• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Granit Xhaka: 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Our right side was bypassed, not midfield.

He was absolutely solid in the context of the game though, which is the important here - something guys like @RacingPhoton fail to understand given their severe lack of football knowledge, especially with sentences like "Can't really get back to playing good attacking football with him as the midfielder".

Won his share of duels in there without a doubt. We were pinned back though, and guys like Tierney, Holding, Cedric, Pepe, etc. were passing it to Liverpool more than to our players.

Its all complex but there were periods where players were just hoofing the ball, we'd "play out from the back" it would get as far as David Luiz who'd then hoof it.

No doubt Liverpool are expert pressers but our CMs need to provide an outlet for the ball if we want to play out from the back. If we're hoofing it they need to win second headers/balls (aimed at Torreira)

I'm not have a go at Xhaka alone, Torreira was also pretty anonymous in possession. Cant fault Xhakas defending yesterday

Monstar-Gunn4r

Established Member
Like he was okay yesterday, dealt with the early press decently but kind of disappeared in a passing perspective in the second half. I would've murdered him ffor not properly tracking the run through the middle for the liverpool goal though

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

He's great at defensive blocks but when he gets the ball he actively avoids playing progressive passes under any pressure, meaning we miss a huge opportunity to create attacking overloads and take advantage of our speedy attackers.

We're one of only 3 teams who've drawn more games than we've won this season. Watford and Brighton are the others. Although I don't specifically blame Xhaka (I'm ok with him playing in a 3 man midfield), failure to address stuff like this is a big reason why.

It's not just catastrophic mistakes that are a problem, it's fear of making them.

Manberg

Predator
He's great at defensive blocks but when he gets the ball he actively avoids playing progressive passes under any pressure, meaning we miss a huge opportunity to create attacking overloads and take advantage of our speedy attackers.

We're one of only 3 teams who've drawn more games than we've won this season. Watford and Brighton are the others. Although I don't specifically blame Xhaka (I'm ok with him playing in a 3 man midfield), failure to address stuff like this is a big reason why.

It's not just catastrophic mistakes that are a problem, it's fear of making them.

Xhaka plays passes forwards. If he gets pressed he passes backwards so Luiz lobs it over the press. It’s tactical.

Manberg

Predator
Do you realise Xhaka literally can’t play any other way? Arteta’s current instructions are designed to get the maximum out of each player’s limitations. That’s not his long term aim.

It’s allowed us to reach mid table with a positive GD though, so there’s that

Arteta very much likes Xhaka, just like Emery and Wenger before him. Xhaka was on his way out in January with the clubs agreeing a deal. It was Arteta who convinced Xhaka to stay. Xhaka is part of Arteta's long term plans, even if we do get better players. Does Xhaka have weaknesses? Sure, as does every player. His strengths far outmatch his weaknesses and he is a top midfielder.

Ash10

Chairman of the Bum Brigade
Arteta very much likes Xhaka, just like Emery and Wenger before him. Xhaka was on his way out in January with the clubs agreeing a deal. It was Arteta who convinced Xhaka to stay. Xhaka is part of Arteta's long term plans, even if we do get better players. Does Xhaka have weaknesses? Sure, as does every player. His strengths far outmatch his weaknesses and he is a top midfielder.
He is such a top midfielder that the only club that wanted him was Hertha Berlin right?

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Our midfield is ****e and clueless but yet people suck off Xhaka who is essentially the only 'undroppable' CM in there.

Imagine Xhaka having a game like he did yesterday and some on here are calling him 'topclass'

We deserve mediocrity

Last edited:

Erlis

Only Came To See Granit Xhaka

Better than the midfield of so called European and PL Champions. Absolute elite.

squallman

Still Pining for Wenger
:lol: ...with ramsey was so different.
Three things

1. We have never conceded more goals in the league than we do now.

2. We've never achieved fewer points in the league year after year.

3. Xhaka is at the heart of the midfield, tasked with the job of protecting the back 4. He plays almost every week.

Is any of the above false? Is Xhaka somehow free of blame for our current defensive frailties? He isn't all to blame, it is a team game after all.

But no one can tell me that we've looked better in midfield since he arrived.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

My point is this - what is it we aspire to achieve?

If we want to reduce the 40 point gap with a side like Liverpool, every automatic starter on the pitch needs, at the minimum, the agility to play quick progressive passes out of tight spaces. Xhaka sits at the hub of our distribution channel so he has a big big role in our attacking efficiency. In my opinion, it's too slow and limits our attacking potential.

I've no beef with him at all, but the idea that we can't function without him says more about the state of our midfield than it does about him.

Arteta also convinced Luiz to stay and gave Mustafi redemption. Without being able to spend, his priority has to be character building and squad harmony.

Out of curiosity, what do you see as Xhaka's role in the next stage of Arteta's rebuild?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom