• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

General Reserves Talk

• Thread starter M+D
  • Start date
  • Replies 11,736
  • Views 1,149,962

Jasard

Forum Issue Troubleshooter

Unrelated but can't decide if it's worth a thread. We've apparently got rid of as many as 8 people from the recruitment staff including head of youth recruitment.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Unrelated but can't decide if it's worth a thread. We've apparently got rid of as many as 8 people from the recruitment staff including head of youth recruitment.

Morrow going is interesting. Perhaps they want to do more to match Chelsea and currently Palace' recruitment in London. I think our coaching in that time has improved a lot but perhaps we need even stronger recruitment in order to bolster the options available when promoting to the 1st team.

Very interesting.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐

Fabulous interview with Marcel Lucassen. Arguably the most important person in our youth set-up - credited as one of the architects of the resurgence of German football post-2006.

I'm gonna expand more on the article when I am home so I can read it again.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐

Fabulous interview with Marcel Lucassen. Arguably the most important person in our youth set-up - credited as one of the architects of the resurgence of German football post-2006.

I'm gonna expand more on the article when I am home so I can read it again.

Here's the full interview:

Head of development exclusive
Arsenal’s Lucassen: Many “coaches haven’t got a clue and try to mask that with words”

There are people in football clubs, who rarely make public appearances, although they sit in crucial positions. Marcel Lucassen (photo), head of development at Arsenal, is one of those.

Every person needs an incitement and Lucassen’s is to make players and coaches better. What maybe sounds like a cliché, the 56-year-old lives for: “After all, there’s nothing bigger than getting acknowledgments like ‘You’ve improved me’ or ‘I’ve never seen it like this before’.”

Staff
_1377241790.jpg

M. LucassenAge: 56
11.png

Arsenal FC

As head of coach and player development, responsible for all coaches and teams from under-9s to under-23s, his first official act was implementing a playing philosophy. “When I arrived at Arsenal, I firstly wanted to know, what the club stands for in general. The problem was that no coach could answer me that exactly. As a result, we collectively developed the ‘Way of Arsenal’, for which philosophy our teams from under-9s to under-23s stand for and also set an example of.”

What possibly sounds easy took months. “Because it was a collective project,” Lucassen, who worked as director of football at Al-Nasr in Dubai in front of his engagement at Arsenal, explains. “Because I cannot simply come here and say: That’s how we do it now. I have to convince the people, take them on board and explain why this plan is the right one.”

Arsenal’s Lucassen: “I disapprove of systems”

Exemplary for a clear playing philosophy and a playing system, which is implemented from the youth teams upwards, are Barcelona and Ajax. Amongst other things, Víctor Valdés set against playing in the predefined 4-3-3 system and had to leave his role as Barça’s U-19 coach as a result. Although Arsenal defined the 4-3-3 as the default system for every youth team as well, every coach from the U-15 onwards can decide himself, how he lets his team play.

Youth setups in comparison: The homegrown talents of Barcelona and Ajax

On the topic of systems, Lucassen, who also was a technical coach under Ralf Rangnick at Hoffenheim, as well as occupying a similar role to the one in London at the DFB between 2008 and 2015, has his own opinion: “I disapprove of systems. For me, there is way too much talk about them. It starts, when I ask people, which systems they know. Then the answer is 4-4-2 or 4-3-3. That means, football is played by ten people? If I talk about systems, it is 1-4-3-3 for example. Or does the goalkeeper have a role as an outsider in the team?”

According to Lucassen, many coaches are determined by their favourite system rather than taking the existing players into account. “The playing philosophy should be fixed, the system variable,” the 56-year-old emphasises. Does that mean that football is very simple? Lucassen thinks so. “There are six basic principles, which are features of football: Start the attack, create an attack and finish an attack. Contrary to that, defend as highly as possible, as quickly as possible and initiate transitional play. And to whom this is still to complicated: “If you lose the ball, win it back,” he explains with a chuckle.

Lucassen: “None of these coaches says, how you can improve it”

And why are technical terms thrown around? “Because most coaches haven’t got a clue themselves and try to mask that with words,” Lucassen continues. A serious accusation, as ultimately most coaches obtained a licence and therefore should have a clue about football. This, the Venlo-born Arsenal employee disagrees with. “Why does a baker or a craftsman work through an apprenticeship of multiple years? If he baked buns for ten times, he also knows how it works. It is about learning the basics and picking up experience. These skills, I don’t obtain when I’ve been to a block instruction for ten times. I think it would make more sense if the education takes multiple years.”

Lucassen adds an example for this: “Everyone knows the kind of coaches, who tell their players: ‘Focus more, play a clean pass, don’t get caught offside.’ But none of these coaches come up and tell you how to improve it.”

Instead of criticising, he offers measures for improvement: “I’m certainly not a coach that never makes a mistake. But I reflect a lot and look in the mirror. If I expect that it is taken for granted by a player to move in spaces, then he should also take it for granted that I explain to him how it works. And should mistakes still happen then, I have to analyse the situation precisely. Is the body weight shifted in the wrong way? Does he think about the next step already in this situation or did he make this mistake once in ten tries?” Because of this, Arsenal sign youth coaches only after practical training sessions: “We want to see: Is he able to learn, if and how he uses his experience?”

Lucassen on supreme discipline: Players coach each other during games

Lucassen thinks that emotional coaching is out of place on the sidelines - and explains what he thinks is the supreme discipline for a coach: “From the moment on, when the referee blows the starting whistle, football is a pure player sport. Because of the crowd, no player understands what the coach shouts in from the outside. In training, I have the possibility to interrupt situations and to explain. An outstanding coach manages that players coach each other during games.”

The success of a team depends on the design of training sessions amongst other things: “A week of training should be designed with a single focus. I have to put the team in situations for them to get awareness for it and for automatisms to develop. I don’t accomplish that if I train defensive behaviour today and transitional play in the next two days.”

Lucassen considers that players are also allowed to make mistakes: “Assuming that a player runs towards an opponent and tries to pass him with a stepover but fails. Then there are two kinds of coaches: The first one gives the player hell, so that he never does a stepover again because he fears the consequences. The second kind accomplishes to get a self-reflection from the player with specific questions, so that he thinks about it and decides if a stepover makes sense depending on the situation.” It cannot be forgotten that footballers “are also human beings and need a secure environment to be successful”.

While the assumption that Arsenal have a lot of money and can almost sign any player is obvious, Lucassen demands to rely on youth more often: “Why are clubs on a world class level only for a period? Because there will be a rebuilding phase after time, new players from other clubs come in and these players need time to settle in. If I take youth players instead of expensive new signings, they maybe make one or two mistakes more, but they have the advantage of non-verbal communication. Because they played together in the youth setup for years, they know how the other works and especially about the patters of movements. In the end the rebuilding phase is significantly shorter.”

Interview by Henrik Stadnischenko

I underlined the significant parts of the interview - or at least that were of interest to me. To me, Lucassen's philosophy on coaching doesn't appear to be very different from Wenger's but there is a method here by which he is looking to teach both our players and coaches - emphasising intelligence and being able to coach among themselves. We did talk about Vieira ignoring Wenger's tactics, but in essence it is not exactly something Wenger tried to prevent - in fact that's probably what he wanted Vieira to do anyway. He was about letting the players express themselves.

Lucassen here seems to be looking to implement a stronger framework with which to work this ideology around, which is something I've advocated for since before the academy was due an overhaul. His role as a technical coach and consultant for both Hoffenheim and the German FA really backs up his credentials and I'm eager to see what kind of development comes from within. Physically, tactically and technically, we could see newer generations of our academy become even stronger as a result, creating a talent pool which we can easily bring into first team focus as well as for resources.

Here's something I just found aswell:

Gonna have a quick read of this before bed. I like to see interviews like this, gives me hope for the future. We need more people like this closer to the first team to strengthen the players we already have.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Jeorge Bird report from yesterday:

Big fan of Smith - he has grown on me a lot since the first time I saw him. Very technical, superb passer - perhaps even better than Burton at it. Smith does need to work on dealing with physical midfielders though, he's had the run-around from quite a few since coming up to the U18s but he is improving a lot regardless, and is the kind of clever player we could always do with. Was the captain and an important figure in the U18 team last season that won the PL south title.

Afro Mugo

Jeorge Bird report from yesterday:

Big fan of Smith - he has grown on me a lot since the first time I saw him. Very technical, superb passer - perhaps even better than Burton at it. Smith does need to work on dealing with physical midfielders though, he's had the run-around from quite a few since coming up to the U18s but he is improving a lot regardless, and is the kind of clever player we could always do with. Was the captain and an important figure in the U18 team last season that won the PL south title.

Smith looks like one of those players who'll go under the radar in youth football but come into life in first team football. When I think of him , I think of Harry Winks (I know , he's a c***) . Winks went under the radar at youth level. At the age of 20 he had only played about 3 games for S***, 30 at the age of 21; but his techinichal qualities solely enabled him transition to first team where playing with Sissoko and Wanyama, gifted athletes covered for his physical limitations until a point where he's grown physically and become more intelligent tactically. At youth level teams are rarely balanced. Smith regularly played with Cottrell and Azeez plus Swanson and Lopez at fullback who are more technical than they are physical hence all their deficiencies glare at your eyes . At first team level , teams are more balanced and I feel it'll allow his technical qualities to shine. He's grown a lot physically this year, he looks bigger and taller . He needs a lot of luck on his side though . He's a superb passer of the ball from deep, better than Burton, and I feel he's role in u18s superb season was underrated because of Balogun exploits.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Smith looks like one of those players who'll go under the radar in youth football but come into life in first team football. When I think of him , I think of Harry Winks (I know , he's a c***) . Winks went under the radar at youth level. At the age of 20 he had only played about 3 games for S***, 30 at the age of 21; but his techinichal qualities solely enabled him transition to first team where playing with Sissoko and Wanyama, gifted athletes covered for his physical limitations until a point where he's grown physically and become more intelligent tactically. At youth level teams are rarely balanced. Smith regularly played with Cottrell and Azeez plus Swanson and Lopez at fullback who are more technical than they are physical hence all their deficiencies glare at your eyes . At first team level , teams are more balanced and I feel it'll allow his technical qualities to shine. He's grown a lot physically this year, he looks bigger and taller . He needs a lot of luck on his side though . He's a superb passer of the ball from deep, better than Burton, and I feel he's role in u18s superb season was underrated because of Balogun exploits.
I think hes fine next to one of Azeez or Olayinka. Azeez takes it easy but hes a pretty powerful athlete once he gets going. Olayinka is a good runner aswell and always gives you good work rate and intelligence. Alongside similar midfielders to himself and it can be a bit samey.

He is defo looking a lot bigger though. Seems to have gotten wider shoulders and looks like he can keep possession. Hes been at the weights. I dont mind that as he isn't that quick but needs to continue being agile in possession aswell. I like him more than Burton aswell tbh and Balogun overshadowed all the other impressive performers last year (Smith, Clarke, Cottrell, McGuiness, Coyle etc).

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
He is attacking from right there.

Interesting, I was led to believe he played in midfield or from left.

Guess he is lefty and they are seeing potential in him cutting inside from right?
He's been played all over that attacking midfield to be fair. Seems to have versatility there, very interesting - especially given Marcelo Flores is also a strong presence in the team.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
Told you all Omari is great. Look at his dribbling, skills and technique.
Chelsea has Hudson odoi but our academy hasn’t been producing that level of talent since Gnabry.
Nelson, Saka are good but not even close.

Do you really think our Chelsea rejects tap in merchant (who doesn’t contribute in build up play), can match with Abraham’s football skills and physical strength (which is useful in the team’s tactical play and in the building up phase)?
Only good with finishing and tap in? so where is he for the rest of 85 mins when our team needs help to progress up the pitch?
Overhyping our own player is disgusting. Fact is our academy is not as great as Chelsea or City. To restructure our academy staff is the right step to take, so well done Arsenal.

Last edited:

teamsoutheast

Told you all Omari is great. Look at his dribbling, skills and technique.
Chelsea has Hudson odoi but our academy hasn’t been producing that level of talent since Gnabry.
Nelson, Saka are good but not even close.

Do you really think our Chelsea rejects tap in merchant (who doesn’t contribute in build up play), can match with Abraham’s football skills and physical strength (which is useful in the team’s tactical play and in the building up phase)?
Only good with finishing and tap in? so where is he for the rest of 85 mins when our team needs help to progress up the pitch?
Overhyping our own player is disgusting. Fact is our academy is not as great as Chelsea or City. To restructure our academy staff is the right step to take, so well done Arsenal.
Yeah Chelsea's academy is excellent but I disagree about City's academy. Chelsea seem to have this knack of getting players who are physically built like men at age 17/18. Our youngsters don't seem physical enough to make it to the 1st team early unless they have a significant growth spurt.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Was looking at the current U23/U18 team and thinking of who would be useful to Arteta in the mid-term - as in who could impress on a tour in pre-season and work his way into cameo/bench status. Of the U23s, we're in a bit of a transitional period IMO. There's some promising talent there who I think could work their way into being squad guys at least - John-Jules, Balogun and Matt Smith would be the ones I look at. I think Harry Clarke is talented but would need to see more. I think Robbie Burton definitely has a case - I prefer Smith but I like Burton aswell, he has that little bit of aggression to his game that will help him. Can see him becoming a very solid PL-level player.

I think John-Jules and Smith of the U23 team are players who will really impress if given the opportunity though. Matt Smith has fast become one of my favorite prospects at the club. An amazing passer of the ball at his best, his lack of physical strength seems to have been somewhat remedied. Meanwhile John-Jules to me is the quintessential modern #9 stylistically. How good he actually becomes is up in the air but I think he has the all-round game, the physical attributes and the mentality to go very far. He needs to be a tad more clinical at times - something Balogun has no issue with. Greenwood needs a bit more time with the U23s IMO. I almost forgot Ben Cottrell aswell - I think he needs a bit more time with U23s aswell but he's very promising aswell.

From the U18s, there's a LOT of potential there but only one name I could call close enough to contention: Miguel Azeez. By the end of the season, the likes of Cirjan and Patino could also be talked about, as well as a few of the defenders who've been called promising, but Azeez is the clear star of the team and I think he should be playing U23 football already right now. He may even bypass it. He's that good IMO. Perfect CM, great technician and passer, can dribble out of trouble, good shot, combative defender aswell. I think if he has a weakness, it's that he could perhaps play with a bit more intensity - when he plays with purpose he's beastly.

Top Bottom