• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The tactics thread

Highbury

I was never as against the 3 at the back formation as some on here...we could play more of a 3-4-3, with Laca slightly behind Auba and Pepe up front maybe?

IMO, Lacazette doesn’t have the technical qualities to play as SS/CF. He is a pure ST although not a very good one.

3-4-3 won’t solve anything because Aubameyang will still be shifted out wide. 3-5-2 was the hottest formation in the league when Conte destroyed the league with it, but it has surprisingly gone out of fashion lately. I would really like Emery to give it a try before he gets sacked.

pikey2000

In my opinion, considering the lack of a proper LW and Emery’s refusal to play Özil, 3-5-2 is the only formation that can make us look half-decent.

This would also allow Aubameyang to take up a central role instead of being shifted out wide to accommodate the Emirates Stadium merchant as the lone ST.

You could play Tierney and Bellerin as your LWB and RWB, and Chambers as your RCB. David Luiz could be the CB and it is the only formation where he actually looked like a decent defender. Papa or Holding can play as the LCB.

The only problem that I see that it will be difficult to accommodate Pepe, but I think in the short term he can play as the more advanced midfielder in the center with Guendouzi and Torreira behind him.

Agreed, like I said a few pages back, the personnel we have available now makes going back to a back 3 a far more appealing option

a) We have two new wing backs in Hector and Tierney VS Kolasinac and AMN from last season.

b) Holding-Luiz-Chambers is infinitely better than Kos-Sok-Mustafi if we are intent on ball playing CB's.

c) Allows us to play two up top - the Laca - Auba combo that served us so well last season

d) allows us to field an AM (Özil) with two holding mids behind him so that he doesn't need to contribute as heavily defensively (not that we are any more solid as a defensive unit with him out of the side).

As you say, aside from Pepe its the formation that both best suits our squad but also allows us to field our best players in their primary positions rather than shoe horning them in i.e Auba out wide, Özil out wide/not playing at all, Torreira at 10 etc etc etc.

boonthegoon

Arteta In by November

Player:Smith-Rowe
We really need a complete refresh of tactics. Playing 3 atb makes so much sense now IMO. Luiz and even Holding play better in a 3. Luiz in the middle. Holding LCB. Chambers/Sokratis RCB. (Chambers as RCB in a 3 can play like Azpi did at Chelsea under Conte) Chambers/Bellerin RWB. Can be 352 at home and easy away games Xhaka/Torreira-Guendouzi mid
Özil behind Auba Pepe
Laca back up to all 3
Switch to a 343 for tough away games and hope for counters
Maybe Özil drops out. Auba/Pepe wings and Laca st or Auba st and Gabigol/Pepe wings. Luiz pinging balls from the middle.

mavelous

Tinfoil hat aficionado
yea, it seems we are much better equipped to play the 3 cb system with wingbacks at the moment. last year it was kinda forced on us due to Kolasinac being, well, Kolasinac and Bellerin's injury.

this time our wingbacks could actually make it work much better, and CBs are probably better suited to 3cb system that being in a pair, since we don't have a DM with defensive aptitude (Torreira's huff and puff notwithstanding).

as for midfield and attack, not like it's functioning any better at the moment, so yea

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Our game management under Emery is shocking. We invite so much unnecessary pressure on ourselves by stupid passes back to the centre backs instead of playing forwards. Our goalkeeper, whether it is Leno or Martinez contribute to so much pressure. We do silly things. silly corners, free kicks and throw ins that just give the ball to the other team and let them break on us.

roz

Fake News Merchant
Seriously we play with 2 strikers, neither of which has the height to head the ball in And we play the same ****ty old tactics every game, fullbacks overlap cross ball into box for a header!?!?!?? Its SO obvious its not working and to be honest its crap football.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Emery’s tactical level...

...Rik’s too offensive to be Emery tbf.

Last edited:

mavelous

Tinfoil hat aficionado
I guess the culture change was too much of a shock, and in order to implement whatever style or game plan he supposedly has, he is running out of time.

Rimaal

Mesmerised By Raccoons
Trusted ⭐
source.gif

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Confusing tactics maybe emery changing it from 442 to 433 to 442 diamond in space of the week that confusing and bring no stability

Problems today.

1. No midfield at all.

2. While good combination for the goal. Auba and Laca general play is lacking to much for us to put the other team at the back foot. Its a problem that has been since they started to play together but even more noticeable with Emery tactics.

3. Defense weak. Not switch on in the goal. You would thing defensive manager would make sure that defense are switch on in cases like this.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom