• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Top Of The Klopps

Shalmaneser V

Mustafi, Luiz, Kolasinac.

Literally replace them with decent defenders and we win yesterday. We have the worst defenders in the league, easily.

Not buying it.

Look I’m not denying that we could easily upgrade on those three calamities. But in the last 10 years we’ve also had Vermaelen, Koscielny, Mertesacker, Senderos, Squillaci etc and we still regularly lost these games in the same manner. With the above mentioned making similar errors. For me the main issue is not personnel but the culture that has uprooted at the club.

Yes we need more talented defenders but until you get the leadership, mentality, organisation, preparation and a proper footballing philosophy right, we’re still going to come up short regardless of which defenders we recruit.

Joestlaachmkr

I know this is a pointless question now. But i still can`t understand why in the hell the board went for Emery as a replacement for Wenger back in 2018. It still frustrates me.

We could have gotten managers like Tuchel, Enrique, Rodgers, Allegri or even Simeone.

GDeep™

League is very weak
I know this is a pointless question now. But i still can`t understand why in the hell the board went for Emery as a replacement for Wenger back in 2018. It still frustrates me.

We could have gotten managers like Tuchel, Enrique, Rodgers, Allegri or even Simeone.
Story is that Emery was facilitated by someone connected to Raul. Spanish connection basically.

Joestlaachmkr

Story is that Emery was facilitated by someone connected to Raul. Spanish connection basically.
Wouldn`t surprise me at all. Luis Enrique was apparently Raul`s no-1 choice, but he demanded too much money.

Anyway, Emery was a disaster from day 1. I`m not convinced about Arteta either.

If we had gotten a true world class manager as a replacement for AW in 2018, then we would more than likely have been top 3 on table right now.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Just saw the Tarkowski foul. ****ing hell! How is that not a red? Eddie gets sent off for a softer foul after VAR check and that goes through with a yellow card? How the **** is that possible? The inconsistency is just ****ing mind boggling!
You have a link to the video?

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Arteta is doing great. All of the games we've lost since the PL restart has been due to defensive blunders.

He didn't tell Kola to give Son an assist or tell Mustafi to **** the bed.

He's working with the tools he was given. I for one is excited about our summer plans

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Arteta is doing great. All of the games we've lost since the PL restart has been due to defensive blunders.

He didn't tell Kola to give Son an assist or tell Mustafi to **** the bed.

He's working with the tools he was given. I for one is excited about our summer plans

I concur im just slightly anxious about our finishing position massively effecting who we can buy.

KrissKringle

Reinventing VAR 😡
We could have, but Emery was cheaper and Arteta can't make the same demands as those guys.
Everyone and their dog knows that they would walk without financial support and Arteta is just starting out, so he'll take whatever crumbs Kroenke throws his way.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Same old, same old. Fans frustrated, can't be arsed to look deeper than one micron into how football works, so sack the manager and get Ancelotti, Tuchel et al.

Our problems are far more deep rooted, finance and transfer business at it's heart. No coach spending 5th is going to win this league unless you want to wait for a Leicester fluke, and no coach playing with error strewn players is going to even make 5th.

It's not rocket science. Ancelotti isn't going far with Everton and Mourinho won't go anywhere with Sp**s.

scytheavatar

Established Member
Same old, same old. Fans frustrated, can't be arsed to look deeper than one micron into how football works, so sack the manager and get Ancelotti, Tuchel et al.

Our problems are far more deep rooted, finance and transfer business at it's heart. No coach spending 5th is going to win this league unless you want to wait for a Leicester fluke, and no coach playing with error strewn players is going to even make 5th.

It's not rocket science. Ancelotti isn't going far with Everton and Mourinho won't go anywhere with Sp**s.

Then why are Leicester/Sheffield/Wolves ahead of us on the table right now? Did they spend more money than us?

Peterq

Then why are Leicester/Sheffield/Wolves ahead of us on the table right now? Did they spend more money than us?
They have long term plan and culture around the club. We have 3 coaches this season with different tactical approach following 20 years of Wenger. Look at man city or PSG do they win CL? Huge money, best coach and still struggling in CL. Arteta is doing good job. Patience and support is needed.

gamechannel

His hands are tied if you accept he doesn’t seem to rate Sok and Holding, Mari is injured etc.

Well regardless of whether he rates them or not, if a player keeps making mistakes, he should be dropped until he can sort it out. Its like having a fast car that keeps breaking down but continuing to use it cuz the other reliable car ain't so fast - guess what? It might just get you from point A to B for a change.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

Not sure what your point is?

We should be 5th in the league by our spend. We need to over perform to get in the top 4. Not sorting out the defence at the end of last season and blowing most of our cash on one forward means we've got the same error strewn players. That's why we're 4 places below that.

The clubs that are over performing are doing things right, but none of those you mentioned are going to win the league. Apart from the Leicester fluke, for years that has always been one of the top 3 spending clubs, and is again this year.

scytheavatar

Established Member
Not sure what your point is?

We should be 5th in the league by our spend. We need to over perform to get in the top 4. Not sorting out the defence at the end of last season and blowing most of our cash on one forward means we've got the same error strewn players. That's why we're 4 places below that.

The clubs that are over performing are doing things right, but none of those you mentioned are going to win the league. Apart from the Leicester fluke, for years that has always been one of the top 3 spending clubs, and is again this year.

My point is that whining about spending is absolutely scrub loser mentality cause clubs who are spending less than us are outperforming us. We should be asking why that is the case. We have zero rights to complain about City spending stupid money when we are not even maximizing the money we have.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

My point is that whining about spending is absolutely scrub loser mentality cause clubs who are spending less than us are outperforming us. We should be asking why that is the case. We have zero rights to complain about City spending stupid money when we are not even maximizing the money we have.
We have limited spending so whining about throwing £70m on one forward when our defence was poverty seems legitimate to me.

We know why other clubs with less money are doing better than us, they have more rounded squads. None of those teams you mention have built up a log jam of useless CBs.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
I sort of think Arteta will be backed well in the transfer window, simply because it would be lunacy if he wasn't.

He was appointed in December when Arsenal were 11th in the table. If the board had any real expectation to qualify for Europe they simply wouldn't appoint a complete novice in the middle of a season when the team is 11th. They would have hoped for sure, but to realistically expect anything would be sheer lunacy, you'd appoint an experienced manager for that.

So even in December the board must have been thinking about next season more than this one. The curveball obviously is the pandemic which they couldn't have foreseen. But still, if you're going with Arteta you simply have to give him the players he wants, otherwise what's the point of appointing him in the first place?

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

You know what's weird as well, there really isn't going to be much of a pre-season. Basically hopping straight into the next season, any deals could be done around late September/October by that time we'd of played a handful of games.

We have barely anytime to clear out this squad and bring people in. Guys who come in will get straight to PL games. It's going to be awful.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
It was a tough result to take, but looking it objectively, I liked the performance. We all know we have pub players at the back, I think everyone can now see that they're not even Premier league level. That's not on Arteta, there is nothing a manager can do if your defender can't pass the ball 5 yards. I thought Xhaka and Ceballos were superb.

With the right additions, we will win a lot more games than we will lose playing like that. Even with the dross we had at the back we should have won the match.

I really hope that the club backs Mikel, I can see us improving quickly if they do.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.

What they’ve done is phenomenal,” he said of Liverpool’s work over the last number of years.

“Obviously the first two years it took them some time to rebuild the squad and to create a new culture, a new philosophy, and a game model which suited the coach.

“Then they started to recruit every single player in relation to what they needed and that’s where I think they were really smart, because they bought a specificity in every position that was required to get strong.

“Obviously financially they had big, big backing, and made some big signings, which completely changed the club in my opinion.”

It was put to him that he needed to do a similar job at Arsenal, and was asked if he could envisage the Gunners being champions in a four year time frame.

“If am sitting here in four years time and tell you ‘we have done it’, I will be so happy,” said the Spaniard.

Goes on to say he understand the context is different, but it's a clear message.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom