• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: 2019/20 Performances

Why Isn't Özil Playing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

L3T5 PL4Y

Flair Accuser
How can people say 5/6 others were more important in the rise of Germany, when he was one of the standout German players in 2010 and 2012 tournaments.
He was good when that generation broke though but apart from that and qualifiers he didn't do much in major tournaments. In fact, the tournament Germany actually won he was practically useless.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Neuer, Schweinsteiger, Hummels, Boateng, Muller, Gomez, Klose
Muller is a fair shout. But I think Özil was better than Klose and Gomez in their trophy win

Last edited:

Oxeki

Trusted ⭐

How can people say 5/6 others were more important in the rise of Germany, when he was one of the standout German players in 2010 and 2012 tournaments.
I didn't say 5 or 6 other players were more influential in Germany's rise than him. He was very much instrumental to the rise of the great German team of the last decade.

But I'm saying that he wasn't instrumental to their trophy win

musoke

Iirc Wenger was in contact with Özil and told him he'd like him at Arsenal, but Real came in and obviously had the bigger draw. There still was Cesc at 10, but back then you could've still played Özil at left wing, as he often did for Bremen, or Cesc deeper again in central midfield. Only cost 18m, too. Guess there was no money and the wings stacked with Nasri, Walcott, Vela, Arshavin.

RvP
Nasri Özil Walcott
Cesc Song

:drool:
Looks entertaining on paper but would Özil have been able to adapt to the physicality of the EPL even back then?
The same EPL rough and tumble he has struggled to deal with since he joined Arsenal.
That’s the only question I can ask. He always seems like a very sensitive personality.

But anyway, what happened to that Özil from Bremen? To be honest I have never actually followed the Özil journey like most of you. I would watch a madrid game here and there when Mourinho was there. So watched bits and pieces of Özil back then.

The only Özil I know proper is the Arsenal Özil 2013-2020...)

But watching clips of him in his Bremen days show a complex different player to the one I have watched in his Arsenal career.

Oxeki

Trusted ⭐

Looks entertaining on paper but would Özil have been able to adapt to the physicality of the EPL even back then?
The same EPL rough and tumble he has struggled to deal with since he joined Arsenal.
That’s the only question I can ask. He always seems like a very sensitive personality.

But anyway, what happened to that Özil from Bremen? To be honest I have never actually followed the Özil journey like most of you. I would watch a madrid game here and there when Mourinho was there. So watched bits and pieces of Özil back then.

The only Özil I know proper is the Arsenal Özil 2013-2020...)

But watching clips of him in his Bremen days show a complex different player to the one I have watched in his Arsenal career.
TBF, Özil was an engine back then. I don't but for some reason he lost that physical edge before he came here.

He used to be quite fast. He used to be able to handle physicality. A 20 year old Özil was a beast

Oxeki

Trusted ⭐

)

Playing for a small team back then, he was expected to carry a lot of responsibility. Going to Madrid, there were many big personalities he could defer to.

From the age of 24, I started to see a drop in his intensity.

He just became more focused on playing killer balls when he could have done so much more with the ball. He became one dimensional. If you could block Özil's passing lanes, he was done. He could no longer take matters into his hands.

Some of the great AMs like Kaka, Cesc and even KDB now used to let fly from distance if there was no team mates to pass.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Anyone think there is a possibility of him extending if he has a decent season next year? Even a year extension.

People will say he’ll go to Turkey but I’m not sure, think he might feel claustrophobic there.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Decline from the age of 24 but he was nominated for Ballon D’or at 25, and got the most assists in Europe touching 26. :lol:

Oxeki

Trusted ⭐

Anyone think there is a possibility of him extending if he has a decent season next year? Even a year extension.

People will say he’ll go to Turkey but I’m not sure, think he might feel claustrophobic there.
The only way the club will extend him if he has a decent season is if there is significant cut in his wage

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
The only way the club will extend him if he has a decent season is if he there is significant cut in his wage

I convinced him to take a decent cut in FM 20, over to you Raul!

musoke

TBF, Özil was an engine back then. I don't but for some reason he lost that physical edge before he came here.

He used to be quite fast. He used to be able to handle physicality. A 20 year old Özil was a beast
If you say so. I can only rate Özil on the little bits and pieces I saw of him during the Mourinho time at Madrid. So I can’t talk too much about his Bremen and Madrid times. The only full on Özil I know is the Arsenal one.

I asked that question about about his fitness and physicality because he has struggled to this day to adjust to theEPL. May be the Bremen 21 year old Özil would have been more suited. Madrid seem to haw had the luxury to just play him for 65-70 minutes and sub him.

musoke

Playing for a small team back then, he was expected to carry a lot of responsibility. Going to Madrid, there were many big personalities he could defer to.

From the age of 24, I started to see a drop in his intensity.

He just became more focused on playing killer balls when he could have done so much more with the ball. He became one dimensional. If you could block Özil's passing lanes, he was done. He could no longer take matters into his hands.

Some of the great AMs like Kaka, Cesc and even KDB now used to let fly from distance if there was no team mates to pass.
And he must have been good in his Madrid days because I remember there was this little online / Youtube who is better “Iniesta vs Özil” going on. May be that is how I was drawn in to watch some of the Barcelona vs Madrid matches to see who this Özil youngster was. Being compared to a footballing legend like Iniesta he must have had something in him.

It used to be Messi vs Ronaldo and Özil vs Iniesta. Which is the most talented duo etc. :)

Oxeki

Trusted ⭐

And he must have been good in his Madrid days because I remember there was this little online / Youtube who is better “Iniesta vs Özil” going on. May be that is how I was drawn in to watch some of the Barcelona vs Madrid matches to see who this Özil youngster was. Being compared to a footballing legend like Iniesta he must have had something in him.

It used to be Messi vs Ronaldo and Özil vs Iniesta. Which is the most talented duo etc. :)
Obviously Iniesta was better. It was just a partisan/bias debate by Madrid and Barca fans.

I do think Özil didn't really need a coach like Wenger. He had his best individual season under Wenger. But Özil needed a coach that could challenge him

musoke

I just feel like the Arsenal Board has had enough of the Özil circus. I feel like they just can’t wait for his contract to end.
Him refusing to accept 12% freeze on his wages like his fellow teammates during the Covid-19 lockdown might have been the last straw for the Powerful men upstairs.

But you never know, strange situations are not impossible.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?

I would say it will depend on how ESR develops. If he stays fit and shows some potential then there is no reason for Özil to stay anymore, but that didn't happen so far mostly because of the injuries.
I think this virus situation will leave the club with no money to spend so it will be hard to bring anyone better than Özil and ESR is the only inside man that can replace him

L3T5 PL4Y

Flair Accuser

Not really. When he moved to Real Madrid, Guardiola was asked why he didn't go for Özil and he replied he had doubts Özil could even cope physically in La Liga. Mourinho regularly subbed him off nearly every game.

Real Madrid thought he was disposable for good reason while he ended up at Arsenal rather than at a super club and Real's success post Özil is pretty evident.

Wenger actually got something of him and improved him specially that Leicester title win season but his physicality was always a doubt.

I called it here 2 season earlier that he was finished and nobody worth the bother is going to come in for him seriously during his contract situation. We should've have tried to sell that summer really.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Obviously there will be a massive cut in wages, no matter where he goes.
He won’t accept one here on a 1 year extension. Doesn’t matter what he does next season, they don’t want anyone on 350k—particularly with the return we get and all the other distractions that surround him. He’d need to post Messi numbers for the club to reconsider.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I'm prepared to be committed to the club at least until we go into the new stadium. For me, it’s important that the club goes in there and that I make sure the team are at a very good level. After that, whether it’s me or someone else, the club will be able to compete at the highest level. But for me to run away now would not be fair.

Arsène Wenger after extending his contract on 2004

Latest posts

Top Bottom