• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Booing, cheering and jeering. Part of the sport or no?

goonergaz

Does that matter? I watched on tv which is arguably better perspective given the benefit of pause and rewind.
We're going to have ti agree to disagree.. you're literally the only poster here who thinks we controlled that game. How drunk were you

No need to get offensive because I disagree with you!

For what it's worth - when you're at a match you can see the effort people are putting in (or not) - you see the energy the team puts in and the movement off the ball, TV only concentrates on where the ball is - which is why I asked. I'm not saying it was perfect, but that opening 20-odd minutes was like Arsenal of old.

Anyway, I'm done with the rudeness on this forum for having a differing opinion on people.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
No need to get offensive because I disagree with you!

For what it's worth - when you're at a match you can see the effort people are putting in (or not) - you see the energy the team puts in and the movement off the ball, TV only concentrates on where the ball is - which is why I asked. I'm not saying it was perfect, but that opening 20-odd minutes was like Arsenal of old.

Anyway, I'm done with the rudeness on this forum for having a differing opinion on people.
Was an inappropriate joke. I apologise for offending you. I was irritated about something else and my response to you reflected that unfailry. Sorry.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I'll admit this whole thing made me very irritable last night. I hate when our club is in the limelight for this kind of trivial bullsh!t.
As you said, this is a somewhat trivial matter, which would be overlooked if we were winning and playing well.

I've been losing interest ever since Wenger left, tbh. Maybe this would have affected me very deeply if it happened a few seasons ago.

Edit: We need to start winning and playing well soon.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Do you have any writings on some of your thoughts? I'd be keen to read.
I'm no guru mate. Just an observer.

The UK has let the looney right gain power and they're spewing warmongering words and anti EU rhetoric all over the place like a scatter gun. It's empowered the racists, and bigots to crawl out of their cages.

Their agenda is pure destruction. The break up of our 400 year union with Ireland and Scotland, more inequality, deregulation of workers rights, and control over business.

The only reason the ultra right have gained power here and in the US though, is the reaction to austerity caused by the global banking crisis. It happened in Europe after the great depression in the 1930s. The ultra right blames foreigners for the state of the country and bingo, it's 1930s Germany lite.

Unscrupulous rulers have been using primitive tribal instincts to control people for hundreds of years and it works every time.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable

The UK has let the looney right gain power and they're spewing warmongering words and anti EU rhetoric all over the place like a scatter gun. It's empowered the racists, and bigots to crawl out of their cages.

Their agenda is pure destruction. The break up of our 400 year union with Ireland and Scotland, more inequality, deregulation of workers rights, and control over business.

The only reason the ultra right have gained power here and in the US though, is the reaction to austerity caused by the global banking crisis. It happened in Europe after the great depression in the 1930s. The ultra right blames foreigners for the state of the country and bingo, it's 1930s Germany lite.
A union that Scotland and Ireland have resented for the better part of those four centuries..
But honestly i know nothing on this topic

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

A union that Scotland and Ireland have resented for the better part of those four centuries..
Saw a survey of the media in Britain over the years. There was very little about Scottish independence or dissatisfaction with the EU for years and years. After the banking crisis it blew up like a balloon.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Not my business to judge these things, but people generally do not know what it good for them.

There is always power in unity.

Unscrupulous rulers have been using primitive tribal instincts to control people for hundreds of years and it works every time.
Dude, I second @Mark Tobias. you write well.

RacingPhoton

Established Member
My take on this.

Sports are in general, an outlet for people's emotions. Most of us are stuck in jobs or responsibilities where you can't really show your emotions. You have to lock all your real feelings and act nice to people. When you watch a game, you could be yourself without being judged. You yell, scream, whatever and no one is going to ask you why. Go to a sports bar. You will see well dressed men in suits sitting alone having drinks and shouting at the tv when things get crazy. Same with people who don't look like they are earning a lot too. With sports, they get a safe outlet for all their emotions.

Though we may talk a lot about the beauty of each sport, the real reason why people are pulled towards sports is this. What's the point of sports if you can't cheer or boo when you feel like it? Isn't that the very reason sports clubs are making so much money and isn't that the reason why the players get paid a lot? That's how the world is. If you want to get into finance and make more money, you should be willing to compromise on work life balance. You can't expect to be a sports person or get into showbiz, make all the money but just avoid the negative side of it. No job is perfect.

Speaking about abuses, that's a completely different problem. It's not specific to sports. It happens to everyone. But more pronounced for people who are having celebrity status. Have you seen the amount of abuse a referee receives during a match? Unlike booing, I feel that targeted abusing is bad. But it has been in our society forever. Social media just makes it easy. I sympathize for players receiving personal abuses and threats. But it cannot be fixed. If you want to survive in the field, you have to handle it until the society evolves better.

albakos

Arséne Wenger: "I will miss you"
Administrator

Player:Saka
Mob mentality helps too. It's easy for a coward to be in a crowd of 60,000 and give abuse to a single individual. Imagine just one of those giving abuse to Xhaka was face to face with him, they'd absolutely **** themselves and if it was one of those AFTV wankers they'd probably ask him for a selfie.

I agree tho, in general people seem angry. You go on Facebook, twitter or whatever and you really see it. No one is happy, everyone is always complaining about something. As my girl Taylor Swift would say, you need calm down.

I agree, I see many comments claiming that Xhaka showed a weak mentality in reacting that way.

But how about his mentality that he's shown throughout his career when he was under constant criticism from fans, threats and vile comments to him and family.
Hell, some absolute knobheads were even singing derogatory songs of him before the 2nd leg of EL semi at Atletico Madrid.

To go through that and maintain your professionalism and efforts on the pitch (until Sunday) is an indication of a very strong mentality. It is no wonder that even Wenger gave him the armband few times, as well as all the other teams he played so far, plus the Swiss NT.

His strong mentality is also evident now, as he will not issue an apology, for which I fully support him on this.
This has been building for some time and it takes a strong mentality to stand your ground on this situation for what he feels is right.

There's only one loser in this whole situation and Granit ain't one.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

Not my business to judge these things, but people generally do not know what it good for them.

There is always power in unity.

Dude, I second @Mark Tobias. you write well.
Thanks bro, but there's a lot of good writers on this forum.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

My take on this.

Sports are in general, an outlet for people's emotions. Most of us are stuck in jobs or responsibilities where you can't really show your emotions. You have to lock all your real feelings and act nice to people. When you watch a game, you could be yourself without being judged. You yell, scream, whatever and no one is going to ask you why. Go to a sports bar. You will see well dressed men in suits sitting alone having drinks and shouting at the tv when things get crazy. Same with people who don't look like they are earning a lot too. With sports, they get a safe outlet for all their emotions.

Though we may talk a lot about the beauty of each sport, the real reason why people are pulled towards sports is this. What's the point of sports if you can't cheer or boo when you feel like it? Isn't that the very reason sports clubs are making so much money and isn't that the reason why the players get paid a lot? That's how the world is. If you want to get into finance and make more money, you should be willing to compromise on work life balance. You can't expect to be a sports person or get into showbiz, make all the money but just avoid the negative side of it. No job is perfect.

Speaking about abuses, that's a completely different problem. It's not specific to sports. It happens to everyone. But more pronounced for people who are having celebrity status. Have you seen the amount of abuse a referee receives during a match? Unlike booing, I feel that targeted abusing is bad. But it has been in our society forever. Social media just makes it easy. I sympathize for players receiving personal abuses and threats. But it cannot be fixed. If you want to survive in the field, you have to handle it until the society evolves better.
Pretty well summed up. We are civilising and evolving slowly as you say. But it's so slow, will the planet survive it? ;)

vantoure

There'll always be boo/cheers in football, it's an emotional business.

It'll be double standards though if we expect players to take it all in without reacting. All the points about being captain or whatnot is just BS, they're humans too and have emotions, there'll always be a tipping point

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
My take on this.

Absolutely fantastic post and some great ones from you scattered throughout the forum recently. Well said.

RacingPhoton

Established Member
Pretty well summed up. We are civilising and evolving slowly as you say. But it's so slow, will the planet survive it? ;)
That's a big philosophical question. One theory on why we don't see any other intelligent civilization is that any intelligent civilization would implode before they could reach the stage of interstellar travel. Maybe our technological development is too fast compared to our civic/social development.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

That's a big philosophical question. One theory on why we don't see any other intelligent civilization is that any intelligent civilization would implode before they could reach the stage of interstellar travel. Maybe our technological development is too fast compared to our civic/social development.
The Fermi Paradox eh? That would explain it.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom