• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Shkodran Mustafi: 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
What the hell was his "tackle" on Kane at the end...he basically just sat down, and let Harry slowly walk past him :lol: :mad:

He makes so many errors that get punished, but makes even more errors that don't, it's ridiculous...he is just the worst defender I have seen v money cost.

Kane literally can't run for more than 2 meters at a time from how knackered he is lately with all the injuries, etc. and Mustafi made him look like a prime Walcott both for the corner that lead to the goal and for that tackle you're mentioning.

It's the same thing with Luiz and to some extent Lacazette in some games this season. They do the bare minimum for a club wanting to get back into the UCL and everyone is like "maybe we don't need to invest in CB so much".

Nah, we need another somewhat experienced defender in. Saliba looks quality but it's still an unkown quantity.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Kane literally can't run for more than 2 meters at a time from how knackered he is lately with all the injuries, etc. and Mustafi made him look like a prime Walcott both for the corner that lead to the goal and for that tackle you're mentioning.

It's the same thing with Luiz and to some extent Lacazette in some games this season. They do the bare minimum for a club wanting to get back into the UCL and everyone is like "maybe we don't need to invest in CB so much".

Nah, we need another somewhat experienced defender in. Saliba looks quality but it's still an unkown quantity.

You feel Saliba will either be Van Dijk next season, or completely mentally broken he won't want to play football after the season ends...there will be no in-between :lol:

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

We’re spending our own money. We didn’t spend for years to finally splash on guys like Mustafi.

Mustafi 35m
Lacazette 50m
Pepe 72m
Xhaka 35m
Torreira 26m

218m on average players. I’m 110% sure they wouldn’t be able to get into any of other top 6 teams.

It’s a myth that we don’t spend money, we’ve just bought the wrong type of players.

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Gabriel
Mustafi 35m
Lacazette 50m
Pepe 72m
Xhaka 35m
Torreira 26m

218m on average players. I’m 110% sure they wouldn’t be able to get into any of other top 6 teams.

It’s a myth that we don’t spend money, we’ve just bought the wrong type of players.
Also for to many years we've been playing massive wages to average squad players in comparison to a club like Sp**s.

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

Remember when we went for Xhaka over Kante.

Horrible stuff.

Edit: Also we couldn’t get Manolas (I don’t rate him but he’s better than Mustafi) so we opted for Mustafi. Same with Zaha and Pepe.

:lol:

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Remember when we went for Xhaka over Kante.

Horrible stuff.

Edit: Also we couldn’t get Manolas (I don’t rate him but he’s better than Mustafi) so we opted for Mustafi. Same with Zaha and Pepe.

:lol:
Pepe got better season than Zaha who been in PL for years.

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

Pepe got better season than Zaha who been in PL for years.

You’re just looking at stats though. His overall contribution during a game in terms on dribbling and take ons is a lot higher than Pepe.

Mustafi had good stats according to StatsDNA and we all know how that turned out.

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
If he does up end getting a contract extension then I hope it’s one where he takes a serious wage cut and an IQ test. The wage cut is obviously for punishment for all the dumb stuff he’s done and so we can actually sell him and the IQ test is for my own amusement because I genuinely believe his IQ is in the low 50’s.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Read it in another thread and it’s a good point, people cry about what we spent on Mustafi, but he’s the only CB we spent big money on, let’s say in the last 30 years.

Who else? Kos was 10M. Per was similar. Sol was free, Toure was 400K or something. Gabriel was 11M. Vermaelen 8-12M etc.

I calculated, under Wenger we spent 95Mish on CB’s including Mustafi, in nearly 25 years. We sold some of them for 40M. So a net spend of 50M on Centre backs in the 22 year reign of Wenger.

So people keep saying “we wasted on Mustafi” etc, yes we did, but generally, we haven’t wasted. If anything, the real problem is a lack of funding in that position, not the waste of funds.

tactica442

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Mustafi 35m
Lacazette 50m
Pepe 72m
Xhaka 35m
Torreira 26m

That's about half of the building cost of Emirates stadium. That expenditure leads to the lower match-day attendance. Their wages make it more difficult to ship these players elsewhere.

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
Read it in another thread and it’s a good point, people cry about what we spent on Mustafi, but he’s the only CB we spent big money on, let’s say in the last 30 years.

Who else? Kos was 10M. Per was similar. Sol was free, Toure was 400K or something. Gabriel was 11M. Vermaelen 8-12M etc.

I calculated, under Wenger we spent 95Mish on CB’s including Mustafi, in nearly 25 years. We sold some of them for 40M. So a net spend of 50M on Centre backs in the 22 year reign of Wenger.

So people keep saying “we wasted on Mustafi” etc, yes we did, but generally, we haven’t wasted. If anything, the real problem is a lack of funding in that position, not the waste of funds.
It's like this club has an aversion to spending money on defensive players. Our front three of Auba, Laca and Pepe works out to be the most expensive front three in the league and there is barely any goals because everything behind it is an utter mess.

We keep leaking goals at the back, it's alright we'll just buy another attacking midfielder . It would not surprise me in the slightest if our defensive signings were already done with Cedric, Mari and Luiz just so we can tell the fans "see we tried". I honestly believe it's easier to find good attacking players on the cheap but defensive ones are the ones you really need to get your money right. Yes we got it wrong with Mustafi but that was like the first time we had real money to spend and ever since then we bargain bucket danced in trash bins for Luiz.

The reason why I'm so excited about the potential signing of Partey is because he's primarily a defensive signing. It's like so un-Arsenal to address a defensive issue. Just wish it happened more often. Imagine if we could go into an alternate timeline
Malen-Auba-Nelson/Saka as a front 3.
Now, the Lacazette and Pepe money actually addresses our defensive issues.
Tierney-Upaemacano-Skinirar-Bellerin.
That defence was possible

Last edited:

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

So who’s to blame for the Mustafi signing? Since you’re saying we didn’t waste money on him.

You listing all of those players just goes to show how bad the Mustafi deal was imo. You can’t mask it with all of those other CBs you listed.

Like you stated earlier, we’re heavily reliant on a self sustaining model and Kroenke hasn’t really invested in our team. Therefore when we spend big, we can’t afford to make huge mistakes like Mustafi or even Pepe so far. Utd, Chelsea and City can but we can’t.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
I'm getting flashbacks to the Wenger years when we'd go on a run at the end of the season (when we had nothing to play for) and people suggested keeping the deadwood at the time.

I have more faith that Arteta/Raul/Edu than I did in Wenger/Gazidis though.
:lol: Amazes me what I read on here. When were we ever mid table with Wenger? People got bored of being top 4 ffs, so they took him down. Even then he only missed out by 1 point the first year the protests started.

And Raul and Edu saw all the mistakes our defence and midfield were making under Emery and then decided to buy an aging Luiz to shore it up and a blow everything on a forward.

So where are we . . . mid table. But people have more faith in Raul and Edu . . . 3 managers later. SMH:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom