• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Aston La Vista To The Title?

Sydney-Gooner

Hoping 'Teta can have a similar impact to these two...unsure if he will be backed enough to win a league, but backing him to take the cups seriously...amazing that if Arteta can even win the FA Cup this year, in six months he will have a more worthwhile coaching career that Poch...amazing!

Also, Arsène win 7 FA Cups...and 7 Shields...love that trophy, can't believe you didn't count those ;)

I was just comparing both their first nine years managing Arsenal since Graham was only here nine years compared to Wenger's 22. Didn't bother including the Community Shield because it's nothing more than a glorified friendly.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Tbf this whole top four trophy only became a thing because of the bloated new Champions League and the money that came with it. Prior to that only trophies mattered.

In terms of trophies Graham compares quite favourably to Wenger during his nine years compared to Wenger's. Obviously Wenger still has the edge for winning one more league title but we weren't exactly nobodies going entire decades without winning things.

GG: 2 League Titles, 1 FA Cup, 2 League Cups and 1 European Cup Winners Cup

AW: 3 League Titles and 4 FA Cups
No comparison in only 8yrs he finished 10th and 12th in two of those years. Not to mention, there were no oligarch clubs in those days . . and he took a bung and went to Sp**s.

Taneruit

Established Member

Player:Zinchenko
Tbf this whole top four trophy only became a thing because of the bloated new Champions League and the money that came with it. Prior to that only trophies mattered.

Unpopular opinion: They are still the only thing that matters.

The money does help in potentially achieving something, but manager, board, owner, overrated players can immediatly set fire to that ambition. Not to mention overly rich owners dilutes even the monetary value.

In the end though, unless you actually win it, nobody ****ing cares if you qualified for the Champions League. In 100 years nobody is going to look at a book about football history and say *WOW, that club has qualified X times for the champions league. What an achievement!*

So far, nobody is going to remember that WE were ever in the champions league, except for having lost to Barcelona in a final, either.

asukru

Established Member

Player:Martinelli
Hope you realize that players like Auba are certain to be gone next season without CL football...........

As much as that would suck, then so be it I say. Arteta will bring us back to the glory days but it will take time and if the players we have aren't willing to stick it out then it is what it is I guess.

irishgunnerz

AWOL
Trusted ⭐
Unpopular opinion: They are still the only thing that matters.

The money does help in potentially achieving something, but manager, board, owner, overrated players can immediatly set fire to that ambition. Not to mention overly rich owners dilutes even the monetary value.

In the end though, unless you actually win it, nobody ****ing cares if you qualified for the Champions League. In 100 years nobody is going to look at a book about football history and say *WOW, that club has qualified X times for the champions league. What an achievement!*

So far, nobody is going to remember that WE were ever in the champions league, except for having lost to Barcelona in a final, either.

Disagree. Maybe in 10-20 years that might be the case but the CL still is the premier club competition in the world and I ****ing miss it.

• Arshavin against Barca
  • Fabregas announcing himself with THAT tackle against Real
  • The 5-1 hammering of Inter at the San Siro
  • The agony of falling just short when beating Milan 3-0 at the San Siro only to out on away goals
  • Beating Bayern and Dortmund in Germany when both clubs were in an incredible run of form
  • Theo's slaloming run against Liverpool to setup Adebayor before we ****ed it up
Football is all about emotion and those big European nights were bloody amazing. It's hard to get as worked up over a wet Thursday night in some godforsaken stadium playing Vorskla Poltava.

Honestly we never knew how good we had it

(and honestly couldn't care what people think in 100 years VAR Wil have killed off the game as we know it by then!)

Taneruit

Established Member

Player:Zinchenko
Disagree. Maybe in 10-20 years that might be the case but the CL still is the premier club competition in the world and I ****ing miss it.

• Arshavin against Barca
  • Fabregas announcing himself with THAT tackle against Real
  • The 5-1 hammering of Inter at the San Siro
  • The agony of falling just short when beating Milan 3-0 at the San Siro only to out on away goals
  • Beating Bayern and Dortmund in Germany when both clubs were in an incredible run of form
  • Theo's slaloming run against Liverpool to setup Adebayor before we ****ed it up
Football is all about emotion and those big European nights were bloody amazing. It's hard to get as worked up over a wet Thursday night in some godforsaken stadium playing Vorskla Poltava.

Honestly we never knew how good we had it

(and honestly couldn't care what people think in 100 years VAR Wil have killed off the game as we know it by then!)

If thats your thinking Sp**s had a bloody good last 5 years.

And I remember those moments too, but they are moments. They're fleeting. They don't stay. Trophies stay. It's nothing I'll tell my grandkids about, because they will just look at me weirdly and say *Yeah, cool. Did we win something from that?*
In comparison winning the league at White Heart Lane or our Invincibles season in general are stories that will stay forever in Arsenal fans hearts. Now and in the future.

But I guess that comes down to a matter of opinion and viewpoint.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel

And I remember those moments too, but they are moments. They're fleeting. They don't stay. Trophies stay. It's nothing I'll tell my grandkids about, because they will just look at me weirdly and say *Yeah, cool. Did we win something from that?*
In comparison winning the league at White Heart Lane or our Invincibles season are stories that will stay forever in Arsenal fans hearts. Now and in the future. That is a special kind of win.

George Graham, and ****ing Juande Ramos are more successful managers for Sp**s than Poch...and I love it :rofl:

irishgunnerz

AWOL
Trusted ⭐

In comparison winning the league at White Heart Lane or our Invincibles season in general are stories that will stay forever in Arsenal fans hearts. Now and in the future.

Think you're proving my point. Talk to any Sp**s fan and yeah they have.

Thankfully Mourinho is now onboard to take them back to their rightful place.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Who cares about how the club is remembered? Yeah it's a nice facet of winning a competition but winning it and experiencing that joy is surely the main motivation.

irishgunnerz

AWOL
Trusted ⭐
If that was the case A-M would have been a paradise of peace, tranquility and joy when we won the FA Cup 3 times in the last 6 seasons.

Last time we won it we also finished 5th. Suddenly the same fans who demanded we take the FA Cup seriously dismissed the season as an absolute failure as we finished out side the CL.

Listen this is my own view. As time goes by memories fade and you're left with those that brought out the fiercest emotional response from you.

Some are obvious - I can tell you exactly where I was when Wiltord scored at OT to win us the league (in a pun in Ireland, the iy Arsenal fan amongst about 59 United fans)

Or where I was when Vieira scored against Sp**s during the Invincibles season (listening to 5Live in the car)

Or when Bergkamp scored THAT goal against Newcastle (at a cousins)

Or the 5-1 defeat of Inter at San Siro (at my gf's place)

Or the Henry flick, turn and volley against United (same pub as the Wiiiiillllltttooorrrd game)

For the last one, we didn't win the league that season. Had to check it on Wikipedia because I didn't have a clue...and in absolutely no way did it take from the memory because you remember the big moments from the big games against big opposition.

I remember those goals and the away CL performances against Inter, Real, Milan far better than I remember the 4-0 Cup final win against Villa - and that was only a few years ago.

Personally I couldn't care less what the history books say as amongst other memories, what I will tell the grandkids about (whether they want to hear it or not) are the times Arsenal left me speechless (Wilshere against Norwich) or jumping up and down like a maniac (after Arshavin scored the inner against Barca) or when the only thing I could say to express the feelings inside was a '****ing hell what... what a game ( the 4-4 against Liverpool)

Am fiercely proud of the Invincibles season and desperately hope Liverpool will **** it up this year because that gold trophy belongs to us and us alone - but as time goes by, the 2003-'04 performances are fading into a broader memory of the players on show in or around that time.

Same as many here don't associate the last few years of Wenger's reign with the FA Cup wins - they will just remember those as the dark years. Or how I can't remember how we played when Morrow scored the winer against Wednesday (mainly just remember Adam's dropping him during the celebrations, breaking the poor bastard's arm)

Anyway that was a long rambling post a out something majority will disagree with or see it as a loser mentality and all that's wrong with the club now.

Good excuse to look back at YouTube and remember though

Last edited:

Kysus

Life is fleeting, life is about enjoying those fleeting moments and not assembling accomplishments noone gives a **** about for your ego.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
I think both arguments are right...football is about remembering moments that make you happy, players/goals/wins/matches etc...but there is also something very special about seeing the club you love lift a trophy, every time I see Arsène with that gold trophy :drool:

Would edge towards winning trophies being the best thing about football, as good as those other moments are, there is nothing quite like that.

Furious

Emery Gone, Telly Back On
They can just have that training camp at Colney or even somewhere out in Spain, travelling that far in the middle of the season doesn't make sense.

2 weeks off, don't think the long flight is gonna do much harm.

Yeah Spain would be good. As long as it's outside London, get them to bond together, etc.

Reactions: A_G

EmeryCouldnt

Established Member
Who cares about how the club is remembered? Yeah it's a nice facet of winning a competition but winning it and experiencing that joy is surely the main motivation.

Having principles and morals is important. If you only want to win, you could support any top club.

Arsenal Quotes

When I arrived, an Arsenal share was worth £800; it subsequently rose continuously in value and by the time I left it stood at £17,000.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom