• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The all things positive thread

Ash10

Chairman of the Bum Brigade
Started talking again with the girl I kind of like
Got some fresh ideas for the next chapter of the novel I'm writing

Dreamt that Emery got sacked:lol:

Pepes blue pill

Yes I suspected this was the story, and thank you to @Flying Okapis for the explanation.

I’d never think of using such terminology in my life since one of the classes I teach (with high schoolers) is Human Diversity - whose purpose is, in part, to educate students on the history of prejudice, discrimination, and hate. I feel strongly about this kind of thing.

I won’t try to assume what your objective was in using the term toward the other poster here, but I want to publicly state that I think this forum would be a better place if all of us agreed not to use such terminology, regardless of situation or motive.

:lol::lol::lol:

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
'Yids' or 'Yiddo's' is a weird one tbh. It seems like it's allowed now... Not even sure how it's anti-semitic? Why does a harmless slang term for someone from a specific background, have to be offensive? It doesn't appear to have any derogatory connotations. It can be as offensive as it can a term of endearment--all depends where it's coming from and the context.

From what I understand, the Jewish community would prefer it not to be used, but they fully understand context is very important. E.g. 'You ****ing yid ****' = bad. 'Oh, sh!t, the yids won again' = ok. 'We are the yids' = Absolutely fine.

Last edited:

Jackie_Treehorn

Player:Martinelli
'Yids' or 'Yiddo's' is a weird one tbh. It seems like it's allowed now... Not even sure how it's anti-semitic? Why does a harmless slang term for someone from a specific background, have to be offensive? It doesn't appear to have any derogatory connotations. It can be as offensive as it can a term of endearment--all depends where it's coming from and the context.

From what I understand, the Jewish community would prefer it not to be used
, but they fully understand context is very important.
Your perception of the term’s meaning is not in question. The term’s history is clear. The only people who could “reclaim” it are Jewish people. If I’m not Jewish I don’t get to tell Jews what terms they should like and not like.

For that guy to trash talk another Arsenal fan by suggesting he support Spuds, using a term that’s got a clear history is foolish.
I asked him for clarification, suggesting his intent didn’t seem ugly, but also suggesting he refrain from using it. He laughed at me. Seems clear he’s not willing to think critically about the words he uses. It’s sad.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Your perception of the term’s meaning is not in question. The term’s history is clear. The only people who could “reclaim” it are Jewish people. If I’m not Jewish I don’t get to tell Jews what terms they should like and not like.

For that guy to trash talk another Arsenal fan by suggesting he support Spuds, using a term that’s got a clear history is foolish.
I asked him for clarification, suggesting his intent didn’t seem ugly, but also suggesting he refrain from using it. He laughed at me. Seems clear he’s not willing to think critically about the words he uses. It’s sad.
I think it's acceptable to use it in a football context and, as I say, the Jewish community accept that it's more important how it's used. Personally I'm not comfortable with the 'reclaiming' or owning of words or terms in the language. What's far more important is that we all understand whether there is malice intended or not.

Jackie_Treehorn

I think it's acceptable to use it in a football context and, as I say, the Jewish community accept that it's more important how it's used. Personally I'm not comfortable with the 'reclaiming' or owning words or terms in the language. What's far more important is that we all understand whether there is malice.
Yes, fair enough. My disagreement is with intent.

For example, if a White American uses the “n-word,” it’s very unacceptable mostly due to the horrid historical connotation it brings with it-not the intent of the user. The only difference is: if one uses it playfully it’s a faux pas (albeit a pretty ****ing big one, as it should be) but if someone uses it hatefully it’s the third rail of discourse (as it ****ing should be).

My point being, one’s intent is kind of relevant, but the nomenclature is still unacceptable regardless of intent.

***and my original question to the post was in hopes of establishing his intent. He never answered.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
My point being, one’s intent is kind of relevant, but the nomenclature is still unacceptable regardless of intent.
In South Africa the worst racist term you could use for a black person is "Kaffir".. But anybody who knows the world well enough (or is Muslim) will know that this word is actually a term from Islam to describe a non-believer and has bugger all to do with ethnicity.
Pathetically it was brought down by dutch settlers who clearly didn't understand the term when they started using it for the local people here.

Jackie_Treehorn

In South Africa the worst racist term you could use for a black person is "Kaffir".. But anybody who knows the world well enough (or is Muslim) will know that this word is actually a term from Islam to describe a non-believer and has bugger all to do with ethnicity.
Pathetically it was brought down by dutch settlers who clearly didn't understand the term when they started using it for the local people here.
Ignorance is pervasive in humanity.
But this is the all things positive thread, so I'm glad some of us care enough to investigate the origins of words and why that matters.

Top Bottom