• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

What is the biggest mistake the club made that has put us in our current situation?

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

The two managers we hired after Wenger are not title chasing managers. Our spend over the last 10 years is not the spend of a team chasing the title either.

The pattern is clear, Wenger on minimum spend was getting top 4 and CL money, once that stopped, he was removed.
Or we hired the guy who won the league in France and had a successful European spell. Sounds like the French version of Klopp. The guy we wanted turned us down and still doesnt have a job. Chelsea appointed Lampard ffs and United who spend money in their sleep appointed OGS. Title chasing managers hahaha. Who else can we appoint. Where is the cream at the top who are they? who have we missed out on who others have swooped in and appointed? they must be at Madrid or Barca or Bayern by now!

Our spend over the last 10 years has been ridiculous. We spent 72m on one player last season. Liverpool went slightly higher than that and won the champions league ffs.

Absolute drivel to state what you've stated.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
The two managers we hired after Wenger are not title chasing managers. Our spend over the last 10 years is not the spend of a team chasing the title either.

The pattern is clear, Wenger on minimum spend was getting top 4 and CL money, once that stopped, he was removed.
All true, except Wenger didn't drop out of the top 4 after 20 years by himself. He was pushed out.

Can you think of any other manager staying in the top 4 with two intensve years of boycotts, protests, savage memes, social media rants and planes circuling overhead telling you to **** off during matches? I can't. Jesus and his miracles wouldn't have managed that.

bingobob

Trusted ⭐

All true, except Wenger didn't drop out of the top 4 after 20 years by himself. He was pushed out.

Can you think of any other manager staying in the top 4 with two intensve years of boycotts, protests, savage memes, social media rants and planes circuling overhead telling you to **** off during matches? I can't. Jesus and his miracles wouldn't have managed that.
Wenger created that culture at Arsenal.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

The team wasn't showing progress that's why the fans were angry.

It's not like he was working with peanuts.

We blew 100m in 2016 on three bums. These were all Wenger signings

Aussie_gunner123

Established Member

Biggest mistake, for me it's probably too hard to find one in particular, we've probably made a few too many over the years. We are not good on the transfer market at all, you see clubs like Liverpool & Man City only signing big name players & they are the top clubs these days. We either don't get the funding from Kroenke to go big or we just don't bother about it.

Having Kroenke as the sole owner is ridiculous, for me it's clear to see he saves all his money to help his clubs over in the USA, just uses all the leftover cash for us. We need a new owner & a proper board with ambition ASAP, that may help us a fair bit. If Arteta gets the right funding over the years I am more then willing to put real faith into him, he's already aiming for his first proper top class signing only months into his reign.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

He came 2nd in EPL right before they got angry. Now we're mid table they must be ****ing apoplectic!

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

They were statDNA signings. Strong rumours Wenger did not want Mustafi. They were also panic buys in the middle of a furious and growing fandom storm. Can't wait for his new book.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

Wenger created that culture at Arsenal.
He suffered that culture. He created 20 years of beautiful attacking football and won over millions of supporters worldwide and gained millions of £s money for the club at a time it was very financially stretched.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
He came 2nd in EPL right before they got angry. Now we're mid table they must be ****ing apoplectic!

He came 2nd to Leicester...wonder what their squad cost was ;)

Flying Okapis

Most Well-Known Member
Jamie Vardy.

Wouldn't class it as our biggest mistake or a main factor in our demise but however the we ****ed up on signing Vardy for 20mil is ridiculous which leads me onto constant **** ups in the transfer market and retaining players.

Offending clubs with bids/slow deals.
Not selling Sanchez.
Retaining Özil.
Not selling Ramsey for a fee.
Sagna gifted to City.
Van Persie.
Henry & Vieira fee's = pathetic.
That era when everyone was earning a similar wage and the likes of Denilson were on 50k to make it 'fair' among the squad.
Ashley Cole/Gallas.
That 'list' of players we have missed out on, usually due to this club being too skanky and not wrapping up deals.

Can go on and on about this, for every good step forward there is 2 back which has us in our current situation.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Jamie Vardy.

Wouldn't class it as our biggest mistake or a main factor in our demise but however the we ****ed up on signing Vardy for 20mil is ridiculous which leads me onto constant **** ups in the transfer market and retaining players.

Not selling Sanchez.
Retaining Özil.
Sagna gifted to City.
Van Persie.
That era when everyone was earning a similar wage and the likes of Denilson were on 50k to make it 'fair' among the squad.

Can go on and on about this, for every good step forward there is 2 back which has us in our current situation.

Vardy simply changed his mind, got cold feet or however you want to call it. Not sure if you can say it was our mistake. I agree it would've been a great signing at the time having Alexis, Vardy and Özil in our attack as well as players like Cazorla and Ramsey from midfield and we might have pushed on.

I think your next point is one I agree with though, for so long we've just been so so bad in the transfer market.

Flying Okapis

Most Well-Known Member
Vardy simply changed his mind, got cold feet or however you want to call it. Not sure if you can say it was our mistake. I agree it would've been a great signing at the time having Alexis, Vardy and Özil in our attack as well as players like Cazorla and Ramsey from midfield and we might have pushed on.

I think your next point is one I agree with though, for so long we've just been so so bad in the transfer market.

Im not so sure, I added onto the list how long it usually takes the club to wrap up deals, obviously would have to be privvy to the inner workings of the deal but we seem to have dragged on the Vardy deal.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Jamie Vardy.

Not selling Sanchez.
Retaining Özil.
Sagna gifted to City.
Van Persie.
Ashley Cole/Gallas.
That 'list' of players we have missed out on, usually due to this club being too skanky and not wrapping up deals.

Darren Bent cost more than Henry in 2007, I remember that really messing with my brain that summer :lol:

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

He came 2nd to Leicester...wonder what their squad cost was ;)
Think the 'long odds coming up very occasionally' argument has been done to death bro.

And Liverpool, United, Chelsea and City also came below Leicester. They all had problems, but a long list of injuries to our key players, particularly Cazorla didn't count as problems for some reason.

Last edited:

bingobob

Trusted ⭐

He suffered that culture. He created 20 years of beautiful attacking football and won over millions of supporters worldwide and gained millions of £s money for the club at a time it was very financially stretched.
He did. And he did.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Im not so sure, I added onto the list how long it usually takes the club to wrap up deals, obviously would have to be privvy to the inner workings of the deal but we seem to have dragged on the Vardy deal.

I think **** Law came out and said a deal was almost done and Vardy basically asked for more time and eventually he changed his mind and wanted to stay at Leicester.

bingobob

Trusted ⭐

Biggest mistake, for me it's probably too hard to find one in particular, we've probably made a few too many over the years. We are not good on the transfer market at all, you see clubs like Liverpool & Man City only signing big name players & they are the top clubs these days. We either don't get the funding from Kroenke to go big or we just don't bother about it.

Having Kroenke as the sole owner is ridiculous, for me it's clear to see he saves all his money to help his clubs over in the USA, just uses all the leftover cash for us. We need a new owner & a proper board with ambition ASAP, that may help us a fair bit. If Arteta gets the right funding over the years I am more then willing to put real faith into him, he's already aiming for his first proper top class signing only months into his reign.
I'm pretty certain Aubameyang was a bigger name signing than Salah, Mane and Firminho combined. Özil was a bigger name signing than KDB, Silva and Laporte.

Our problem hasnt been signing names or spending amounts (which has been obscene over the last 7 years) it's been signing the right players. Our return on investment has been shambolic.

Also weve spent plenty of "leftover cash".

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

I'm pretty certain Aubameyang was a bigger name signing than Salah, Mane and Firminho combined. Özil was a bigger name signing than KDB, Silva and Laporte.

Our problem hasnt been signing names or spending amounts (which has been obscene over the last 7 years) it's been signing the right players. Our return on investment has been shambolic.

Also weve spent plenty of "leftover cash".
Our spending has never been obscene. Squads are built up over a number of years of spending. We've never even been in the top 4 for the cost of our 25 man squad.

Top Bottom