• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Nicolas Pepe: 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

KrissKringle

Reinventing VAR 😡
Pepe reminds me of that period from 5-6 years ago, when Newcastle was building a french colony and buying in bulk from Ligue 1. Most of those players were duds and he falls in that category.

There was never a moment throughout the season when I thought to myself "Damn, this is a great player!".
He might score a nice goal every now and then, but his decision making and ability to influence the game leave a lot to be desired.

REWB

thing is
If we are to move forward as a club we need to grow a pair and admit he is a flop and sell asap. He has been so poor and lacks any real intelligence. He is pace and that's all.
Thing is he's not even that quick. He's just decently fast but not blistering like walcott.

Arteta football is tactical and will only get more difficult to grasp as other players learn more and more.

Is Pepe an Arteta player? Im not sure. We will find out after good pre-season.

Beksl

Sell All The Youngsters
I like his style but he's painfully one footed and defenders are exploiting it. When he learns to go right sometimes he'll find it easier.

TakeChillPill

Established Member
I think I have to say it. He's a shockingly poor player! Can't pass, weak, one footed, poor decision making, dribbles aren't productive.

Only thing he's got is that he can have a moment or magic and score a great goal. But you have to remember muzzy izit and Jimmy Bullard could score worldies doesn't mean they're worth £70m.

Have to take a big L on this one. Can't see Arteta turning this guy around.

Bloodbather

Established Member

Is Pepe an Arteta player? Im not sure. We will find out after good pre-season.

He definitely isn't an ideal Arteta player. Arteta is from the Pep school, so he wants his wingers to stay wide to provide width, not cut inside. He fits Emery's football philosophy with overlapping full-backs better.

To utilize Pépé in this team has to be the product of compromise. Either Arteta is going to learn to accommodate him, or Pépé is going to adapt his game. Or a bit of both.

It's definitely a very important piece of the jigsaw because Pépé is the type of talent that can move the needle and he was a big investment. You'll want to make him work.

NieThePiet

Loves Overhyping Our Rivals
I have no idea how fans can judge him after this game.

Our attack looked completely lost in this game, there was no connection between midfield and offensive. Just because Nelson and Laca benefit from errors, it doesn't mean that they had a good game.
Offensively they were similar poor, but have done better defensive work compared to Pepe.

Pepe could be another "body language favourite" like Özil for many here. He improved defensively compared to the start of the season, but it doesn't look like he is fighting for the badge.

Just look at Auba after he was subbed in.

I'm really excited for his second season here. Has already shown sings of his talent, but needs more consistency in his game. Hopefully in a more balanced and offensive team next season.

And stop looking at the price. Some don't understand, that the player has no influence in the paid price.

It really p'sses me off, how fast signings/players are called flops/trash in this new social media culture.

Pop Tart

Established Member
I have no idea how fans can judge him after this game.

It really p'sses me off, how fast signings/players are called flops/trash in this new social media culture.

It is the previous 30 plus games he has played that prove he is ****. No end product. Just pace. Cannot pass. Overthinks. Does not score enough or assist. The only thing he is created in the last 9 months is a baby. What does he offer us? I can understand if there is talent there and he is inconsistent and maybe that would warrant another chance but I am not seeing any talent whatsoever to cut it in this league

lomekian

Essays are my thing
Strange passive performance. Apart from 1 piece of skill where he somehow beat 3 guys in a phone box of space, he looked lost. Wasn't as lazy as some suggesting, but not enough application at the right times.

I did wonder if Nelson came off on the hour because he might start ahead of Pepe at the weekend.

Pepe just looks like he's struggling to know his role and how to apply it and struggling with the number of games at the mo.

Next season is massive for him and his future here.

lazyfreak

And stop looking at the price. Some don't understand, that the player has no influence in the paid price.

So it's OK for everyone to put out some kind of value on players they want sold but then if we buy a player for a particular fee, we can't judge them on what their value was, inflated or not?

Let's sell this player for X million, oh Lacazette has been scoring recently maybe we can get another 5-10 million for him, Maitland-Niles wants out, he's English we should be able to get 20-30M for him, etc. It's about how you're valued within the team. Pepe was valued so high because of his last two seasons at Lille. Was it still inflated? I'd say so, but we took the bait and at that type of valuation, you'd expect the player to show signs of coming good even in their first season. And it's not like he's a teenager. For me, it's not really about end product but more about signs that you're fitting in. So far, absolutely zero signs of it! Obviously their price isn't the be-all and end-all of judging a player, but it's still fair and valid to a certain extent to judge them on.

Earlier in the season Keown said that Lille were laughing all the way to bank with this one, I would have agreed but with the way things have turned out months later, I'd say the people at Lille died of laughter even before reaching the f***ing bank!

Last edited:

lazyfreak

thing is

Thing is he's not even that quick. He's just decently fast but not blistering like walcott.
This. There was a home game back in September, I don't remember which but one of the commentators said "he has rockets in his boots" and all I could think was, no he doesn't. He's fast but not like Auba or Walcott to name two.

Geofranco

Would let Saka date his daughter

Player:Saka
This. There was a home game back in September, I don't remember which but one of the commentators said "he has rockets in his boots" and all I could think was, no he doesn't. He's fast but not like Auba or Walcott to name two.

He looked very explosive in that game against Liverpool earlier in the season. Think it was our 2nd or 3rd game of the season.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
What struck me most was the difference in speed and physicality between the two teams. I’ve not seen a bigger chasm in quality against a domestic side since the 0-3 at home to City in Dec.

Only difference between that game and this was Kevin de Bruyne. Plus they didn’t make any inexplicable errors.

The great thing is Arteta’s under no illusions about how far we have to go.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Watched a compilation of his goals in France and it's like I've been saying all season.

He scored most of them inside the box coming onto his left foot or cutting in Vs 1 defender or running in behind or winning a penalty

He hasn't found himself in the final third or near the box with 1 defender to face up and a stretched opposition or been found when making runs (which he does often) in behind.

He's often scored when he's actually had any of those scenarios come up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom