• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Squad Analysis 2019/20

GeorgiaGunner

#FreeClaude
Whilst the transfer market will undoubtedly be damage post COVID, I feel that these last few games could work wonders for the value of some of our players.

Bar Martinez, I'd still sell all of the players listed below, but I feel these last 8 games may actually drive up the value of the following players and I have in brackets how much I think we could get:

Holding (15-20m)
Mustafi (10m)
Xhaka (25-30m)
Guendouzi (35m)
Mkhi (10-15m)
AMN (25-30m)
Think you're a bit high on a few of the valuations (especially post-COVID, but agreed on all outgoings).

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Azeez is probably in part why the club feel comfortable taking their hardline approach with Guendouzi.
I would argue that the odd timing of this interview is specifically because of that. PR to promote Azeez as the new golden child - he's even quite similar to Guendouzi (plays both #6 and #8, passes well from deep, advantage is that he's way quicker and more agile than Guendouzi). Not too against that idea - although I would hope people have patience; he's not quite first team level yet, despite his considerable physical and technical ability.

Last edited:

lazyfreak

Azeez is probably in part why the club feel comfortable taking their hardline approach with Guendouzi.
What makes you say that? The club taking any hardline approach on a player wouldn't have anything to do with an academy player, especially one that isn't even involved with the first-team in any capacity yet. If the club are taking the said approach then it's because it's what they believe is best from a disciplinary point of view as well as it being in-line with the rebuilding that's going on.

GunnerBP

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
What makes you say that? The club taking any hardline approach on a player wouldn't have anything to do with an academy player, especially one that isn't even involved with the first-team in any capacity yet. If the club are taking the said approach then it's because it's what they believe is best from a disciplinary point of view as well as it being in-line with the rebuilding that's going on.

I think it is pretty fair to say that we are probably more comfortable with letting Douzi go because of the quality we have coming out of the academy.

Azeez obviously isn't the sole reason. But if you consider that we have AMN, Willock, ESR, Matt Smith, and Azeez, it becomes much easier to see how we could be okay without Douzi. And if Douzi money helps us buy Partey then even better.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I wonder if the back 3 is here to stay. We all have the idea that he wants to move to a 4 3 3, but with his 5 up 5 down philosophy, it would take fewer signings to make the squad competitive as a back 3. With 5 subs there is also the flexibility of moving to a more attacking line up.

Take a base of:

---------Auba-----New cf-----Pepe
Saka----Koopmeiners----Partey-----AMN
--------Tierney-----Luiz------Saliba
-----------------------Leno

----Martinelli----Nketiah-----Nelson
Kolasinac-----Roca-------Willock-------Soares
------------Sarr-----Mari---Mustafi
----------------------Martinez

Bellerin, Lacazette, Özil, Holding, Guendouzi, Torreira could all be redundant.

A cf, Partey, Koopmeiners, Roca, Sarr on a free is all that we would need.

Swap Laca for Partey.
Sell Guendouzi and buy two midfielders in his place, Roca and Koopmeiners.
Let Xhaka go to a bigger club than Hertha after his renaissance.
With the Bellerin, Xhaka and Torreira cash plus our budget we would have more than enough to get an Osimhen for that physical nuisance.

Thinking of how poor Kolasinacs distribution is, and how often he actually gets forward, playing Tierney there would improve our build up and also allow him to get forward as Koopmeiners would shift across to fill in and also spray the ball all over the pitch. We would also have Partey to carry the ball allowing Willock to develop.

The squad has options to go more defensive or offensive. It can even go to a back 4 in game. Get into the champions league and there no need to sell anyone. The squad is built. It just requires the final piece.

A world class CB after Luiz leaves on a free.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
I wonder if the back 3 is here to stay. We all have the idea that he wants to move to a 4 3 3, but with his 5 up 5 down philosophy, it would take fewer signings to make the squad competitive as a back 3. With 5 subs there is also the flexibility of moving to a more attacking line up.

Take a base of:

Swap Laca for Partey.
With the Bellerin, Xhaka and Torreira cash plus our budget we would have more than enough to get an Osimhen for that physical nuisance.

Thinking of how poor Kolasinacs distribution is, and how often he actually gets forward, playing Tierney there would improve our build up and also allow him to get forward as Koopmeiners would shift across to fill in and also spray the ball all over the pitch. We would also have Partey to carry the ball allowing Willock to develop.

The squad has options to go more defensive or offensive. It can even go to a back 4 in game. Get into the champions league and there no need to sell anyone. The squad is built. It just requires the final piece.

That top side isnt bad but still lacking abit of genius in midfield. A cazorla/fabregas/david silva esque player who can break lines in the middle of the park rather than always relying on width. Unless the new CF can drop deep as like a 10 and Auba moves in and Saka fills his space.

Miss a player with abit of genius in the middle of the park. Watched city yesterday and David Silva at 33 was miles ahead of everyone. He just sees a picture 5 seconds before everyone else.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐

Take a base of:

Swap Laca for Partey.

Why not try Ceballos next to Partey?

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
That top side isnt bad but still lacking abit of genius in midfield. A cazorla/fabregas/david silva esque player who can break lines in the middle of the park rather than always relying on width. Unless the new CF can drop deep as like a 10 and Auba moves in and Saka fills his space.

Miss a player with abit of genius in the middle of the park. Watched city yesterday and David Silva at 33 was miles ahead of everyone. He just sees a picture 5 seconds before everyone else.

I was talking about this yesterday. Football may be moving away from having midfielders where your build up is through the middle. It's all about having midfielders who can hit your forwards in two ways. Running it there or passing it there.

5 up and 5 down.

Saka, Auba, new Cf, Pepe and AMN would be the 5 up, a line of 3 in Tierney, Koopmeiners and Partey, with two CBS behind.

Your creativity comes from Saka and Pepe, Tierney with Koopmeiners able to spread play.

Teams will drop deep due to the options with have. Luiz, Koopmeiners can hit the forwards from deep. Pace in the front line means If they press, Partey will break lines or we can just go over the top. If they drop deep, Tierney, Saka, AMN and Pepe can cross into the box to a cf who is hopefully good in the air.

It's all well and good having s squad like Citys, yet the team that has destroyed the entire league operates a functional midfield that are there to cover the full backs because they either get the ball forward very quickly from back to front, pepper the box with crosse or transition quickly. There is no guile. They dont even need it as they have so many ways to score.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Take a base of:

Swap Laca for Partey.

I really like the look for this team, it gives us the ability to switch between 343 and 433 in game, which is invaluble. Saka/Tierney down that left hand side should become a staple of the side for the next decade. I personally would like to see Edouard and Aouar come in to that set up, but that's probably wish list territory.

I have a sneaky feeling we will have a good window. Last summers window was promising in the sense that the profile of player we signed was correct. Pepe/KT/Saliba/Martinelli have all the tools to succeed in the modern game. I expect something similar this time out.

Arteta will also make it clear to the club that without proper reinforcement of the first team, we will fall further behind the other top clubs. It seems Man Utd and Chelsea are a level above us at the moment, so I am positive the club will do everything to close that gap.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I was talking about this yesterday. Football may be moving away from having midfielders where your build up is through the middle. It's all about having midfielders who can hit your forwards in two ways. Running it there or passing it there.

5 up and 5 down.

Saka, Auba, new Cf, Pepe and AMN would be the 5 up, a line of 3 in Tierney, Koopmeiners and Partey, with two CBS behind.

Your creativity comes from Saka and Pepe, Tierney with Koopmeiners able to spread play.

Teams will drop deep due to the options with have. Luiz, Koopmeiners can hit the forwards from deep. Pace in the front line means If they press, Partey will break lines or we can just go over the top. If they drop deep, Tierney, Saka, AMN and Pepe can cross into the box to a cf who is hopefully good in the air.

It's all well and good having s squad like Citys, yet the team that has destroyed the entire league operates a functional midfield that are there to cover the full backs because they either get the ball forward very quickly from back to front, pepper the box with crosse or transition quickly. There is no guile. They dont even need it as they have so many ways to score.

I think the area of the pitch where the build up occurs can vary between each side. City like to build through the middle with midfielders, and Liverpool like to build from out wide using their fullbacks. What is apparent is the goal of each team is to get their wide forwards 1v1 with the opposition defence as much as possible, this is the key to the modern game in my opinion.

City do this by building through the middle and switching the play, and Liverpool often to this by a direct ball down the flank for Mane and Salah to run onto.

We haven't really had a definitive way of getting our forwards 1v1 with the opposition for a while now, which is due to firstly no direction in the coaching, and secondly a lack of quality.

I would think that Arteta will take a more Pep approach. There are videos of him explaining how he likes the ball played to the wingers (he really doesn't like a vertical pass from fullback to winger). For this reason I think he will target midfielders that switch the play consistently.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I really like the look for this team, it gives us the ability to switch between 343 and 433 in game, which is invaluble. Saka/Tierney down that left hand side should become a staple of the side for the next decade. I personally would like to see Edouard and Aouar come in to that set up, but that's probably wish list territory.

I have a sneaky feeling we will have a good window. Last summers window was promising in the sense that the profile of player we signed was correct. Pepe/KT/Saliba/Martinelli have all the tools to succeed in the modern game. I expect something similar this time out.

Arteta will also make it clear to the club that without proper reinforcement of the first team, we will fall further behind the other top clubs. It seems Man Utd and Chelsea are a level above us at the moment, so I am positive the club will do everything to close that gap.

Edouard would be my choice at cf also. Able to so everything. Drift wide, but also drop into the central space.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Had a change of heart on Ceballos and AMN. Both have a lot to offer.

We should keep both and sell Guendouzi. Bring in Partey and I'd believe in our cm options. Torreria, Xhaka, Partey, Ceballos, AMN, Willock actially has a lot even if no real star power. But, not every midfield can have a KDB or Pogba.

Impact

Established Member
With Man Utd seeming to have turned the corner and Chelsea spending big, we need to have strong summer window to ensure we do not lose further ground.

Analysing the squad can be quite challenging because while Arteta's philosophy is clear, his preferred starting system is not (owing to the imbalanced squad he has inherited).

Notwithstanding that, I am very keen to see the back of:
  • Mustafi (despite his recent form)
  • Sokratis
  • Kolašinac
  • Elneny
  • Torreira
  • Lacazette
  • Özil
If we can raise good funds from their sales:
  • Holding
  • Chambers
  • Guendouzi
can all go as well.

Backing Arteta means getting the right players in and getting the deadweight out. Both are important.

Goonger

Take a base of:

Swap Laca for Partey.

I was wondering this as well, maybe even for the start of next season, and then we'll analyse it from there.

My thinking was that I don't think he trusts Luiz in a back 4, but at the same time he likes his leadership and ability to play out of defence, so a back 3 helps cover his brain farts.

The other option next season is to play a back 4 without Luiz, but then you are talking perhaps an inexperienced Saliba and Mari as the 2 central defenders. Even signing a Gabriel or an Upamecano means it's still a young partnership lacking in EPL experience.

However, playing a back 3 with Luiz helps cover the lack of experience. Saliba is also used to playing in a 3. I'm sure Mari, or any potential new signing would adapt as well.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I was wondering this as well, maybe even for the start of next season, and then we'll analyse it from there.

My thinking was that I don't think he trusts Luiz in a back 4, but at the same time he likes his leadership and ability to play out of defence, so a back 3 helps cover his brain farts.

The other option next season is to play a back 4 without Luiz, but then you are talking perhaps an inexperienced Saliba and Mari as the 2 central defenders. Even signing a Gabriel or an Upamecano means it's still a young partnership lacking in EPL experience.

However, playing a back 3 with Luiz helps cover the lack of experience. Saliba is also used to playing in a 3. I'm sure Mari, or any potential new signing would adapt as well.

Yeah we don't have the players for a 4. Upamecano or Gabriel would be more suited to it, but would still make mistakes. No young defender doesnt. Ironically Sarr is more suited to a 3 as he is an able left back and CB.

Saliba-----Luiz-----Sarr

That is a very strong back line. Saliba and Sarr both with pace to deal with 1v1 duels. If you want to compete with the best you have to win your individual battles. Imaging facing United. What makes you more comfortable? A back 4? Or Saliba vs Rashford and Sarr vs Greenwood.

Another system I have been thinking of our of possession, is instead of going 343, we go 352 with a defensive midfielder instead of s 10.

----------------Auba------Pepe---

Tierney-----Saka---------Partey-------AMN

-----------------------Koopmeiners

-----------Sarr----------Luiz-----------Saliba

-----------------------------Leno

Saka can join the front 3 when we attack. Gives Pepe more freedom. As much as Emery was a **** show, one of the things that worked was Pepe and Auba as a two. They actually compliment each other better than Laca and Auba. A lot of pace, power and height in that line up. Negates the need to have a big man holding the ball up as you have two who can run the channel also. We could actually try that now.

UnitedBeard

An annoying Manc
Pepe reminds me of Memphis Depay. You know player will cut inside and shoot, in other word it's predictable. Both also loves to dribble and beat his men, not a bad thing but need to do it the right way. Neither Pepe & Memphis have the body balance as good as Hazard & also the strength of Zaha. I don't think PL suits Pepe, if he's still at teenager age to 23, he has time to improve his weaknesses. Time will tell.

I think Arsenal will suit with 3 centre back formation. I have paid attention on Luiz for so many years when he was at Chelsea. One of the PL most overrated centre back I've ever seen! He's so bad playing in 2 centre back formation because he's a prone error & poor positioning. However, 3 at the back suits his style more and compliment his weakness. I think this where you want to use 3 at the back to get the best out of your current centre back option.

There are lot to improve in your squad but at the same time need to be realistic that you won't solve everything in one summer window.

I think a creative player, a centre back & solid midfielder like Partey should be a good step 1 for the rebuilding project.

Grealish will be a good shout for Arsenal if the aim is creative player. Give flexible to your team & any formation since he can play on the left, behind striker and in midfield 3. I predict Aston Villa will go down, if they do, Grealish will be available cheap. Honestly, he won't start in Chelsea, United & City team. If he wants to play regularly for top PL team (I'm talking about the original top 6), his option should be Arsenal or Sp**s.

Monstar-Gunn4r

Established Member
I predict Aston Villa will go down, if they do, Grealish will be available cheap. Honestly, he won't start in Chelsea, United & City team. If he wants to play regularly for top PL team (I'm talking about the original top 6), his option should be Arsenal or Sp**s.

This is the important thing about bringing in Grealish, he doesn't get in any of the top teams midfields except ours really, Villa dont want to sell him right now but they will surely be stuck for money with lack of matchday income, being relegated and he surely wont want to play in the championship next year. We also look to be improving massively in what we have and surely he must think if we fk it up that he can stillg et one more big contract or move. We get him and Partey and we've got the press resilient midfield we want that can also break forward centrally. He still wouldn't come cheap though and the question is how much do we actually have to spend...

The only exception to one of the top teams other than us not wanting Grealish is Liverpool, they have a very hardworking midfield but none of them are great at passing etc. and they've been trying to get one for years, it says a lot that Henderson and Wjinaldum are still their most important midfielders. They also love a fkin bargain and hes homegrown to boot.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom