• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The tactics thread

goonerfamily

Emery is too pragmatic. You shouldn't change entire formations for home ties against Wolves. The players have no clear ideology or philosophy to follow. I wouldn't be surprised if they're disillusioned too. There are some good players in this team, they must be confused and look at themselves when they are having to change their entire approach for a fixture against Wolverhampton Wanderers.

Pragmatism can be put to good use in one-off matches and cup competitions but over the length of the league campaign it is exhausting. I think this explains why Emery historically has done much better in cup competitions than in domestic leagues.

NZgunner

why is there a thread about tactics?

it must be to discuss what opposition teams do because there's f*ck all to see from us

chessygoal

The way the midfield is being set up, is the worst I have ever seen it in my time as a fan.
It's mind-blowing, our midfielders are nowhere to be seen when it matters, offensively and defensively. To be fair it was a bit better recently but I still feel that our system makes our players worse.

Divided_Pie

This is what I'd like to see:

4-2-3-1

First 11:
Leno
Bellerin Sokratis Luiz Tierney
Willock Guendouzi
Pepe Özil Auba
Lacazette

Bench:
Martinez
Chambers/Holding
Kolasinac/AMN
Torreira
Ceballos/Xhaka
Saka/Nelson
Martinelli

Back five:
Not a lot to discuss. Sure, you could swap in Holding and/or Chambers at CB but I honestly don't think it'll make much difference.

Midfield:
Some interesting choices. On the left I think you have to pick one of Guendouzi, Ceballos, and Xhaka, and leave the other two out. They all prefer the left and you can't play any of them together. I prefer Guendouzi for a variety of reasons.

On the right, it's a tough choice between Willock and Torreira. Torreira is the safer, more predictable choice, but at this point I'd go with Willock due to his upside. He doesn't have as much experience but ability-wise he has all he needs to be a mobile ball-winner and he's more press-resistant (and obviously taller and stronger) than Torreira. He also offers ball-carrying from deep and shooting from outside the box. Both he and Guendouzi should become more solid and reliable if their roles, playing time, and midfield partners are made to be consistent.

Özil is really the only choice at #10 currently if we want someone creative. He will also bring some calmness and control that should help the young holding players behind him. Ceballos is an adequate back-up and hopefully Smith-Rowe can get some time here at some point and emerge as the clear future of the position.

Front three:
Easy choice for me here. Martinelli and Saka are great talents but they need more time to gain consistency. I actually prefer Laca's well-rounded game at CF and I don't think it hurts Auba too much to be pushed out wide left. Lots of creativity and potential for interchanges and 1-2 passing between Özil, Laca, and Pepe. Loads of pace outside as well.

Last edited:

yorch44

Commander of the Pelotudo Brigade
This is what I'd like to see:

4-2-3-1

First 11:
Leno
Bellerin Sokratis Luiz Tierney
Willock Guendouzi
Pepe Özil Auba
Lacazette

Bench:
Martinez
Chambers/Holding
Kolasinac/AMN
Torreira
Ceballos/Xhaka
Saka/Nelson
Martinelli

Back five:
Not a lot to discuss. Sure, you could swap in Holding and/or Chambers at CB but I honestly don't think it'll make much difference.

Midfield:
Some interesting choices. On the left I think you have to pick one of Guendouzi, Ceballos, and Xhaka, and leave the other two out. They all prefer the left and you can't play any of them together. I prefer Guendouzi for a variety of reasons.

On the right, it's a tough choice between Willock and Torreira. Torreira is the safer, more predictable choice, but at this point I'd go with Willock due to his upside. He doesn't have as much experience but ability-wise he has all he needs to be a mobile ball-winner and he's more press-resistant (and obviously taller and stronger) than Torreira. He also offers ball-carrying from deep and shooting from outside the box. Both he and Guendouzi should become more solid and reliable if their roles, playing time, and midfield partners are made to be consistent.

Özil is really the only choice at #10 currently if we want someone creative. He will also bring some calmness and control that should help the young holding players behind him. Ceballos is an adequate back-up and hopefully Smith-Rowe can get some time here at some point and emerge as the clear future of the position.

Front three:
Easy choice for me here. Martinelli and Saka are great talents but they need more time to gain consistency. I actually prefer Laca's well-rounded game at CF and I don't think it hurts Auba too much to be pushed out wide left. Lots of creativity and potential for interchanges and 1-2 passing between Özil, Laca, and Pepe. Loads of pace outside as well.
Sometimes when you use logic and keep it simple works better.

To me, more than Right CM or left CM is about their job. Torreira as DM protecting and recovering, pairing him with b2b (Willock or Douzy more free) or Ceballos.

Second option to me is Willock and Douzy, both doing the same role as b2b but coordinating them, when one attacks the other sits. While defending both do it, with each one covering his side of the pitch.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
The way the midfield is being set up, is the worst I have ever seen it in my time as a fan.

It's more of a problem of a lack of quality, our midfielders are either teenagers (Guendouzi, Willock) or just poor players/flops (Xhaka, Torreira) so there's not much Emery can do.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
It's more of a problem of a lack of quality, our midfielders are either teenagers (Guendouzi, Willock) or just poor players/flops (Xhaka, Torreira) so there's not much Emery can do.

Agree that our midfield isn’t what it used to be, but it wasn’t this bad last year...Xhaka and Torreira have their flaws, but they formed a decent-ish partnership last year as their strengths/weaknesses went well together...Emery is definitely making it worse imo.

teamsoutheast

Player:Ødegaard
Agree that our midfield isn’t what it used to be, but it wasn’t this bad last year...Xhaka and Torreira have their flaws, but they formed a decent-ish partnership last year as their strengths/weaknesses went well together...Emery is definitely making it worse imo.

Their part of the problem. We lack so much control with both of them in midfield and there's no link between midfield and attack playing them both. That was the problem we had last season. Ramsey, was a true B2B midfielder who could link midfield to attack which is why we looked so good when he played there. I can see why Arsenal bought Ceballos and played a 4-3-3. This was to try and have a link between midfield and attack and also add an extra man to stabilise things defensively and bring a bit more control. He started well but is now out of form. We don't have a good enough midfield pivot to play a 4-2-3-1. You need your midfield 2 to be very athletic, physical and technical. We don't have midfielders who can do all 3 of those things. Maybe the closest we do have is Willock. Guendouzi is good going forward but not good enough defensively. Same for Ceballos.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Their part of the problem. We lack so much control with both of them in midfield and there's no link between midfield and attack playing them both. That was the problem we had last season. Ramsey, was a true B2B midfielder who could link midfield to attack which is why we looked so good when he played there. I can see why Arsenal bought Ceballos and played a 4-3-3. This was to try and have a link between midfield and attack and also add an extra man to stabilise things defensively and bring a bit more control. He started well but is now out of form. We don't have a good enough midfield pivot to play a 4-2-3-1. You need your midfield 2 to be very athletic, physical and technical. We don't have midfielders who can do all 3 of those things. Maybe the closest we do have is Willock. Guendouzi is good going forward but not good enough defensively. Same for Ceballos.

Athletic, physical and technical...Vieira and Gilberto, take me back!

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
The last match was tactically perfect according to Unai

Top Bottom