• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: 2019/20 Performances

Why Isn't Özil Playing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

say yes

forum master baiter
Don’t think this is fair, and actually says a lot about how you’re approaching this situation given my current Özil stance is in line with what I have been saying for weeks - footballers not being pressured into compromising their wages unless there is a clear need with no alternatives.

This has been my stance for weeks in the Covid thread whenever footballer wages have come up, long before this Özil situation.

I don’t give a toss about Özil, think he should be sold now or should’ve been sold last season, Raul and Vinai did say they won’t let players run deals down but we have 4/5 players running deals down after losing Ramsey for free. The real discussion now has to be how long Raul Sanhelli can survive at Arsenal given Arsenal are going backwards on the pitch and there are no improvements off it in terms of recruitment and contracts.
Fair enough Gary, just felt that you were twisting the narrative somewhat. Didn't mean to be unfair and I'm glad you agree that Özil needs to be sold.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Shambles of a comment this.

Hardly a devout follower of Özil, was one of the first to call him washed but if you’d rather pipe off the club that doesn’t give a toss about you but still wants it’s 12.5% back then feel free. Mug.

But some club demanded bigger wage cut than us and their players obliged. Infact, 12.5% wage cut is the lowest I've seen a club demand yet Özil which is one of the highest earners in Europe refused.

The club hast lost millions of dollars in revenues because of lack of matchday revenue. The club is actually bleeding money without any revenue. The Club did the responsible thing by negotiating with players about the possibility of a wage cut, all but three (of which Özil who is by far our highest earner is among).

It smacks of a player that doesn't care about the club and is just here to fleece us and move on. He knows his days as a top level footballer is over that's why he's refusing to take a paycut and not some bullsh!t that Dr Sogut put out about Özil "exploring his option"

I'm certain that if everybody on planet Earth took a paycut and Özil refuses, some of Özil's acolytes will still find a way to defend him.

I read some fake lawyer on here saying that Özil is morally right to refuse a paycut :lol:

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Don’t think this is fair, and actually says a lot about how you’re approaching this situation given my current Özil stance is in line with what I have been saying for weeks - footballers not being pressured into compromising their wages unless there is a clear need with no alternatives.

This has been my stance for weeks in the Covid thread whenever footballer wages have come up, long before this Özil situation.

I don’t give a toss about Özil, think he should be sold now or should’ve been sold last season, Raul and Vinai did say they won’t let players run deals down but we have 4/5 players running deals down after losing Ramsey for free. The real discussion now has to be how long Raul Sanhelli can survive at Arsenal given Arsenal are going backwards on the pitch and there are no improvements off it in terms of recruitment and contracts.
This is the most objective I've seen you post regarding Özil

Fair play

say yes

forum master baiter
I don’t get how other top clubs have agreed wage cuts with their players with the difference going to charity and other good causes yet we’re pleading poverty and the club survival is on the line if they can’t get 12.5% back.

How poorly a ran club are we ffs? We’re one of the biggest clubs in the world and our future rests on Özil giving his money back while Utd and others are leading the way.

Ultimately he should take a pay cut but all this “protect the club” is laughable, in a time of global crisis with small businesses and ordinary people facing incredibly uncertain futures crisis docking wages of millionaires to bail out football clubs worth 2 billion with an owner who’s one of the richest men in America should be way down the list in priorities.

Ultimately I think the club has been very underhand, using the court of public opinion to try and drive a wage cut through and save themselves some money.
I think it's too early to compare what we've done with other clubs yet. By all accounts, almost every club is trying to come to some sort of money saving arrangement. Will be fairer to compare what Arsenal have done vs. what they have done when the dust has settled.

As regards your question: we are (or at least have been) incredibly badly run. Our club finances were built around qualifying for the CL, and we've failed to do that for three years straight while continuing to pay CL wages to our players. Our situation isn't really comparable to anyone else in the top 6, and certainly not to United who are a financial behemoth. Doesn't help that we rely so much on gate receipts (which of course are currently £0) as opposed to commercial income either. Closest comparison is probably Sp**s but worth bearing in mind they've qualified for the CL for 4 seasons straight (whereas if the season ends now we'll miss out for a 4th time straight), their wage bill is still tiny compared to ours, and they are flush with cash from reaching the CL final last season. @bingobob wrote a great post explaining why the club are so desperate to cut costs a few pages ago.

Anyway, no-one is claiming that Arsenal are about to go bankrupt. The point is that we are desperate to make the CL, to do that we need to spend, and our (already small) budget is going to be absolutely clobbered by this crisis. That's why the club are scrambling to cut costs where they can, and given that player wages are the club's biggest cost, and those players (a) aren't playing; (b) don't really need the money; and (c) should have a vested interest in the club becoming stronger, I think it was an entirely sensible request for them to make.

Heskey

🌑 🌘🌗🌖🌕🌔🌓🌒
Trusted ⭐
Every now and then there's a comment or two in here I want to respond to, but eh...

giphy.gif

Kav

Established Member
I read some fake lawyer on here saying that Özil is morally right to refuse a paycut :lol:

I've been reading these threads for a few pages and i have not seen where anyone has said that Özil is morally right to refuse a paycut.

So prove it and show us. Otherwise you just come across as not only dishonest but stupid at worst.

People like you and that other guy are too dense to admit that they are wrong and keep digging a hole for themselves with their immaturity. It is clear that the you lack reasonable comprehension skills.

GDeep™

League is very weak
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/metr...irus-pay-cuts-says-martin-keown-12606316/amp/

Keown saying what I said the other day, if Wenger was here he would’ve sorted out this pay issue.

Keown goes further though, says Wenger should still be at the club. I agree I think, his knowledge is vastly superior to anyone else we have.

scytheavatar

Established Member
Thats not my point, my point is why is it going back to the club?

Because the club is in freaking trouble? Have you been paying attention to what I have written? 25% of the club's revenue is gone. There's now talk of no live audience until next year. Every sports club is in trouble, do you seriously think football will be the same again after the COVID?

Anyway, no-one is claiming that Arsenal are about to go bankrupt.
Arsenal are about to go bankrupt. Every football club is in danger of going bankrupt.

Last edited:

scytheavatar

Established Member

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

Good to see the Özil thread still going strong although I personally feel a bit queasy. Maybe I shouldn't have injected that disinfectant after all... Tried it as eye drops also, but it stings like hell... Hmmm... where were we?

Camron

Photoshop King
Trusted ⭐

Player:Martinelli
Wenger let Özil walk all over him and take breaks whenever he liked, what can he sort out that Arteta couldn't?
Probably would have sold Aubameyang and one of Martinelli/Saka to compensate for the loss while taking the full blame claiming it was his decision.

Kav

Established Member
Because the club is in freaking trouble? Have you been paying attention to what I have written? 25% of the club's revenue is gone. There's now talk of no live audience until next year. Every sports club is in trouble, do you seriously think football will be the same again after the COVID?

Arsenal are about to go bankrupt. Every football club is in danger of going bankrupt.

How do you get to that figure of 25% of the club revenue being gone. We already played 28 out of 38 of our league matches. Are you saying those 10 games account for 1/4 of our total revenue. That i doubt.

The new league will resume later this year, i don't think the fallout from match day earnings from this season is as severe as you and others are making it out to be. We earn significantly more from TV and Player sales and that is where we need to be concerned.

To be honest the match day earnings are due a nose dive cough * ticket prices * cough.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

I think it's too early to compare what we've done with other clubs yet. By all accounts, almost every club is trying to come to some sort of money saving arrangement. Will be fairer to compare what Arsenal have done vs. what they have done when the dust has settled.

As regards your question: we are (or at least have been) incredibly badly run. Our club finances were built around qualifying for the CL, and we've failed to do that for three years straight while continuing to pay CL wages to our players. Our situation isn't really comparable to anyone else in the top 6, and certainly not to United who are a financial behemoth. Doesn't help that we rely so much on gate receipts (which of course are currently £0) as opposed to commercial income either. Closest comparison is probably Sp**s but worth bearing in mind they've qualified for the CL for 4 seasons straight (whereas if the season ends now we'll miss out for a 4th time straight), their wage bill is still tiny compared to ours, and they are flush with cash from reaching the CL final last season. @bingobob wrote a great post explaining why the club are so desperate to cut costs a few pages ago.

Anyway, no-one is claiming that Arsenal are about to go bankrupt. The point is that we are desperate to make the CL, to do that we need to spend, and our (already small) budget is going to be absolutely clobbered by this crisis. That's why the club are scrambling to cut costs where they can, and given that player wages are the club's biggest cost, and those players (a) aren't playing; (b) don't really need the money; and (c) should have a vested interest in the club becoming stronger, I think it was an entirely sensible request for them to make.

I think I’m just shocked by how after the club has preached about security and sustainability for years with giant cash reserves we’re apparently up sh*t creek after an unexpected delay.

Ultimately if the club is in trouble then yes pay cuts for survival are acceptable, even if it is a bit of a slap in the face to regular people up and down the country.

However I’m sorry but the argument of "well the wage cut will help us compete better next year" alongside people spinning it as a bad thing that players don't feel they should be given the burden of funding transfers out of their own pocket is ridiculous.

We're in bizarro world here. “I'm your boss, I'd like you and everyone else to take a 10% paycut during coronavirus so that we can hire new people.” In what other industry would that be acceptable?

At what point do you hold Kroenke and KSE responsible for providing extra money for transfer budgets? If the budget is looking smaller for next year then I don’t know who else is responsible for that other than the owners.

Reactions: Kav

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

I think I’m just shocked by how after the club has preached about security and sustainability for years with giant cash reserves we’re apparently up sh*t creek after an unexpected delay.

Ultimately if the club is in trouble then yes pay cuts for survival are acceptable, even if it is a bit of a slap in the face to regular people up and down the country.

However I’m sorry but the argument of "well the wage cut will help us compete better next year" alongside people spinning it as a bad thing that players don't feel they should be given the burden of funding transfers out of their own pocket is ridiculous.

We're in bizarro world here. “I'm your boss, I'd like you and everyone else to take a 10% paycut during coronavirus so that we can hire new people.” In what other industry would that be acceptable?

At what point do you hold Kroenke and KSE responsible for providing extra money for transfer budgets? If the budget is looking smaller for next year then I don’t know who else is responsible for that other than the owners.

This is what gets me. Footballers are being shamed and emotionally blackmailed by a person much richer than them saying they have to take a cut because it helps the club, even tho that person has enough money to bail the club out of whatever financial difficulty it gets itself into. Secondly, we're under absolutely no guarantee that we'll be using the saved money in terms of a transfer budget. I mean the evidence suggests that we're a club that cuts corners and tries to save money whenever possible. We sold our only senior LW without bringing one in because of the money we got for it. Again nothing to do with Iwobi being good enough or not, the fact of the matter is we had no other senior LW option but were happy enough to do without one because it brought our net spend down. We signed a player on loan to save money, we've done that several times. We signed Luiz for a small fee instead of going out and spending serious money on a top CB. I've no faith in the money being saved being put to good used, I don't believe it should be necessary anyways.

Then there's the moral stuff, saying Özil's being immoral, when even today there's news of him giving money to research in Turkey for COVID-19. That along with all the money he gives to charities. Like how can you talk about it being immoral of Özil as if his decision to be against the pay cut is out of greed when in reality it's out of skepticism. Most of this is probably being advised by his agent too.

The stuff of footballers giving money to the NHS, I applaud. I mean this is something completely different, I don't think they should have to but that's more political and believe me I'm not getting into that. But at least with that you can see the money being put to good use. But talking about how moral it is to help a company owned by a Billionaire to save a bit of money?

GunnerShy

Do you believe there's been no improvement?

I think it's far too early to be judging the current administration.
Yes they need to get Saka signed up.
Re-sign or sell Auba and Lacazette.

We've a lot of contracts that need sorting
Mhiki, El Neny, Sokratis, Mustafi - these guys all probably need to go but they were signed on terms from the gazidis era. These guys deserve the window to sort them out.

Re: Özil - he's on a fat contract and of course he's going to run it down. He's still a class player but he's 31 and knows to maximise his career he should leave a free agent. We ain't shifting him, this is not Raul or Venks fault. And after losing our other talisman Sanchez I don't blame them for signing him up, fans were demanding it.

In conclusion: we had a good summer window, we've got some really good young talent that we must keep. Next challenge is clearing out some **** and the contract rebels and hopefully adding some class where it's needed.

It won't happen overnight but the future is brighter than it has been over the last few years.

Mate seriously we used to have Sanogo, Chamakh and Gervinho running around up front.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Wenger let Özil walk all over him and take breaks whenever he liked, what can he sort out that Arteta couldn't?
What’s with this constant negative slant from you? Managers have always catered to footballers, it’s called man management.

Last edited:

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

What’s with this constant negative slant from? Managers have always catered to footballers, it’s called man management.

It's part of man-management. Even Mourinho of all people talked about how to get the best out of Özil. Like why would you want to antagonise him? Özil was performing well for most of Wengers time. It was only post-contract arguably and in the Emery era where Özil hasn't been the same player (I mean it's hard when you're not getting picked but whatever). Why would Wenger change his whole attitude to piss off one of his star players? It wasn't even Wenger's idea to give him the new contract, it's been reported that he was against the move considering what he'd be earning in comparison to the rest of the squad. Wenger catered to Özil, like he did with Alexis because he wanted to keep them happy. It's the same what most clubs do. Fergie bent over backwards for Cantona, he catered to Ronaldo. There's several other players as well. Some players and personalities require a manager to treat them in a certain way. I mean there's other players where they actually perform better when the manager winds them up a bit and they're pissed off. Like I said it's part of being a man-manager.

GDeep™

League is very weak
So Chelsea have rejected a pay cut from their players, meanwhile Aston Villa agree a 4 month deferral.

Arsenal getting their begging bowl out to their players for a pay cut over ONE YEAR looks pretty off atm, especially when you consider Arsenal champions itself as one of the best run clubs in England.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom