• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Booing, cheering and jeering. Part of the sport or no?

RacingPhoton

Established Member
Been thinking exactly this for a good while now. We can actually see a lot of this right now re: climate change, economic and employment challenges, international relations, big data, etc.
True.
Industrialization was great. But we didn't think about climate impact.
Social media was fun. But we didn't know what to expect when the whole world is given a platform to spew all the bullshit they want. Fake news, hate speech etc.
Globalization was great until ideologies of different countries started to clash.
We are slowly adapting to these changes by learning from our mistakes. But it will take around a century for us to fix the problems and be mature enough to handle them. I am pretty sure that the another technological revolution is going to come through before we even fix the existing problems and we might all be screwed eventually.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
True.
Social media was fun. But we didn't know what to expect when the whole world is given a platform to spew all the bullshit they want. Fake news, hate speech etc.
Globalization was great until ideologies of different countries started to clash.
We are slowly adapting to these changes by learning from our mistakes. But it will take around a century for us to fix the problems and be mature enough to handle them. I am pretty sure that the another technological revolution is going to come through before we even fix the existing problems and we might all be screwed eventually.
I'm not even upset this thread has been derailed. This is quite interesting a topic. Something that needs to be discussed and understood at length.

On a roll today RP..

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
One could argue this was happening already but not as publicized as it is now. For instance in South Africa the colonization was already a massive clash between several cultures. Don't want to go to deeply into that but it was perhaps easily ignored by the world before social media and everybody becoming a faux journalist.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
True.
Globalisation is always fighting the human instinct for tribalism (nationalism, as its now called). A world government is a loooooooooong way off my friend.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
The irony of this entire thread is that you're all on this very high horse of fans making themselves heard. This high horse has its head in the clouds. There is a reason why Highbury was known as the Highbury Library and it was, per capita, noisier than the Emirates. Our home fans are consistently out-shouted and out-sung by non-league teams and the likes of Vitoria Guimaraes - that powerhouse of Portuguese football, not even the best supported team in its own town.

But hey! We are SUPERB at attacking our own players. Few better in the world. Gold medal, "lads".

albakos

Arséne Wenger: "I will miss you"
Administrator

Player:Saka
Our home fans are consistently out-shouted and out-sung by non-league teams and the likes of Vitoria Guimaraes - that powerhouse of Portuguese football, not even the best supported team in its own town.
Or two seasons ago, when Koln supporters stormed the Emirates and were all around the seats, thus making for quite a different eventful evening.

Godwin1

Very well-known
I'm no guru mate. Just an observer.

The UK has let the looney right gain power and they're spewing warmongering words and anti EU rhetoric all over the place like a scatter gun. It's empowered the racists, and bigots to crawl out of their cages.

Their agenda is pure destruction. The break up of our 400 year union with Ireland and Scotland, more inequality, deregulation of workers rights, and control over business.

The only reason the ultra right have gained power here and in the US though, is the reaction to austerity caused by the global banking crisis. It happened in Europe after the great depression in the 1930s. The ultra right blames foreigners for the state of the country and bingo, it's 1930s Germany lite.

Unscrupulous rulers have been using primitive tribal instincts to control people for hundreds of years and it works every time.
Ultra right? Blames foreigners? This is a few paragraphs you could find from any left leaning media outlet. Interestingly just change a few words and it becomes right leaning. I'm not saying I agree or disagree with what you're saying but I have trouble it seems to me that your "elite" are what ever political party that oppose your views.

To me the "elite" represent the system that's been in place since our transition to a democracy to maintain the status quo. I don't dislike anyone who votes for the tories or labour but the whole culture of voting for one of these two disgusts me. A large part of their voting base is from multi-generational voters.

Brexit must surely be at odds with your belief that those who oppose your views are "elites" though mate? Virtually all banking institutions and big business are against it aren't they?

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Ultra right? Blames foreigners? This is a few paragraphs you could find from any left leaning media outlet. Interestingly just change a few words and it becomes right leaning. I'm not saying I agree or disagree with what you're saying but I have trouble it seems to me that your "elite" are what ever political party that oppose your views.

To me the "elite" represent the system that's been in place since our transition to a democracy to maintain the status quo. I don't dislike anyone who votes for the tories or labour but the whole culture of voting for one of these two disgusts me. A large part of their voting base is from multi-generational voters.

Brexit must surely be at odds with your belief that those who oppose your views are "elites" though mate? Virtually all banking institutions and big business are against it aren't they?
What a beaut of a post!

Gwilson55

So we've all booed, cheered and jeered at something in our lives at least once. Whether it was for mommy's breast as a baby or because Henry missed a penalty. Somewhere it has happened.

Is this a part of the sport? Do fans have the right to jeer or boo a player?
Is this like theatre where the audience's emotions are valid and justifiably displayed to the benefactors?

I must say I am on the fence. I wasn't surprised by the boos ringing around last night but I felt sick inside for Xhaka as he was subjected to one of the most horrible moments we've had at the Emirates.
Never been a Xhaka fan and won't claim to be one now but I still felt uneasy about it.

Thoughts?

We are there to support the team at the end of the day - booing and jeering won’t actually help a team, If it did then why don’t all fans do it when they are winning or need a goal?

imagine you’re a foreign player and you see that on TV - have a few bad games and you get booed and get threats, that to be wouldn’t be worth making a trip overseas from

to be honest it isn’t Xhaka’s fault he isn’t as good as the players we were all used to seeing. Viera, Petit, Fabregas, Gilberto etc. Yes he makes mistakes but we aren’t really in a position to be commanding the greatest midfielders. This is a team in transition and we need to acknowledge that.

when Man City got money they didn’t instantly become successful it took about 10 years. Liverpool were a top 6 side and it took years to get them closer to title challengers so by us booing the current crop, why would any other players really want to come to Arsenal?

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
imagine you’re a foreign player and you see that on TV - have a few bad games and you get booed and get threats, that to be wouldn’t be worth making a trip overseas from
I don't disagree, necessarily, but then how do Real Madrid attract players?

progman07

Established Member
Booing hasn't ever solved anything for us.

What do fans want?
To see better performances and better results.

What does booing result in?
Players lose confidence, they are afraid to take risks on the pitch, they are scared to make further mistakes.

Objectively, does anyone think that a player goes home believing they played well, if fans don't boo? Does anyone think that a player tries harder because he was booed the last time?

Do we really expect the board/manager to make a decision based on fans booing in the stadium? They obviously DON'T, so it is just a destructive, detrimental and thus unnecessary thing.

If people are really angry, dissatisfied, they should go home at half-time, or not even go to the match. It's a more subtle, and in the end, a better way of showing we are discontent, and an empty stadium will much sooner bring change from the owners than a few controversial boos.

zilfy

Booing has almost single-handedly benched both Mustafi and Xhaka (so far).

It lacks integrity but it certainly seems theres an upside :Celebration:

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Past few seasons have made me realise what a bunch of utter cvnts support AFC. The fanbase is chock block full of egotistical over expectant wankers who think they are better than everybody else and it stinks to high hell on this forum as well.
Really sad. I held this same belief as Wenger.. That this club had a touch of class etc but it seems we were both wrong. There's nothing classy about this club. At least not anymore. All the worst parts of this sport are what get you ahead in it and all the worst sections of the fanbase are the ones who are upheld as the voice, including on here.

I've completely lost passion for this sport.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom