• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Nicolas Pepe: 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

A lot more sense in this thread than I thought.

Admittedly he was lacking yesterday/in periods this season but, yeah some rationality ladies and gents.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
Sorry, even Messi needed Iniesta, Xavi and Busq next to him, something that was clear every time he played for Argentina.
You constantly isolate him from the team to make your arguments. It's not a one-man team, we need a proper RB on the overlap, AMC to combine with him and possibly someone who would pass the ball to him more often from deeper areas. It's an obvious team failure and we can't do much about it, but complaining about Pepe is probably the last thing we should do

Listen I'm not saying hes a bad player. But hes very easy to nullify. It has been shown many times. Show him down the outside he will jockey try to but in and then lay in off to someone back inside.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
Listen I'm not saying hes a bad player. But hes very easy to nullify. It has been shown many times. Show him down the outside he will jockey try to but in and then lay in off to someone back inside.
I understand, but what I'm saying, our whole attack is easy to nullify, but with Pepe you at least have some chance that he will do the magic. What you're saying about Pepe is the same as what you could say about Auba or Laca. Are they that bad? No, but our team structure makes them bad on an individual level because they can't express themselves in this team. It's not easy to constantly track back and defend and then you need to march with the ball to create something. Most of these players like Mahrez, Sterling etc don't do nearly as much defending as Pepe and Auba

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
I understand, but what I'm saying, our whole attack is easy to nullify, but with Pepe you at least have some chance that he will do the magic. What you're saying about Pepe is the same as what you could say about Auba or Laca. Are they that bad? No, but our team structure makes them bad on an individual level because they can't express themselves in this team. It's not easy to constantly track back and defend and then you need to march with the ball to create something. Most of these players like Mahrez, Sterling etc don't do nearly as much defending as Pepe and Auba

That's the joys of playing for this Arsenal team. If you signed decent defensive players we wouldnt worry about Pepe defending so much.

Problem is we have literally built our house starting the the roof. We have a 200m front line. Yet defence is terrible. Midfield is terrible and year on year we ignore the blatantly obvious and go throw big money on another forward player.

Yes we may have needed a winger but a winger is easier to find than a decent CM or CB.

Look at United. In the summer when they were crying out for an attacking midfielder. A creator. What did they buy first that or the defence that was looking shaky?

They got Maguire and Wan Bisaaka in. They made do with a cheap young winger. They couldnt buy another 60m player probably so they had to wait. Bruno comes in and he creates so much. But has has the licence to create because the defence is relatively solid. It's the same back 5 almost every game.

It's not 5 one week 4 the next. It's a back 4 because each defender can take responsibility. Do they make mistakes? Of course they do. But they dont make 3-4 mistakes a match. And they dont make the same mistakes every game. How many penalties have they given away? How many red cards?

Build your house starting at the foundations and work forward. Not the other way.

Last edited:

lomekian

Essays are my thing
Pepe is a hard player to judge because there is clear evidence of end product capacity, but little evidence of consistent value to our play.

Ultimately we need to find ways to either spring him earlier or get players closer to combine with him. There have been games where he has been a constant threat....i mean he destroyed Luke Shaw and was all over Emerson for 55 mins, but he hasn't worked out how to play against a low block, and for most of the game he's only got the RB/RWB to combine with, so he's nearly always 1 against 2 or 3.

We'll get more out of him when we sort the general balance of the team, because at the moment our front men are all feeding off scraps, and its been that way for a year.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
Pepe is a hard player to judge because there is clear evidence of end product capacity, but little evidence of consistent value to our play.

Ultimately we need to find ways to either spring him earlier or get players closer to combine with him. There have been games where he has been a constant threat....i mean he destroyed Luke Shaw and was all over Emerson for 55 mins, but he hasn't worked out how to play against a low block, and for most of the game he's only got the RB/RWB to combine with, so he's nearly always 1 against 2 or 3.

We'll get more out of him when we sort the general balance of the team, because at the moment our front men are all feeding off scraps, and its been that way for a year.

But it's his job to create. Salah Mane and Firmino create their own goals between the 3 of them. Henderson and Fabinho are hardly pulling the strings. Yes Robertson and TAA provide assists but that front 3 of Liverpool interchange and link each other up.

We shouldn't just expect our front 3 to be the last touch before the ball goes into the net. We need them to create and that's the problem. Auba is not creative. Pepe is limited to cutting in. He will not go down the outside and beat a man. Hes exactly like Mahrez.

Laca drops abit sometimes like Firmino but the chemistry is not there.

Every year we buy players to sort out one area but in the end it's never sorted. We keep buying players to fill holes and they dont prove they can do it.

Monstar-Gunn4r

Established Member
You said it would be better spending time on our youth players than on Pepe. So I'm asking which youth wingers should we be giving his minutes to?
Nelson, Martinelli, push Saka on to the right wing. Run down to the local Nandos and see if theres anyone that can pass a football 5 yards.

Monstar-Gunn4r

Established Member
What has his one footedness got to do with anything? The same Pepe who puts in terrible crosses also has racked up assists this season. This is the same Pepe that can step inside and whip goals into the top corner. He doesn't have an overlap as a diversion, he doesn't have a player to pass the ball and move off. He played a game and received the ball 4 times off the right back for the entire match. Yet we expect him to win us the game because he cost 72 million.

He shouldn't take 2 touches inside the box to put in abd cross, one touch and either shot or very good pass, thats what you have to at this level. He had way more time and it was amassive Sp**s fk up but he couldnt capatalize on it. I'm not expecting him to win the game, quite the opposite, I'm expecting him to contribute to the team going forward every time he either wins or gets the ball not cut inside and score a goal every 50 times he gets the ball. If he can deliver 7/10 performances every game it is far better than his 3/10 performances with an assist or goal every now and again. Its a team game and hes not good enough to be a solo player. Just to address one of your points - Bellerin overlapped him a fkin lot he was bombarding down that right wing constantly. Not that he should need a "diversion" to beat one very average full back.

Right now he looks like they took Arshavin at his worst with us and mixed him with Podolski, amazing left foot, goes invisible. sometimes is good most of the time terrible and really messing with the balance of the team.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Taking an extra touch isn’t a crime tbh :lol:

I know that cross where he didn’t do it first time tilted some of you, but that cross or Pepe in general is not why we lost. He certainly didn’t help our cause but, I’ve said this bare times now whatever.

Feel free to cry moar though if it makes you feel better though.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
Pepe loses the ball 9/10 times you pass to him, him and Bellerin are black holes for possession. Losing the ball constantly.

GDeep™

League is very weak
His body language was terrible. Shoulders constantly dropping when he wasn’t found etc. No urgency to get the ball back when he’s lost it.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

11 G/A in the league.

You want double that for the fee. Not like his general play makes up for it either.

Monstar-Gunn4r

Established Member
Taking an extra touch isn’t a crime tbh :lol:

I know that cross where he didn’t do it first time tilted some of you, but that cross or Pepe in general is not why we lost. He certainly didn’t help our cause but, I’ve said this bare times now whatever.

Feel free to cry moar though if it makes you feel better though.

Comes on forum... argues... says the other person is crying... right then.

The extra touches and slow play is consistent in his game, its just one example... contrast that to when you see 18 year olds like Saka and Martinelli being much quicker in the box than this joker has shown with a much better touch and ability to beat a defender.

The fact is if it looks like a donkey, smells like a donkey and moves like a donkey then its probably a donkey. He might come good but not in any meaningful way if he cant make a pass and keeps losing possession, a great left foot doesnt make you a great footballer unfortunately.

Fewtch

Özil at 10 And Emery Out
still looks to me like a raw version of Mahrez.
Mahrez can dribble his man and go on the outside for a cross on his right foot, Pepe will 9/10 times dribble into a crowded area on the inside or he’ll try to dribble players he’s already gone past on the outside just so he can cut in again. Saka putting in a cross on his weak foot as soon as the opportunity arrived against Leicester was refreshing.

He’s more like a poor man’s Salah with less intensity.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

He plays like a 17 year old with potential.
maybe.

I think the biggest concern I had for Pepe was that a lot of his goals at Lille came from the spot. 9 from 23 came from the spot last season.

Goals give confidence and given we already have two penalty takers it was unlikely he would be getting many too himself. And if he was getting them he wouldnt be adding any new goals given our penalty takers are fairly decent, he would just be taking goals away from them.

So its been a pleasant surprise seeing him current return. It's not amazing. But given he is adjusting to a new team, in a new league in a new country that has now had 3 managers his overall return is okay.

I think there is more to come from him and who knows if Aubameyang and Lacazette move on him being our number one penalty taker may give him more confidence on the pitch.

Fewtch

Özil at 10 And Emery Out
343 should suit him more now that he gets to be closer to the goal. I’m expecting him to improve if Arteta continues with this system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom