• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Next Season's Centerbacks

Who would you rather keep?

• Total voters

say yes

forum master baiter
Good thread. Although I reckon we'll be stuck with all four, as nobody is going to pay us what they're worth in this climate.

Sokratis seems like a lovely lad. But he's a very average CB. You can argue he's the most dependable of the below, but he's also got the least upside for me.

Mustafi's good run of form has come 3 seasons of calamity too late. Cya.

Chambers is my pick. He's the most versatile of the bunch (can play in DM or if needed at RB) and is extremely comfortable on the ball, both of which Arteta will value. It's hard to know how high his ceiling is but he's shown more for the club than the other three on his list so deserves a chance on merit too. He was our best CB in Wenger's last season, won POTY for Fulham last season in midfield, and was our best CB this season (in my view) before injury struck. That injury leaves a huge question mark though. Not only was it awful timing for him as he looked to cement his place in the first team, but it's hard to know how he'll recover from an ACL.

Holding is the case in point for how badly a cruciate injury can affect you. Looked a good talent when he joined the club but has barely featured in two years now. Want to give him another chance, but he needs to get fit. My second favourite of this lot behind Chambers.

It's harsh on Chambers and Holding who I think deserve a chance here, but we're so desperate for funds I'd probably accept a decent offer for any of them. ACLs are a killer.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
What do we think is going to happen with Mavropanos?

Knowing Arsenal they'll send him back out on loan, but lets be honest... Is he good enough for Arsenal currently? No.
Will he ever be good enough for a club that aspires to challenge for trophies? No.
Recoup a fee for him now and put it towards a first 11 player.

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
I know this isn't a transfer forum but on a real note why haven't we looked at Kouassi or Malang Sarr? I reckon if West Ham get relegated we could sign Issa Diop. Physical, tall, French and most importantly they have more brain cells than Luiz and Mustafi. Surely bringing in a fellow compatriot to help Saliba adjust could be the best thing for him.

Anyways, there's no excuse not to find a quality centre back. They're everywhere we just pick the wrong ones based on their attributes.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
Chambers
Holding
Sokratis
Luiz
Mustafi
Mavrapanos

Not a single one of them is good enough to start at centre back.

Both harm but no club has 6 CB all of which arent fit to start.

That is dire. Absolute poverty. West ham have better choices. Palace have better choices. Why as a club are we refusing to buy CBs of a decent standard.

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
You know what bothers me the most? I don't think anyone here expected us to have 4 world class centre backs. No team has that many world class centre backs. Even tbe best clubs have at least one clown or injury prone centre back. Liverpool have Lovren on their books, City havr Otamendi, even when we were actually good we had Cygan ffs. But now we don't even have one competent CB. Not one.

NieThePiet

Loves Overhyping Our Rivals
Mustafi, Chambers, Holding, Sokratis.

I like Chambers the most, but don't think he work as a CB with two in the middle.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
Chambers has to stay. No club is gonna sign him when he's been out for almost a year. Holding can go on loan. That leaves tweedle dee and tweedle dum. If we sign another CB then both can go, if we don't then I guess one has to stay just to make up the numbers.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
I still really like Mavro. If someone wants to buy him then fair enough, collect the money, but put a f*cking buy-back clause in. Cos if he gets it together he could be a serious player.

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

Btw of that horrible list, all bias aside, Mustafi is heads and shoulders above the rest.

I agree with this.

Like every top manager does, you pick players on form. I’ve wanted Mustafi out for years but he’s playing decent at the moment, so I’ll give him that. He’s also not as injury prone as Chambers so he’ll be ready to slot it if there are any injuries.

lomekian

Essays are my thing
Its all about combinations. Any combo of Luiz, Mustafi and Sokratis is one brainfart away from collapse as all are prone to rash decisions under pressure, and either try to do too much or too little.

Mari, Holding and Chambers all have a more considered style and are less mental, but lack Luiz's passing, Mustafi's agility and Sokratis pace and physical abrasiveness.

If the combo is right, then there is a unit that can be better than what we've seen, if not as good as the top sides.

Its like how Kos was a v good defender, but was much better with the BFG than when the german wasn't there, even though BFG wasn't the best defender for our system

The wild card is Saliba. Kid will likely need time, but in France he plays with poise as well as being a physical beast and good on the ball. Ultimately none of the above will define our defence in 2 years + from now. Most of them will be gone, and it will be who fits with Saliba

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
The fact that the club has 9 first team centre backs on the books now is amazing, it must be a record for a Premier league club lmao.

Top Bottom