• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: 2019/20 Performances

Why Isn't Özil Playing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kav

Established Member
The difference is insane, you can see the poor quality of our midfield. Even if we get rid of Emery for a new manager they will have the same problems.
His touch is even worse than Xhaka. His saving grace is his speed of thought. I do think he needs more time to get accustomed to the pace of the league.

Our midfield could really do with a cazorla or rosicky calibre of player along side a Gilberto or even song type of player.

Rimaal

Mesmerised By Raccoons
Trusted ⭐
Well ratings have Özil in very close proximity and even behind Cab in some so, your words, not mine.

I never rated, so how can they be my words, I don't know.

As for different site ratings, I give as much of toss about them as I did about most opinions that rated Emery highly last season, when I didn't.

Jasard

Forum Issue Troubleshooter

Any hope of him adjusting to play as part of a CM pair? He came very deep in the last game.

I ask because although Emery has proved incapable of deploying it correctly I think a back 3 really could work with this squad, probably without Özil but if he could adjust it could prove potent.

With Tierney and Bellerin that's a very capable pair of fullbacks that can attack and provide width. Auba and Pepe can play the diagonals and cause a bit of havoc like Liverpool, bringing much needed movement to our attack with the fullbacks providing the width.

This kind of thing requires strong coaching as it's so fluid and everyone needs to know what they are doing when we do and don't have the ball so no hope with Emery really.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Any hope of him adjusting to play as part of a CM pair? He came very deep in the last game.

I ask because although Emery has proved incapable of deploying it correctly I think a back 3 really could work with this squad, probably without Özil but if he could adjust it could prove potent.

With Tierney and Bellerin that's a very capable pair of fullbacks that can attack and provide width. Auba and Pepe can play the diagonals and cause a bit of havoc like Liverpool, bringing much needed movement to our attack with the fullbacks providing the width.

This kind of thing requires strong coaching as it's so fluid and everyone needs to know what they are doing when we do and don't have the ball so no hope with Emery really.

Never saw Özil’s game as one that could be developed deeper, the man in your avi was more of a controller (so his adaptation was easy really) while Mesut is more of a final ball kind of guy...maybe he could with strong coaching as you say, but I don’t see it personally.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Of course there is , he has come deep in many games including for Germany .

Godwin1

Very well-known
Never saw Özil’s game as one that could be developed deeper, the man in your avi was more of a controller (so his adaptation was easy really) while Mesut is more of a final ball kind of guy...maybe he could with strong coaching as you say, but I don’t see it personally.
Didn't Özil play a bit deeper during his run of form leading up to signing his contract. The assists dried up but was probably his best run of form for the club.

Godwin1

Very well-known

Özil's very close to being finished I think the best use of him while he's still here is playing his traditional role against selected opposition. He should be racking up assists at home against teams we should be blowing away. I actually thought this was Emery's plan for him coming off of last season but look how that turned out.

Divided_Pie

Özil in a free role, where he can get a feel for where the space is and where he fits in to facilitate ball movement, I think works best. With freedom he can drop deep when he sees the CM pair needs a bit of help, or when the defense is playing them a certain way that opens up different spaces and avenues for progression. I don't think he would work well as a designated CM because if he did the reverse (vacating deeper space to move forward) it would leave gaps defensively. I think #10 in a 4231 suits him the best, and in certain situations he can play at CM later in games to help with possession or to allow more attacking players to come on.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
The difference is insane, you can see the poor quality of our midfield. Even if we get rid of Emery for a new manager they will have the same problems.
In my opinion if we brought in a tactically astute manager they would be able to make our midfield quite good. We may be a bit lightweight defensively there but we have plenty of creativity that Emery isn't unlocking very well to say the least.

Emery has struggled with our midfield since December/January. When we went on that dodgy unbeaten run at the beginning of his reign that was the only time the midfield didnt look too bad... Torreira and Xhaka were actually quite solid.

Since then though its been absolute car crash.

Gooner_girl14

He has been pretty good the limited times we’ve seen him so far this season and we’re clearly better with him. Makes me wonder if Emery’s ostracism of him had become personal more than anything else. Was good again today and probably our best player, but we really need to sort that midfield out.

Gooner_girl14

Makes us easier to watch. Wtf was he doing being left out

He had a poor run of form last season and many blamed him for being a defensive liability, often being touted as lazy. Problem is we’re no better defensively without him anyway and we’re clearly worse going forward. Emery leaving him out so much just looks like more incompetence from him.

elemoo

Easily out best player today with prob 6-7/10 performance. Had we had our attacking trio on at the same time AND performing, I suspect we have at least got a draw.

Also agree with the notion that he makes Arsenal more pleasing to watch.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
I think he did well all attacks coming from him expected more but for player that been left out for a while that was expected

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom