• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Squad Analysis 2019/20

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

This video may even deserve it's own thread if the mods believe it. Major insight here at the start by giantgooner. Financially breaks down what we have to spend and it isn't much. Virtually makes the wishlist thread redundant and calls to even keep Auba ridiculous.

If we take up the Mari options we have around 35 million to spend without sales.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

This video may even deserve it's own thread if the mods believe it. Major insight here at the start by giantgooner. Financially breaks down what we have to spend and it isn't much. Virtually makes the wishlist thread redundant and calls to even keep Auba ridiculous.

If we take up the Mari options we have around 35 million to spend without sales.

This summer is dependant on sales, but that's always been the case for a club like Arsenal. The main reason Liverpool are as good as they are now is the obvious sale of Coutinho, but also getting good money for the likes of Ibe/Benteke/Wilson ect.

The club really should be looking at shifting Lacazette/Torreira/Bellerin, who all, rightly or wrongly, still seem to have some their reputation in tact. Even in this market they should fetch 60m between them, which takes the alleged budget to nearly 100m, which will go a long way in this market IMO. This isn't even taking Auba's situation into account or other sales...

This summer really is the litmus test for Raul and Edu.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
So as I understand it next season there could be Luiz, Mari, Chambers, Saliba, Mustafi, Sokratis, Holding and Mavropanos on the books? Sources say we're looking to sign another CB. So that's nine.

The first four will definitely be here, but two will be injured at the start of the season. If we buy another CB then we could have three fit CB's at the start of the season.

Of the last four, can we get rid of all of them? Could definitely sell Mavro, although hopefully with a buy-back clause. Could loan out Holding. Can you find buyers for Mustafi and Sokratis or do you keep one of them?

It's a f*cking mess.

gamechannel

People forget that we also have to meet English/Home grown quota so I'm sure Holding, Bellerin and Chambers will remain in the defensive core.

In the midfield, AMN, Willock and Saka will remain.

Eddie will also be in the squad. I'm guessing Emile Smith and Martinez (is he home grown?) Will be kept in the squad.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
Well what's done is done. What I'd say is that the three players we've signed to new deals aren't particularly young. If we're able to do any further deals at all this summer I'd really hope that they're for younger players.

This club simply doesn't generate enough money to spend on players with little resale value who don't win us things.

That 17 year old winger at Sporting, Joelson Fernandes, for example, he's a Kia client apparently. Or Adil Aouchiche.

I can forgive a couple of sh*t deals for older players as long as we're still bringing in and keeping our best young players.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
I'm fine with the Man Utd and Liverpools being better than us, I'm fine with the oil clubs Chelsea and City being better than us, Sp**s being better is where they cross the line.

But seeing Leicester and Wolves being better than us? It's ridiculous I'm speechless, these clubs shouldn't be able to overtake us in the league and have better midfields than us.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
I'm fine with the Man Utd and Liverpools being better than us, I'm fine with the oil clubs Chelsea and City being better than us, Sp**s being better is where they cross the line.

But seeing Leicester and Wolves being better than us? It's ridiculous I'm speechless, these clubs shouldn't be able to overtake us in the league and have better midfields than us.
If I'm the owner, I would definitely start asking questions about how a club with a 450m budget ends up at the bottom half. I honestly think Kroenke could just enter a local pub end take a first drunk over there to run this club, would get better results for sure

lomekian

Essays are my thing
If it were up to me I'd get rid of everybody except for the following:

Leno, Saliba, Bellerín, Tierney, Guendouzi, Maitland-Niles, Willock, Smith Rowe, Pépé, Nelson, Saka, Martinelli, Nketiah

Not possible in one go, but I suspect bar one or two of the other centre-halves, you'll get your wish over the next 2 years ish

lomekian

Essays are my thing

Wolves and Leicester have bought better, had much more cohesive approach and have had very good coaches in place for a while.

There is synchronicity between coaching approach and transfer dealings and youth development. There has been none at Arsenal for 3-5 years.

Both have also been incredibly lucky with injuries, barely missing any first teamers for any length of time for 2 years.

Our crop of kids is very timely, as it should allow us to pass them next year if Arteta is supported.

lomekian

Essays are my thing
Are Arsenal players uniquely dislikable or are Arsenal fans uniquely disposed to disliking their players? It feels like other fan bases don't dislike so many of their players as much as Arsenal fans do, even fan bases in worse predicaments.

Its because this is the worst Arsenal team in at least a generation. The last time we finished this low was in the mid 90s, and that was a team that still had iconic players who had won league titles and cups, and the ones who weren't good enough didn't have suspect attitudes, they were hard working but crap.

You probably have to go back to the mid 80s (just as we last had a crop of great kids) to find an Arsenal team both so limited and so underachieving.

We've also been disillsioned by losing popular players in recent years

lomekian

Essays are my thing
In a way, although the team will suffer, it may be better for the club if Auba leaves.

At the mo, we are stuck in a cycle of sticking plasters over problems to try to get back into ECL, because of the dosh, but it means there has been no long-term thinking.

Missing out on Europe and the star man going forces the re-set.

The likes of Luiz etc are there as transition players not as core going forward. The rest of this year and next will be about working out which kids might make a future core / home-grown squad players, and trying to get decent fees for older players.

Going to have to take a more US sport rebuildng perspective methinks.

The key thing is ensuring that the team environment is cohesive and has the right mentality for when the amazing crop coming up in the u16s/u18s are starting to get opportunities, because they are such a strong group, 2 or 3 of them have to at least get a look in at the first team.

Also with the kids, Arteta can teach them to play the way he wants if the club buys into a long-term project.

Its hard to predict who is going to step up, as it always is, but the next couple of years have to allow us to makes decisions about the guys aged between 18-22 in our squad.

I don't expect big changes this summer, but I do expect a midfielder and anyone who departs being replaced (except maybe 1 centre back). I think the summer of 21 will be much more revealing and pivotal

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Whilst the transfer market will undoubtedly be damage post COVID, I feel that these last few games could work wonders for the value of some of our players.

Bar Martinez, I'd still sell all of the players listed below, but I feel these last 8 games may actually drive up the value of the following players and I have in brackets how much I think we could get:

Holding (15-20m)
Mustafi (10m)
Xhaka (25-30m)
Guendouzi (35m)
Mkhi (10-15m)
AMN (25-30m)

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
If I'm the owner, I would definitely start asking questions about how a club with a 450m budget ends up at the bottom half. I honestly think Kroenke could just enter a local pub end take a first drunk over there to run this club, would get better results for sure
To be fair the first drunk would be a better owner than Kronke too.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
We have 7 senior CBs and Arteta wants to play 4 ATB.

There's a case for selling 2 or 3 and raising some funds. Sokratis seems the obvious choice along with either Holding or Chambers and possibly another.

Kolasinac could do with moving on. He's a fine back up IMO but his wage is too high for that.

Squad really is bloated.

Top Bottom