• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Malang Sarr

Shalmaneser V

I definately think you have some clear points. But at the same time you have to remember that the mistakes these guys are making are unforced errors.

It's like Federer double faulting. Kolasinac hadnt enough pressure on him to make a simple back pass difficult. The ball that came into Luiz against City is as routine as you can get.

What I would also say is that we have continued to sign the wrong type of player. The type of player who is trying to do something they cant do. And this links into your points abit.

Managers are asking these players to play out from the back but in reality they arent that comfortable at it. They seem to not know when to clear the ball upfield or go short.

One other thing that is the problem is this idea that Arsenal has to play free flowing attractive football where we dominate possession, knock it about etc. Its funny how that has become the "culture" at Arsenal. In 1998 we played decent football but nothing super attractive. We hit the wings with pace. Had Bergkamp, Wright and Anelka along with Overmars able to create. We had solid CM and a solid defence. That was based on defend first.

Then Arsène decided he maybe didnt want that style so he was looking for defenders to be able to be ball playing. However truth be told he didnt have an eye for defenders. It was one area that completely eluded him.

In the same period Fergie was making a point of signing top defenders. Chelsea were never short of good defenders too. Yes they had money but Vidic at 7.5m. Likes of Stam, Desially, Carvalho, etc were all good defenders that didnt break the bank.

I look at teams who try to play similar systems and player for player they are better than what we have as individuals.

Azpilecueta at Chelsea has played left back, right back and centre back over the last 5-6 years under different managers. He can do this because hes a good player. Is he world class? No but hes solid. He reads the game well. He knows when to put his foot through it and when to play about with it.

Theres a reason we were the only team in for Mustafi. Theres a reason why Kolasinac was on a free and came to us. If he had been half as good as people made out Bayern would have been all over him.

Luiz. David Luiz was so good Chelsea decided an 18 year old Tomori who was playing in the Championship the year before was better equipped to help their cause.

Look I’m not trying to make excuses for their unforced errors. I agree with everyone who says they’re not good enough for Arsenal. I would bin every last one of our current centrebacks if i had my way.

I also agree with you that our defensive recruitment in recent times has let us down badly.

The point I’m merely making here is that our defensive issues run far deeper than individual talent.

Everyone’s raving about Saliba. I think he’d be making mistakes too if we had decided to keep him here this season.

Put Van Dijk in our set up and I honestly think he doesn’t look as impressive in our team.

A successful defensive unit is more about the system and organisation than personnel.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
Look I’m not trying to make excuses for their unforced errors. I agree with everyone who says they’re not good enough for Arsenal. I would bin every last one of our current centrebacks if i had my way.

I also agree with you that our defensive recruitment in recent times has let us down badly.

The point I’m merely making here is that our defensive issues run far deeper than individual talent.

Everyone’s raving about Saliba. I think he’d be making mistakes too if we had decided to keep him here this season.

Put Van Dijk in our set up and I honestly think he doesn’t look as impressive in our team.

A successful defensive unit is more about the system and organisation than personnel.

Yeah I think we need a bit of both. Better players and more protection in front of the defence.

We need more speed and physicality but with brains also.

TornadoTed

Established Member

System is incredibly important, look at Wolves. They are solid with Coady and Saiss, two midfielders who were Championship level at best. Their fans looked at Doherty like we look at Mustafi when they were in League One, he was the first player they wanted to replace on promotion to the Championship. They are solid because they are incredibly well drilled, know exactly where everyone should be and what to do in every every situation, have a well balanced midfield to protect them.

I would go as far as to say that every one of our defenders is individually better than Wolves have. I agree with Squillaci, it has been incredibly hard to be a defender at Arsenal the last decade or so.The pressure that a a high line and lack of protection from midfield seems to burrow its way into our defenders brains and sends them doolally.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
Looks like they also have Gerson on their books... I might pull a Charlie for an update.

Tel. +377 97 97 27 70

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
He's probably a 2nd or 3rd choice option for us, no? Arteta isn't gonna bang on about investment and then have a 21 year old on a free transfer as his main defensive target.

Monstar-Gunn4r

Established Member
Sounds like he contacted the agent, in which case the agent is likely to say whatever gets his client the best offer from whoever is interested.

I remember reading Robert Enke's biography and it gave a really good breakdown of how agents and the in-betweens work. Like an agent themselves might not necessarily walk up top a club but someone he knows might or to people connected with club in the case of Barca and such. I think this where a lot of the rumours come from, this of course could just be made up.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

a few articles saying weve made contact. again not the worst thing to do in the world if it leaves money to address other areas.

Makavelii

Anyone else think we need experienced CB’s instead of more youngsters?

CB is the position where experience counts the most. CB’s peak at an older age than other positions.

It’s not just about being quick and a good tackler etc. A good CB also needs to organise the players infront and around of them. Experience is what makes this.
This is what makes Luiz useful despite being error prone individually.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless

CB is the position where experience counts the most. CB’s peak at an older age than other positions.

It’s not just about being quick and a good tackler etc. A good CB also needs to organise the players infront and around of them. Experience is what makes this.

Yes, I want some experience and know how back there. Would love a player mid twenties or older. He's out of our budget, but I'd love Koulibaly. A player to have instant impact.

Upamecano is good, but could be a Lindelof, Stones or D. Sanchez - talented, but too prone to mistakes due to age and experience.

Shalmaneser V

I think if we manage to get European football, we’ll go all out for a Upamecano/Gabriel/Pau Torres.

If we miss out, we’ll try to be more creative and bring in someone like Sarr/Disasi/Fuchs/Thiago Silva.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐

TBF, Sarr is a captain with well over 100 appearances at first team level. I don't think experience is a huge problem with him in particular.

Burt Gold

He might have been a better option had we not already comitted to Pablo Mari. I like Sarr's talent but kinda find it hard to imagine where he fits in if we are indeed going to sign a top CB this summer.

Burt Gold

Ligue 1 is still a decent level to amass that experience - with a huge chunk of that being the leader of his team.
For sure it is decent. He isn't the best defender in that league even though. And as we know the EPL is a big step up.

I certainly wouldn't expect him to come in and dominate. Which is what we need from a new CB.

Top Bottom