• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

PL: Brighton vs Arsenal | Saturday June 20th | KO: 15:00 | BT Sports

Result?

• Brighton Win

Votes: 19 35.8%
  • Draw

Votes: 10 18.9%
  • Arsenal Win

Votes: 24 45.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Guys like Dunk like defending though. Body, head, everything on the line.
I like Dunk. Similar to Adams, Keown, Terry . . a real battler. But he's not over rash like Sokratis, Mustafi and Luiz. A good CB needs to be assertive but cool headed. VVD has a perfect blend of coolness, skill and aggression.

It's a tricky position to play and often overlooked as the place to splash money on. We've wasted millions though on too many unsuitable players because our recruitment team is the bottom of the barrel.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

I like Dunk. Similar to Adams, Keown, Terry . . a real battler. But he's not over rash like Sokratis, Mustafi and Luiz. A good CB needs to be assertive but cool headed. VVD has a perfect blend of coolness, skill and aggression.

It's a tricky position to play and often overlooked as the place to splash money on. We've wasted millions though on too many unsuitable players because our recruitment team is the bottom of the barrel.
it should be where we spend the most amount of money. A defender that defends first should be the most important thing we look for in a defender. If we had that we dont lose that first goal against City.

I'm sure if we looked we would find plenty of defenders that can do that then partner them with Saliba who can be our more progressive centre half.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

it should be where we spend the most amount of money. A defender that defends first should be the most important thing we look for in a defender. If we had that we dont lose that first goal against City.

I'm sure if we looked we would find plenty of defenders that can do that then partner them with Saliba who can be our more progressive centre half.
We're now officially a charity home for wastrel CBs. We probably can't even give half of them away.

What we need is a celebrity to come and make some short adoption vids like they do for Battersea Dogs Home and hope some sucker manager will take on our problems.

moloso

I must be in the minority but I felt that we did enough to win the game. Luck and Atkinson went against us.

If we were any good or a proper team you would be right. Take this game out of context and we were unlucky but in the context of this season and against a relegation team in a must win game - it was a shocker to lose.

They had barely any chances and scored almost as soon as they looked to put us under pressure- you feel we are going to get torn apart by any team that actually goes for us.

Also you're right, Atkinson is the worst ref in the league and has been for years - so many baffling and basic errors, let alone his actual big decisions.

Gursha

All the referees are always against us, nothing new. You've got to give credit to Martinez though, he should have done better on the goals but he made a few good saves, that save straight away from Mooy was great. On the other hand, I know I'll be disliked on here by a few people but you've also got to give credit to their keeper Ryan, made a few top saves & kept them in the game aswell, they just took advantage of it unfortunately. Feels like I dislike & love Ryan now haha.

Its been years that every GK suddenly excels against us... you want to give them credit, but when you think about it and examine those saves... most of them are just bad aim by our strikers, our strikers of recent seem to shoot an easy savable shoots. then cause the build up was good, and the chance was big, you credit the keeper while imo our strikers arent lethal enough... and yes... i talk about auba as well.

My friends are city and Chelsea fans and they always say, dude Auba is insane, and i always tell them - " nah... you only look at the numbers... hes got good numbers but I watch him every week, the chances he miss are far greater than the ones he scores"

imagine laca scores that header yesterday? ( good save by Ryan right? ... well not for me, he headed it pretty centrally, and i think he rushed it and couldve angled his body for some sort of shot instead of an header)
or that 3 yards ball that he totally missed? thats 2-0 up and a different game...

Our midfield is so bad and uncreative, we need to savor every chance we manage to create. and we dont...

our strikers arent clinical enough... yes, even Auba.

bingobob

Trusted ⭐

We're now officially a charity home for wastrel CBs. We probably can't even give half of them away.

What we need is a celebrity to come and make some short adoption vids like they do for Battersea Dogs Home and hope some sucker manager will take on our problems.
make them do tricks and have big sad eyes. please adopt a centre back.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

make them do tricks and have big sad eyes. please adopt a centre back.
Except none of them can d0 tricks worth a ****. Wait . . . they're good at chipping the ball to the feet of an onrushing Sterling. That's quite difficult.

bingobob

Trusted ⭐

Centre backs at Arsenal just sum up so many of our faults.

Sokratis
Mustafi
Luiz
Chambers
Holding
Mari

None of them are good enough individually or collectively and because of that there will be huge expectation and pressure on a young raw and generally inexperienced Saliba to deliver.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Sokratis
Mustafi
Luiz
Chambers
Holding
Mari

None of them are good enough individually or collectively and because of that there will be huge expectation and pressure on a young raw and generally inexperienced Saliba to deliver.

It's just sheer incompetence. I don't care who's the blame, it's clear a number of people but the fact is over the course of 4/5/6 years we've just been hoarding mediocre defenders. Throw in the likes of Kolasinac and Lichsteiner as signings who did nothing to improve us defensively. Poor signings in the holding midfield role that were meant to protect our defence more. The whole thing has been a massive clusterfuck.

How many millions have we wasted in terms of transfer fees, wages, etc? Not that I care too much about that aspect but at the same time we've wasted a ridiculous amount of money but then we'll act like at no point we couldn't have went out and signed a world class CB because we couldn't afford it.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
I think there were periods at The Emirates where we could have moved on from Arsène and improved as a team, but it needed to be done right.

Ideally it would have been when we were a still a Champions League club (probably somewhere between 2013-2016, when we had Champions League and spent money), when we had a squad of somewhat decent quality, when we still had good characters or sellable assets at the club, a manager that suited the squad, etc.

When Arsène left, that was basically the heart and soul of the club leaving...replacing that is hard enough, without all the current issues our team has.

Big Wengz should have been moved on earlier, or allowed to continue on for another few years really...but of course, we pick the worst time to part ways :lol:

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Sokratis
Mustafi
Luiz
Chambers
Holding
Mari

I’m guessing about £80m spent on that lot and £500k a week in wages.

Would you take that lot, or VVD?

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
The problem seem our scouting staff or management if it was under Wenger or at the moment focusing more on signing very good attacking players then go and improve the defense or midfield.

We never did sign player that will definitely improve our team just add numbers with out thinking.

bingobob

Trusted ⭐

I’m guessing about £80m spent on that lot and £500k a week in wages.

Would you take that lot, or VVD?
VVD. we should have signed him from Celtic for 12m. It should have been obvious to anyone who watched him (me) that he had the ability to replace Puyol at Barcelona. He was and is that good. And at £12m worst case it's a fairly small amount to risk considering we spent the same amount on Gabriel.

For me the issue isnt we could have not signed those players and had 80m to spend on one player. The issue is persisting with players for far to long. It's a miracle Gabriel still isnt here. We buy these players and in Mustafis case realise he isn't good enough but here he is to this day making appearances. We then bring in Luiz and Mari and we wonder why the wage bill is so high, the squad is bloated and you've no room to bring in new guys. So loans become important.

Now someone will say we cannot afford the loss on a player. But what you end up with is a loss anyway. When we signed Aubameyang we should have been either changing the system or getting rid of Lacazette asap. Lacazette has stayed we didnt change to 352/442 and his value is declining with every poor appearance or omission. Mustafi is not going to go for 35m. we may have got 20m at one point. We didnt sell he is now worth less again and look where we are footballing wise. A club in decline struggling to qualify for the europa league, knocked out in the last 32 by a team from Greece, a bloated squad, making losses and an unsustainable wage bill.

That's the long answer to your question.

Camus

Trusted ⭐
It dawned on my last night that in the past 2.5 season, going back the last 5 consecutive meetings, across 4 different managers for us (Wenger, Emery, Freddie and Arteta) we've failed to beat Brighton. And we have 3 losses during that spell. And this against a side that are always in a relegation battle, always finishing 17-15th. And it's not like they're a Stoke or Bolton type side.

It's just sheer incompetence. I don't care who's the blame, it's clear a number of people but the fact is over the course of 4/5/6 years we've just been hoarding mediocre defenders. Throw in the likes of Kolasinac and Lichsteiner as signings who did nothing to improve us defensively. Poor signings in the holding midfield role that were meant to protect our defence more. The whole thing has been a massive clusterfuck.

How many millions have we wasted in terms of transfer fees, wages, etc? Not that I care too much about that aspect but at the same time we've wasted a ridiculous amount of money but then we'll act like at no point we couldn't have went out and signed a world class CB because we couldn't afford it.

16 M Mari
24 M Luiz (1 year deal)
12 M Sokratis

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

VVD would’ve been a lot more exposed in this team like he was for large spells at Southampton (Liverpool were widely mocked for spending £80m on him!)

The physical intensity of Liverpool’s front 3 and midfield in Klopp’s system does 80% of their defensive work, which means even a CB like Lovren or Gomez can coast through most games.

The quality of our CBs is poor but it goes deeper than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom