• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Nicolas Pepe: 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monstar-Gunn4r

Established Member
Just feel like he needs really good thorough coaching. He's got all the tools but needs bad habits coached out of him.

Tactically we don't help him either.

Couldnt you say that a lot of our youth players need more coaching, it would be better pending time on them maybe. At least they might care more about tracking back.

Gunner-Union

Easy to defend against as he always cuts in so the fb shows him that and a cb steps forward and a mid steps back and Pepe is surround by 3 players everytime. The amount of times he was 1v1 vs davies who’s a plodder and just cut back and passed backwards slowing everything down, with pepes blazing speed and skills he should have been skinning davies and bearing down on goal I don’t know why he doesn’t. So disappointing and it’s the epl you try and cut in every time you’ll fail
You need more in your game and he doesnt have it

Bagels

Trusted ⭐

Such a strange player... clearly capable of some brilliant moments, but is far too often a complete passenger. Does my head in when he misses those 5-10 yard passes.

Really want him to come good, I'm just having a hard time seeing him as a consistent performer in the future.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
There's a big difference between holding on to the ball and retaining the ball. I was referring to the former. He wastes time on the ball when he should be moving it quickly in an attacking build up. I got no problem with him spending time on the ball as long as he's doing something with it but he just wastes time on it without moving it forward.

I get it, wingers are supposed to take risks with the ball and take players on. Problem is, he doesn't do that often enough. Most of the time he dwells on it and stagnates.
I agree, wasn't his best game, but he still does everything that we wanted for years and what you would expect from a winger. We can't start complaining about his game as soon as we lose and he didn't score or assist. His game is what it is and will stay that, not much will change there, but I absolutely love it and enjoy it. Players like him are the reason why I watch football, every touch is some expectation that he will do magic, and we didn't see that since Cazorla and Alexis.
This player was a great investment and we need to learn how to make use of it and improve things around him to get the best out of him. I think his main issue is Bellerin who is completely incompetent to help Pepe in any way.
Arteta or Emery didn't really impress handling this situation, but I'm sure after this summer Arteta will find a way how to get the best out of this amazing player

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
It’s a weird feeling watching him. Can easily beat a player but I never feel like it’s threatening. Not like you watch guys such as Mahrez / Sterling.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
It’s the basics with this guy. He needs to trust his team mates more and not feel like he has to beat 2-3 players every time he has the ball. This isn’t Lille. There’s something there but he needs to relax.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Couldnt you say that a lot of our youth players need more coaching, it would be better pending time on them maybe. At least they might care more about tracking back.

I'm not aware of any of our youth players who have a similar skillset to him who aren't getting game time.

Who you referring to?

lomekian

Essays are my thing
He's clearly struggling to know what the team needs from him. Lille played a deeper block with mobility across the pitch and sprung their front men at pace early. So many of his best moments for Lille were breaking with his two mates at pace. He hasn't worked out how to lose his marker in the EPL but we also need to transition the ball up the pitch much quicker. So often he receives it vs a deepish block or double teamed. That's partly on him too, but we've seen what he can do at times.

Don't know why he's not taking corners any more when his delivery from the right was so dangerous.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
It’s a weird feeling watching him. Can easily beat a player but I never feel like it’s threatening. Not like you watch guys such as Mahrez / Sterling.
I feel the exact opposite, every time he gets the ball I feel like he would make something out of nothing.
It's not fair to compare him with City players who are playing in a perfect setup. Mahrez plays next to De Bruyne and David Silva, it's quite a difference compared to Xhaka and Ceballos.
We have to be realistic and see that our attacking game is chaotic and doesn't benefit anyone, including Pepe.
For me, once Pepe gets the ball in the right position, he can make a difference more often than his haters would like to admit. The problem is the frequency of him receiving the ball, and while it is partly on him, I would still say that we don't have the quality to put this guy on the ball more often.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
He's been disappointing especially for the price. I know its a poor setup, new league, language barrier and a new baby but goodness, he could and should do better. He just seems clueless and like he's not trying hard enough. Sell if he's not better next season.

Lakersgooner24

Established Member
He has ability but is very inconsistent, drifting in and out of games way too often. He's in his mid 20's, so he should be near the finished article, beginning to hit his prime within the next year or so.

He's not some young pup we can afford to wait on, especially with the price we paid. Teenagers like Saka and Martinelli have completely outshone him this season. I'll give him next season before I come to any sort of conclusion.

freeglennhelder2

Established Member

Player:Elneny
Not convinced. Let’s see what he does next season. Hopefully we can all agree if we see a carbon copy of his output this season then we’ve bought a dud.

Don’t get me wrong, I can see good things in there. Not calling for him to be sold or anything like that.

Bloodbather

Established Member

It's because we can't get him into threatening areas. He beats players far away from goal. He's shown time and again to be very dangerous when he can move centrally, but it rarely happens because 1) our RB doesn't bring enough support and 2) we don't have enough creativity in midfield to get him the ball.

There are two things Pépé needs to improve: 1) maintaining a more consistent level of intensity through the game. He usually puts in a shift for 10-15 minutes but doesn't bring it to the same level the rest of the match. 2) Looking for his passing options more after beating a player off the dribble.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Yeah, basically don't think he suits our team but I rate him and his potential.

We don't play to his strengths and he has some bad habits that don't help

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
I feel like he's going to end up like our Lukaku signing. You can see he's a good player but if you don't play to his strengths he's infuriating. Every week there seems to be another excuse as to why things aren't working out for him. It's Emery, he needs more time then it's Özil gets in his space, then it's Arteta wants him out wide, then it's Bellerin doesn't give overlapping runs, his wife has just given birth and now it's he's tired. Whatever the reason, one thing that is consistent is that he struggles to do the basics well. He plays like a 17 year old. Very promising and gets you excited but there's a reason why most 17 year olds sit on the bench. Compare his basic game to Greenwood or Saka. It's simple movement to create space and pull off a shot or pass. They always look like they have time in the final third and Pepe always looks rushed when in the opposition box.

I feel like we have too many issues at this club to fix at once. I think in the long term Saka will take the RW position or LCM. If it's the former, it's the end of Pepe for me. Question is, would you sell Pepe this summer for £50 million? If we do not finish in European places we will be strapped for cash. Who knows maybe PSG, Napoli or Barca will be interested.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I can't believe people are willing to give up on this guy based on his price tag. If you had it your way you would have sold Henry after 8 games when he didn't score and sold Pires after his first season. There is so much mitigation for Pepe.

New league.
New country.
3 managers
Covid

Four things no new signing has had to deal with in the history of football simultaneously. That's not even considering that he doesn't have a right back who he works with on a consistent basis. There are games where he barely receives a pass. He was in between the lines so much yesterday and didn't receive the ball.

This team is an absolute joke. Its not geared to make him succeed in any form. It's coming to the end of his season and I genuinely don't remember him being played through on goal for a 1v1 situation once and makes a lot of runs. So many runs that are completely ignored.

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
This thread is baffling!

AM really hates creative players.
Nothing wrong with saying he was very disappointing yesterday.

It annoys me how easily he is sometimes pushed off the ball when he's slow to control it or to decide what to do with it. Still needs to adjust to the pace of the league.

I really hope a good pre-season and some signings will push him a level. Not good enough so far.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

I get it, wingers are supposed to take risks with the ball and take players on. Problem is, he doesn't do that often enough. Most of the time he dwells on it and stagnates.
Yeah I would have no problem if he would pick up the ball, go head down and try to beat his man. If he loses the ball or his cross/shot gets blocked then fair enough. At the end of the day even the best dribblers in the world only complete about half of their take-ons.

If you're not going to do anything with the ball then its best to just pass it on quickly and try to make an off the ball run to create space. Easily coachable though so it makes me wonder what we do in training.

Also the price argument really needs to be dropped. Market is inflated and 60M or however much he cost doesn't buy you a WC winger, Pulisic cost Chelsea 60M as well and he hadn't even had a season half as good as Pepe's in France and wasn't even a starter for Dortmund. Sterling looked like a waste of money to some until Pep coached him into the player he is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom