• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The tactics thread

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
No fix for the midfield internally. Each may have qualities but no pair or trio that complement each other. Not one disciplined or happy to sit.

Luckily the senior ones are reported to want out & the window opens in a few days. Its not an expensive job.

Wryer

Torreira was awesome in his first 3 months, until he got niggles and Emery did his thing.

He should be the one protecting the defense. No frills. Press, harass and keep things simple. He was doing so well at all these. Here and in Sampdoria. Even his passing was a few notches better when he played simply. He can go Abit higher when we are chasing a game, but there's really no point for it.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Torreira was awesome in his first 3 months, until he got niggles and Emery did his thing.

He should be the one protecting the defense. No frills. Press, harass and keep things simple. He was doing so well at all these. Here and in Sampdoria. Even his passing was a few notches better when he played simply. He can go Abit higher when we are chasing a game, but there's really no point for it.

Torreira has a decent pass on him when the games in front of him. I'd argue better than Xhaka. But that's where the game should be, in front of him. He should not be going up the pitch

pikey2000

Even in his first 3 months he wasn't played as a strict DM, we haven't played a strict DM for as long as i can remember, we play with a two and neither are dedicated to the DM role.

I still think if he gets deployed at DM with two CMs in front of him he will do a great job. We shall see what happens under Arteta.

bergholt

I like this, but would probably try Ceballos over Willock. I don't feel he had much of an opportunity yet, and with a young spanish coach, we might get a lot out of him.

Can't see the point of playing Ceballos, this year's a write off and he'll be gone in five months so focus on players who are our future.

Gunner-Union

We just so slow at progressing and never really hit any team on the break. We pass sideways and backwards every time we don’t change it up it’s all so predictable. We also need to tell our wingers to try beat players more often.
We need to big midfielders that can drive through with skill and power

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
We just so slow at progressing and never really hit any team on the break. We pass sideways and backwards every time we don’t change it up it’s all so predictable. We also need to tell our wingers to try beat players more often.
We need to big midfielders that can drive through with skill and power
Not necessarily big (although I'd like that) but just quicker, and able to move the ball quickly. Xhaka and Torreira were solid defensively but there was a lot of slow passing that allowed Everton to get into shape and once the ball was into the forwards, they didn't have the adventure to break them down with dribbling. Nelson tried a few times but got isolated, and Martinelli had the same fate more often than not. This led to a lot of passing backwards to maintain possession.

The few times we progressed well were when we made short passing combinations to create space - I can recall a few involving AMN, ESR, Xhaka and Nelson that were particularly intriguing. AMN, Nelson and ESR are all very skilled at playing those short passing combos but rarely are they going to play altogether in that way for now so we can't rely on that nucleus.

It must also be said that our final 3rd combinations need TONS of work. Auba had no chemistry with ESR, Nelson or Martinelli upfront. ESR had an off-day in possession which left Nelson as the one ball-dominant player in the forward line who actually was decent in possession but didn't have anyone else to bounce off of in there. This is where he needs to be brave and take responsibility but he has not built up the confidence yet to play his natural game. Given how little Auba contributed to the game, it's a shame that Pepe wasn't given a run. He may have a knock but he'd have been able to use the ball well in the final 3rd at least if given the space and options. Perhaps in place of one of Martinelli or Nelson.

I have my own opinions about the best way to facilitate this but will hold them back for now as I want to see how the next few games play out.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Was very proud to see that lineup v/s Everton. So many of our own players. Will be very happy if they keep playing them again and again.

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
Even in his first 3 months he wasn't played as a strict DM, we haven't played a strict DM for as long as i can remember, we play with a two and neither are dedicated to the DM role.

I still think if he gets deployed at DM with two CMs in front of him he will do a great job. We shall see what happens under Arteta.

The double pivot leaves us loopsided

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

and Xhaka seemed to drop in to cover LB when Saka went forward a couple of times as well. definitely some subtle differences.
This is something the team has been doing much too little of, i.e. covering for each other when a player vacates his space.

Also liked the fact that our FBs clearly had different tasks and that not both bombed forward but that we left enough players back defending. Together with an overall more compact setup it made us more balanced allowing us to break up play in transition better.

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

Player:Martinelli
Can't see the point of playing Ceballos, this year's a write off and he'll be gone in five months so focus on players who are our future.

Disagree. Don't think Madrid fancy him and if we have a chance of buying Ceballos then we should take it, he's absolute quality and definitely needed if Özil leaves as we'll lack both creativity AND physicality if both go, leading to us needing a minimum two players.

That other Madrid kid Fede Valverde would ironically be perfect alongside Ceballos, and I'd prefer it happened here than there.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Disagree. Don't think Madrid fancy him and if we have a chance of buying Ceballos then we should take it, he's absolute quality and definitely needed if Özil leaves as we'll lack both creativity AND physicality if both go, leading to us needing a minimum two players.

That other Madrid kid Fede Valverde would ironically be perfect alongside Ceballos, and I'd prefer it happened here than there.
Only issue with Ceballos is his lack of purpose in possession. Vs Burnley was a perfect microcosm of everything he could bring technically in terms of his dribbling, passing and overall in-game intelligence. Quite a few of his performances individually have involved a lot of faffing about a la Guendouzi in possession however, and more than one casual pass that would have made even AMN wince. It also doesn't help that he's not the quickest in a midfield that's already pretty slow and lacking in pure athleticism.

That said, there's a lot to be done with Ceballos and I wouldn't call him a write off - he's clearly very talented and creative in deeper areas - something we could do with. In any event, I think the midfield might be due a little bit of a makeover anyway, particularly with Xhaka potentially leaving and soon.

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

Player:Martinelli
Only issue with Ceballos is his lack of purpose in possession. Vs Burnley was a perfect microcosm of everything he could bring technically in terms of his dribbling, passing and overall in-game intelligence. Quite a few of his performances individually have involved a lot of faffing about a la Guendouzi in possession however, and more than one casual pass that would have made even AMN wince. It also doesn't help that he's not the quickest in a midfield that's already pretty slow and lacking in pure athleticism.

That said, there's a lot to be done with Ceballos and I wouldn't call him a write off - he's clearly very talented and creative in deeper areas - something we could do with. In any event, I think the midfield might be due a little bit of a makeover anyway, particularly with Xhaka potentially leaving and soon.

Can't diagree with most of that honestly, but a lot of these problems are coaching isssues and can be worked on in training. Ceballos seems to bring similar upsides as Xhaka but with fewer downsides.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom