• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Life After Emery Begins

Would you be satisfied with hiring Mikel Arteta?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
From the outside its really hard to know who does what & the level of influence. City have a massive staff & one of the other assistant managers a hell of a CV.
Take it FWIW, but the resident ITK on Bluemoon said Arteta is a yes man who "doesn't tell it like it is". They seem perfectly fine with Domenec Torrent coming back to replace Arteta.

mpower2540

To add to the above, even if the doubters are right and Arteta is not a manager, it is not like things will get worse. We have hit the rock bottom already..

A club like Arsenal cannot sink any further than a 10-11th finish. We are too big for relegation regardless of the negativity and skepticism surrounding the club at the moment..

If Arteta experiment fails, we can always go back to a more experienced option in a couple of years.. people shouldn’t worry about our fledging status.. football today is all about the money, and even without European football, we generate more than enough revenue to attract the right manager.

Right now Arsenal have two options to go back to being a top 4 club and possibly challenge for the title in a few seasons..

(1) get a proven world class manager. We missed the boat with Mourinho who would have undoubtedly improved us. Since that ship has sailed the remaining options are Poch, Allegri and Simeone.

The problem is that all them have the possibility to go to more attractive clubs who are richer and have a better squad than Arsenal right now..

(2) take a risk with an unknown quantity like Arteta WHO COULD BE a world class manager in the future.

settling for proven non-elite managers like Marcelino or an elite manager who is past his prime like Ancelotti etc will not change the fate of the club...

The time has come for a bold decision. Marcelino isn’t a bold decision and neither was Emery. We should have been bolder after wenger but let’s not repeat the same mistake again..

Things can definitely always get worse. We’d be taking a massive risk bringing in Arteta now. He’d be coming from an environment where he’s used to working with superior players, an attitude of winning and a coach who’s won practically everything the game has to offer.

Then he’s thrust into an environment where the players are used to not delivering and receiving little ramifications, lack of physical quality, lack of technical quality and a recruitment department that have shown time and again they don’t have a clue what they’re doing. I don’t know what his style would be but my hunch is he would look to try emulate Peps methods, I look at this team and I really struggle with the idea that they would be capable of doing it. Timing is massive in football and I think hiring such an inexperienced man now could ruin him.

The end of the season I may be more receptive to Arteta but I don’t think now is the time

clovis

At some point you'll have to realise the manager doesn't have th tools to do the job but anyway. Carry on bursting blood vessels.

yes so?

the manager’s job is to get the right tools. That is the difference between a top manager and a mediocre once. The top manager can find tools but the mediocre ones cannot.

When Klopp had a left back problem, he solved it by signing Robertson for £8m.

When Emery had a centre back problem, he tried to solve it by signing a clown from Chelsea for £8m.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
Take it FWIW, but the resident ITK on Bluemoon said Arteta is a yes man who "doesn't tell it like it is". They seem perfectly fine with Domenec Torrent coming back to replace Arteta.

Pep and City pulling one on Arsenal, hyping up Arteta who turns out to be an absolute failure while getting back Pep's actually trusted right hand. Would be an absolute classic.

FinnGooner

Established Member
Emery could do well at Everton. He’s still not a bad coach, just not suited to manage a big club with superstar players. He was just a couple of years too early at Arsenal. We’ll be at his level soon.

Ashybashy86

Do you not see the irony here. In a year LCFC will be mugged of all their good players, be in Europe on a bone thin squad... Not sure BR is making the right call here.
LCFC are one on the best run clubs in the country, and not one who get "mugged". If they do sell their best players, it will be on their terms, with huge price tags. They find adequate replacements, too. Besides, I can see most of them staying for another season to play in the CL under Rodgers.

Justin1986

in Arteta's favour is he knows Arsenal's history, had been around to chronicle the decline, has had every opportunity to see the team in action, and has no doubt built up a clear idea of what needs to be done to halt it

Poch has these advantages too, though I doubt his heart would be as much in the task of restoring Arsenal's fortunes, and if he is tempted by the job it would be very recent

how can a second-tier manager who has spent his whole career in Spain be considered a safer bet?
Bad luck, I guess. I'm not completely against the idea, I'm just saying I probably wouldn't do it based on a hunch if I ran the club. Arteta is not just a wild card, he's the biggest risk out there. Club could be rewarded or go completely bust with such an appointment.
why is he the biggest risk tho just based on experience ? Emery was a risk and had experience , 18 months wasted , say we go for Marcelinho cos of experience and in 18 months we’re in the same place again , that’s 3 years Arteta could of
Had with us gaining his experience and stamping his philosophy on us , everything’s a risk, I just don’t wanna see us repeating the same
Mistakes and regretting what could
Of been

clovis

Things can definitely always get worse. We’d be taking a massive risk bringing in Arteta now. He’d be coming from an environment where he’s used to working with superior players, an attitude of winning and a coach who’s won practically everything the game has to offer.

Then he’s thrust into an environment where the players are used to not delivering and receiving little ramifications, lack of physical quality, lack of technical quality and a recruitment department that have shown time and again they don’t have a clue what they’re doing. I don’t know what his style would be but my hunch is he would look to try emulate Peps methods, I look at this team and I really struggle with the idea that they would be capable of doing it. Timing is massive in football and I think hiring such an inexperienced man now could ruin him.

The end of the season I may be more receptive to Arteta but I don’t think now is the time

Similarly,

Arteta spent 5 years at Arsenal when the club was relatively better than today but still not a top team by any measure..

A lot of problems that we have today were present during 2011-2016 as well.

Mentally weak players, poor tactics, injury problems, lightweight players getting bullied physically, no defensive structure and organization, frustrated fan base, relationship between the fans and the board etc.

He knows the club inside out and has first hand experience of the problems. He will have more of an idea of what to do compared to outsiders like Emery and Marcelino..

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
LCFC are one on the best run clubs in the country, and not one who get "mugged". If they do sell their best players, it will be on their terms, with huge price tags. They find adequate replacements, too.
Besides, I can see most of them staying for another season to play in the CL under Rodgers.
They are a well run club. Possibly the best and that is why they are having the fun they are. Problem for them is that it doesn't matter how well you run the club the status and brand you build is difficult in the football world because there are so many plastic glory hunters.

If a club in the champions league comes calling then your last sentence falls to the wayside. Not every player at LCFC is going to 'pull a vardy' on us. Guaranteed if Chelsea, United, Sp**s, Liverpool coming calling for James Maddison he goes... Several others like that too.
Yes, they do replace well but look how long it took them to recover after they won the title. Doesn't matter if you can replace, the initial blow from having your best players taken off you is huge.

P.S. I was the one who started the thread about LCFC/wolves getting into the top 4 this season. Everyone laughed at the idea mid august... Boy what an idiot I was being...

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes
From the outside its really hard to know who does what & the level of influence. City have a massive staff & one of the other assistant managers a hell of a CV.

I'm not making arguments against that neither do I claim Arteta is going to be special.

That's all for another topic.
But on that side, despite us all pretty much having lost trust in our management, I tend to believe there must be something about him, if Wenger and Pepe are raving about you and player's saying how much you affected them.

The board has done a lot of questionable stuff, but it would be naive to believe that we aren't looking deep for every candidate - they know much much more that is to see from the outside.

clovis

You do realise our managers have no say in transfers anymore. The whole point of the restructuring was to move resp0onsibility on. So this whole reply of yours is absolute garbage.

you really are clueless aren’t you? Arsenal is not a dictatorship anymore after Wenger, but to say that the manager has “no say” on the transfers anymore is ridiculous.

Emery is the reason why Ramsey was forced out. Raul and co will not bring any player to the club if the manager makes it very clear that he doesn’t want the player.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
I doubt you've actually watched him manage more than a handful of games. I've watched him a lot. He took over a Valencia club that was a mess, turned them back into a Champions League club, and the club has been a mess since he left. I would say this is accurate:

Six days earlier, Valencia had sacked manager Marcelino García Toral, the man who had led them to the Copa del Rey, their first title in 11 years and had taken them to Stamford Bridge in the first place: after finishing 14th in La Liga twice in a row, going through seven managers in two disastrous years, he had overseen their return to the Champions League, finishing fourth for two consecutive seasons. They hadn't had a manager this good since Rafa Benitez, who was in charge 19 managers ago. But then, four games into the new season, he had been sacked. There was no footballing reason, and no one tried to pretend there was.

https://global.espn.com/football/sp...ng-will-victory-at-chelsea-be-a-turning-point

Again, as much as I like Marcelino as a manager, he's not my first choice for Arsenal. But I certainly would not dismiss him. Some of the things being said about him on here are absolutely idiotic and display an ignorance of the game.

I live in Gijon 3 months of the year. While I haven't studied him I have a lot of friends who know all about him from playing and managing there. Hes not a top manager who will make a difference if they are to be believed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

At some clubs success is accidental. At Arsenal it is compulsory.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom