• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

David Luiz: 2019/20 Performances

• Thread starter A_G
  • Start date
  • Replies 1,396
  • Views 118,498
Status
Not open for further replies.

lomekian

Essays are my thing
He's our highest paid defender and if he stays he's in the bottom of the list. No club pays their 4th/5th choice centre back £120k/week.

I can live with Marí as a third choice option (contract is too long, though), but I can't understand this extension.

Most people on here understand midfield is the core issue. Just look at the Partey thread.

Doesn't take away the fact that Luiz is a calamity in defense. His personality makes up for a lot, but he always allows attackers too much time and space. Even when it doesn't result in goals or obvious blinders by Luiz it increases the pressure on our team. I've never rated him as a defender, and unfortunately he's proving me right every week, despite his ability on the ball and his positive attitude.

Luiz is fine in the right system and with the right mix of players around him. We don't have either, but equally we don't have enough centre-backs who can pass at the required level for Arteta's plans.

If Chambers was fit, Holding fully recovered and Mari hadn't got crocked, we wouldn't need Luiz. But without him, we're one more knock from a parthership of Holding and Zech Medley for the rest of the season.

I don't have a problem with Luiz for one more year, but he's here for bigger picture reasons than his own ability. Were Saliba a year further on, Luiz would be gone.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
If people are going to keep getting annoyed every time they realise Kroenke is not an oil baron spending a national budget to cover up human rights abuses, nor an oligarch looking for an insurance policy against assassination / property confiscation, I don't know how they will enjoy the future at all.

Kroenke to date hasn't harmed the club, he just hasn't helped either.

Frankly if Gazidis and Wenger hadn't ballsed up the contracts/transfers etc of the last decade we'd have recouped £200m-£250m more in fees, spent less in inflated contracts and avoided panic buying mediocrity like Lucas Perez, and would have had £300m+ more in transfer budget.

I don't like Kroenke's political views, business dealings or manner of takeover at Arsenal, but the blame for our predicament lies at plenty of feet
All the people you mention are employees. Kronke has been on the board with a significant stake since 2008 I believe & KSE in control with majority ownership since 2011.

Ivan could have been sacked just like Raul now. When Ivan left the club we could have easily kept the same structure & brought in a replacement CEO but go for the cheap option to over-promote internally. Not people that had been successful here but fresh into jobs. Managers & players keep changing but we drop & drop.

lomekian

Essays are my thing
All the people you mention are employees. Kronke has been on the board with a significant stake since 2008 I believe & KSE in control with majority ownership since 2011.

Ivan could have been sacked just like Raul now. When Ivan left the club we could have easily kept the same structure & brought in a replacement CEO but go for the cheap option to over-promote internally. Not people that had been successful here but fresh into jobs. Managers & players keep changing but we drop & drop.

Yup. The Kroenke's approach has always been to be loyal to their employees. I think the difference now is Josh is both interested, and unlike Stan actually has been heavily involved in oversight at different sports Franchises.

When it was just Stan, he clearly didn't know enough about the sport to feel able to go beyond Gazidis and Wenger. No surprise that since Josh turned up and had a good look around, we've had a shed load of changes. There have been some bad hires, but at least the club is no longer set up like its 1990.

Also, in all fairness, Wenger had earned a lot of credit in the bank, and had too much power, and Stan thought the world of him, so things were never going to change quickly on that front.

I;m more optimistic long-term, even if I think Raul is dodgy as hell. At least the new structure means he can be sacked without everything falling apart.

Shalmaneser V

Thiago Silva 2-3 years ago? Amen! Thiago Silva now? No ta. His legs are going and his wages are twice as high.

A one legged Thiago Silva would be less inept defensively than Luiz. I hear he’s willing to take a pay cut too. On a free he’s worth bringing in for a season imo.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Most errors in the league. Most red cards. Most penalties given away. Own goal. 10th.

Either people getting paid for saying he has good season or they just dont know better.
I realised I don't care because I actually hate this club now.

I genuinely wish I could support another club if I could and I'm not just saying that.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
I genuinely wish I could support another club if I could and I'm not just saying that.

You could support a non-English team if you wanted, link up with Mbappe at PSG...but deep down, I don't think you would swap Arsenal for another English team, too many memories growing up...well, unless you became an Arsenal fan like only a few years ago...then you would probably be just like **** this club :lol:

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

You could support a non-English team if you wanted, link up with Mbappe at PSG...but deep down, I don't think you would swap Arsenal for another English team, too many memories growing up...well, unless you became an Arsenal fan like only a few years ago...then you would probably be just like **** this club :lol:
I know I can't leave. One of my friends left Arsenal about 5 years ago for Man City, not sure how he did that.

I wish I could but I'm stuck here with a manager who gets more compliments on his hair than his actual management ability.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
I know I can't leave. One of my friends left Arsenal about 5 years ago for Man City, not sure how he did that.

I wish I could but I'm stuck here with a manager who gets more compliments on his hair than his actual management ability.

Never trust that friend who switched, with anything important to you imo.

I realised I don't care because I actually hate this club now.

The first kit I got was Liverpool for x-mas when I was like 4 years old because the father and brothers of my mother were Liverpool supporters. My father was an Arsenal supporter and in the end, he won me and my brother over with his interest.

Might think about switching over to Liverpool for 2-3 years. Just have to find the picture of me and my brother in that kit for my Facebook cover and its done!

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares

You can’t be a grown man and support Man City, that’s only ok for kids. I can’t take an adult that supports Man City seriously.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Fair play to him then, it shows how much he wants to be here for footballing reasons rather than it being cozy for him in a financial sense. I think he'll still be prone to silly errors, but hopefully he can get his focus back and contribute.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Puts his signing in a different context

I'd rather have a young player taking his wages and making the mistakes to learn next year but oh well

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Managers love Xhaka. Arteta and Emery seem to love him more than Wenger even.

All three massively praise his leadership and influence.
Little wonder Emery was sacked and Wenger was also sacked too. They both placed too much trust in Xhaka

GDeep™

League is very weak
Little wonder Emery was sacked and Wenger was also sacked too. They both placed too much trust in Xhaka
But that Xhaka was in a team that should’ve got top 4 last season and reached the EL final? This season fell apart because we had a bad summer in the transfer window, that’s not the fault of Xhaka

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

But that Xhaka was in a team that should’ve got top 4 last season and reached the EL final? This season fell apart because we had a bad summer in the transfer window, that’s not the fault of Xhaka
Xhaka is trash. The reason he's still here is because of our terrible transfer. A well run club would have upgraded on him years ago.

Quick question: Why do we hold on to bums for so long.

It's quite peculiar to Arsenal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom