• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Reiss Nelson: 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Agree and that's why I worry for Saka, Martinelli and co.

Nelson is the crown jewel of the academy in terms of pure talent and people don't even have patience for him.
  • Martinelli wasn't in the acadamey
  • Any experienced coach knows break out seasons happen differently for different players
  • Being the crown jewel of the academy means what exactly? Wasn't Aliadiere the crown jewel of an academy once?

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

• Martinelli wasn't in the acadamey
  • Any experienced coach knows break out seasons happen differently for different players
  • Being the crown jewel of the academy means what exactly? Wasn't Aliadiere the crown jewel of an academy once?
What I mean is that Nelson was a very highly rated academy prospect so looking at how fans have reacted to his inconsistencies (which are normal at this age), it doesn’t bode well for other talents who aren’t – on paper – as good as Reiss.

Luckily coaches know that yes, but my post is talking about the fans reaction to young players.

Wrighty4eva

Established Member
Looking forward to Reiss coming back, I have a feeling he was playing through his injury when he first came back, played an under 21 game, still one of our most exciting prospects.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
WTF Reiss.
I saw that Greenwood missed a real sitter in this game but he was in ACRES on that play. That's a quite astounding decision in hindsight - especially as a Hale End player - but he did really well once he got the ball back in the box. Pros and cons. Can only hope that he doesn't make a decision that stupid next game because he might not score at the end of it :lol:.

Just needs a little less desperation. All the tools are there.

krengon

One Arsène Wenger
Trusted ⭐
Yeah that was a really bad decision lol, how did he not see/play that pass..Reminds me of that Wenger quote about a player scoring after a bad shot instead of passing to a better placed teammate, a bad player will go home happy because he scored, while the good players will realise they messed up. Hopefully Nelson is in the latter category.

samshere

Why so serieuse?
Nah, he played the ball to the player that was most likely to pass back so that he can get a goal. He's a clever lad.

Hleb's Sirush

Established Member
That is horrendous decision making. He should have passed to Greenwood but if he doesn't, 2nd best option would be to carry on dribbling as the player he did pass to was about to drag defenders away, allowing a gap to open up for him to run into. The fact he went on to score is almost irrelevant as that happened despite of him butchering the counter attack.

What I will say in his favour is that Reiss seems to have developed a striker's mentality. Whenever he plays for us he is very quick to have a shot at goal from all angles. Seems to have a real hunger for goals. Taking that in mind, maybe he really played that pass because he knew he had more chance getting it played back to him than if he played it to Greenwood.

TakeChillPill

Established Member
We have a number of young players with consistantly poor decision making. Including Dani, Guendouzi. I'd say it's the biggest reason why we struggle to keep possession or create chances in games when we have the ball. All have the technical ability.

Then i look at the Ajax team who are so young yet making decisions way beyond their years.

I don't know whether it's our youth system or first team coaching who are to blame.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

We have a number of young players with consistantly poor decision making. Including Dani, Guendouzi. I'd say it's the biggest reason why we struggle to keep possession or create chances in games when we have the ball. All have the technical ability.

Then i look at the Ajax team who are so young yet making decisions way beyond their years.

I don't know whether it's our youth system or first team coaching who are to blame.

Lack of coaching ,

Hleb's Sirush

Established Member

There is a lack of coaching in regards to this. Also our tactics and formation doesn't help because most of our players when in possession of the ball are left with not many options, hence whatever decision they make ends up looking bad.

Having said that, we can't get away from the fact we do have a few players who are just bad at decision making. No amount of coaching or sound tactics will correct that.

Afro Mugo

You watch those Ajax players when they're fully developed . They spend a lot of time developing at Jong Ajax against senior opposition while young players in English clubs don't have that privillege. It's straight from U23s to the first team because loans are very 50-50 . Frankie De Jong when he signed from Willem II he wasn't a standout even in Dutch youth teams . He developed a lot in that season he played for Jong Ajax . Van De Beek blew hot and cold until last season when he became very consistent so it's just we only watch their kids when they're ready.

Afro Mugo

I have a lot of time for Reiss because IMO Wenger really mismanaged his breakthrough. Reiss broke into u23 football at the age of 16/17 and had the season of his life a year later. However instead of being played as a forward he was played as a RWB which really damaged his confidence. Saka, whose being managed very well has played more games as a LB than as a LW in the games I've watched and his biggest criticism now is that he can't defend even though hes playing as a winger . This is a guy whose used to playing defence but is finding at hard to defend in senior football. Reiss had never played in defence before . Since then he lost a lot of charisma and confidence in his game. He then had a loan spell where he didn't play much.
Nagelsmann doesn't really seem to care about loanees as even Ampadu has only played twice this season .
Reiss just needs consistent games as a forward and slowly he'll show what he's all about . He's still a teenager . I know youth development isn't linear but he's still the best youngster I've seen since Wilshere in Arsenal youth teams and I'm confident soon everything will start coming together for him. Not every kid is Mbappe .

Make

Player:Ødegaard
Nelson in under 23 is good, but when he plays in the PL he hasn't got the level necessary to be include in starting XI

Tourbillion

Angry & Miserable
I have a lot of time for Reiss because IMO Wenger really mismanaged his breakthrough. Reiss broke into u23 football at the age of 16/17 and had the season of his life a year later. However instead of being played as a forward he was played as a RWB which really damaged his confidence. Saka, whose being managed very well has played more games as a LB than as a LW in the games I've watched and his biggest criticism now is that he can't defend even though hes playing as a winger . This is a guy whose used to playing defence but is finding at hard to defend in senior football. Reiss had never played in defence before . Since then he lost a lot of charisma and confidence in his game. He then had a loan spell where he didn't play much.
Nagelsmann doesn't really seem to care about loanees as even Ampadu has only played twice this season .
Reiss just needs consistent games as a forward and slowly he'll show what he's all about . He's still a teenager . I know youth development isn't linear but he's still the best youngster I've seen since Wilshere in Arsenal youth teams and I'm confident soon everything will start coming together for him. Not every kid is Mbappe .
Saka has played more games as a left back for us? What? Do you mean for the youth team/U23s? In the first team he's been solely a left winger, which is obviously where he's best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom