• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Booing, cheering and jeering. Part of the sport or no?

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

When it's warranted sure. Yesterday was absolutely not warranted, not even in the slightest.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
Sport is entertainment. You charge people money on the premise that they will be entertained. In sport you have the added element of competition so really the premise is that the way we compete will entertain you. When you go out and fail to do that repeatedly and it appears that you not living up to the premise that got me to part with my money and pay for a seat then quite rightly I should be able to vocalize my displeasure that you aren't holding up your end. As long as it doesn't get overly personal or God forbid racial or homophobic then I see no issue with it.

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

Yes 100% it is everywhere in the world except England where the fans are expected to eat the **** they are served and say thank you afterwards.

Underhill

Part of the sport and part of a Captains job is to take the blunt of the fans love or hate. He is the representative of the playing 11.

If Xhaka had just jogged off the field, like any normal person would, it would have ended with a smattering of sarcastic cheering. Now he threw the armband on the ground and slowly walked off the pitch which in turn incited a loud booing. He then goes on to taunt his own fans.

To me, his actions were spark plug for this whole mess.
I feel empathy for him as a human, but i have absolutely no respect for his actions. As a highly paid professional and the face of this team, i expect much more.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

This seems to be a trend in modern football, Fellaini was getting similar treatment last season and Jorginho as well. I'm starting to subscribe to @Makingtrax theory that this is a result of society being more angry and reactionary in general, which spills into football.
The rise of the populists, bro. Intolerance comes in cycles.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Mob mentality helps too. It's easy for a coward to be in a crowd of 60,000 and give abuse to a single individual. Imagine just one of those giving abuse to Xhaka was face to face with him, they'd absolutely **** themselves and if it was one of those AFTV wankers they'd probably ask him for a selfie.

I agree tho, in general people seem angry. You go on Facebook, twitter or whatever and you really see it. No one is happy, everyone is always complaining about something. As my girl Taylor Swift would say, you need calm down.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
The rise of the populists, bro. Intolerance comes in cycles.
Some of the countries where they have this annoying habit of booing and whistling when their team is not in possession are in eastern Europe. They were doing this when they were "people's republics".

Don't buy this link. Football is a popular sport, there's always going to be populism in it. Populism is an insult often brandished by self-appointed elites.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

Some of the countries where they have this annoying habit of booing and whistling when their team is not in possession are in eastern Europe. They were doing this when they were "people's republics".

Don't buy this link. Football is a popular sport, there's always going to be populism in it. Populism is an insult often brandished by self-appointed elites.
In the UK, populists are being led by the elite. It's working a treat for the Eton toffs and hedge fund managers.

Just blame foreigners for the country's woes, and the racists and the bigots flock to your banner, giving you the power to give tax breaks for the rich, bring in US private health care and deregulation to exploit workers. More and more are flocking to Johnson and Farage's banner every day. They're just plain gullible.

Godwin1

Very well-known
In the UK, populists are being led by the elite. It's working a treat for the Eton toffs and hedge fund managers.

Just blame foreigners for the country's woes, and the racists and the bigots flock to your banner, giving you the power to give tax breaks for the rich, bring in US private health care and deregulation to exploit workers. More and more are flocking to Johnson and Farage's banner every day. They're just plain gullible.
I get the sense you're one of those guys who believes everything they read in the Guardian :lol:

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

@Makingtrax It's not that I necessarily disagree with you on what you say mate but to take one side and imply the other isn't run by the "elites" is naive.
Naive? Guardian? Just observations bro. Don't see many hedge fund managers or Eton toffs running the Labour party or Lib Dems.

NZgunner

It was they way that he just started slowly walking off that enraged me - that was complete and utter disregard for the fans and for his team mates who were still trying to win the game, and he was running the f*cking clock down.

If he'd just gone off normally there wouldn't have been any booing - this wasn't a fan overreaction, he goaded the supporters and elevated his own sense of entitlement and self importance above everyone else at the ground or watching from home on TV.

A Palace player who had ambled off just as slowly would have got booed as well - it's just sickening that it was our own captain sticking it to the club that pays him 100k a week.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
Naive? Guardian? Just observations bro. Don't see many hedge fund managers or Eton toffs running the Labour party or Lib Dems.
Look closer and you will see the phenomenon of hereditary seats in the Commons extends to the Labour Party. Not to mention setting up boards and committees where they boys all get jobs.

Jae

Not that we're in any better position for it with this fool in charge, but it was the atmosphere at the ground and the boos that ultimately forced Wenger out.

I'm not keen on the booing of individual players, but if they do something to massively upset the fans or provoke them then I have no sympathy whatsoever.

Anybody who's ever been to a game of football knows that this stuff happens all the time. We boo our own teams, the opposition team (and individual players), managers, the referee, the linesmen(women), owners. All sorts.

ChefMan21

Fans should be seen, not heard? Perhaps football wants to take that approach, but I'm also going to say that football will die a very quick (and quiet) death if fans can't cheer, boo, jeer and just basically be human while they support something they love (e.g. Arsenal).

I can't believe we've reached a point as a club where we have to have a thread like this (no criticism of the OP), all because Xhaka acted like a prat...

Top Bottom