jorginho as well. I'm starting to subscribe to @Makingtrax theory that this is a result of society being more angry and reactionary in general, which spills into football.

goonergaz

I thought I made myself clear, but just in case, what I mean is that it's not his fault that Emery keeps playing him even though he's far from the right player for this team.
What is he going to say? No, boss, I don't feel I'm helpful, so maybe you should pick someone else and I'll just sit on the bench and collect my check every week?

You were clear, but every player should want to be picked for every game. But what every player should also do is learn from mistakes and give their all...that's all the supporters ask for - effort. When you see a player chase a ball down and win a thrown-in because of the effort given the reaction from the crowd says it all.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
This seems to be a trend in modern football, Fellaini was getting similar treatment last season and Jorginho as well. I'm starting to subscribe to @Makingtrax theory that this is a result of society being more angry and reactionary in general, which spills into football.
All three plodders in midfield. When performances poor & results bad think that aspect draws more attention in England than other countries.

Reactions: A_G

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
A-M CL Draft Campeón 🏆
All three plodders in midfield. When performances poor & results bad think that aspect draws more attention in England than other countries.
Also all three were considered to be favourites of Mourinho/Emery/Sarri.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Did you watch the match? We could have been 3 or 4 nil up at home when the penalty was wrongly given, if that's not being in control I don't know what is?

If you're referring to the fact that (at the moment) any lead Arsenal have is not Arsenal being in control, then I get that - but if that had stayed a yellow card the game would have panned out totally differently.
We haven't controlled one match in the league this season.. we were gifted the opening goals. Not sure what you're on about but you have hugely low standards if you think that was us 'controlling the game'

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Anxiety whatever the trigger generally manifests in my stomach and I did feel nauseous when that happened to Xhaka as I did when Bellerin was taking most of the hit for the team because he was closer to the crowd, esp, when he was taking that throw in, must have felt like an eternity for him, I wish these things would not happen and wonder if some are offloading there own frustrations from drab lives in an easy to do so environment.

But Cheering and booing is something we have grown up with, something we have been schooled in with pantomime, heroes and villains are the order of the day, can't wrap my head around though that even with in one club there are different tribes all vying for(can't think of the word, your chance to win a key ring, but am gonna say) substantiation.

Ideal world says nobody should experience pain, physical or emotional, but it is as inevitable as death and taxes, it is the cycle of life and a learning curve.

And I don't condone it, any of it, especially death and taxes.
Steady on, death may be the ultimate reward..

Top Bottom