• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Modern Football: The good and the not so good

EinmalImmerEwig

Bent on his knees by asking to get banned !
So, Modern Football - The Good
1) The pitches are better, and the Stadiums are less dangerous.

The Bad

1) Half and half scarves. I can understand the concept as a memento for a tourist, but...
The half and half hats with an English team and a scottish team that I grew up with were hideous enough, but I could understand if someone had an Arsenal/Celtic one because it's another country and league, and Charlie Nicholas, but still, I never had one.
2) 3rd kits that have nothing to do with a clash of colour or the team. I remember the striped red/blue /whatever that one was, a sky blue away kit, etc., etc
3) The team I support wearing a ****ing dark blue strip against Man City away, who were wearing light blue, when red shirt/white sleeves is all the contrast ( and all the colours ) that you need!
4) Diving
5) Diving, then pretending that you're injured.
6) Being tackled fairly and then pretending that you're injured.
7) Not even being tackled and pretending that you're injured without any physical contact whatsoever.
8) Pretending that you're injured
9) Staggered kick-offs with no regard for away fans ( not too relevant now )
10) Goal celebration music
11) Betting adverts, betting sponsorships, anything to do with betting
12) Wearing gloves if you're not a goalie
13) Drinks breaks. These are going to turn into permanent 5 minute drinks breaks, for more advertising on TV...mark my words...from a game of 2 halves to a game of 4 quarters.
14) The price of a ticket
15) The price of a beer and a pie
16) The price of a replica shirt that is not a replica, and is utter tat made by a 6 year old in a sweatshop
17) Ultras. You're lucky you don't have too many in England, apart from the saddos at Palace, but here in Europe it's a plague. Self-obsessed twonks.
18) Flares and fireworks inside a football ground, including the embarrassing flames and garbage at the start of games in England now
19) All-Seater Stadiums
20) Sit down - shut up, or we'll grass you up
21) Identikit Stadiums, Stadium of Light in Lisbon/Emirates Stadium
22) Naming rights for a Stadium
23) People filming the game on their phone
24) Selfies at the football, in fact any phone/camera anywhere in the crowd being used for anything when the game is on
25) "Special" player numbers. The numbers are 1-12, now sadly 1-18, and again, the 5 sub rule will come into Law soon enough, and probably 11 on the bench as well.
26) The Mexican Wave
27) Players having clothing ranges.
28) Players writing ( lol ) a book in the middle of their careers
29) Surrounding the referee
30) Stupid haircuts
31) Pointing to the Heavens when scoring a goal, as if Jesus had helped you
32) Praying to Mecca after scoring a goal, all religious superstitious nonsense in football
33) Special goal celebrations that have been planned
34) Multi-coloured football boots
35) Corporate Hospitality
36) Sporting Directors
37) Directors of Football
38) The Nations League
39) International Friendlies
40) Qatar getting the World Cup
41) FIFA,
42) UEFA
43) Blatter, Infantino, Platini
44) Celebrity Referees
45) Celebrity Wives and Girlfriends
46) Football Agents
47) The "Premier" League
48) Players going on loan
49) Red Bull
50) Sky Sports
51) SKY ****ing SPORTS
52) Friday Night Games
53) Monday Night Games
54) Any games not at 3 O'clock on a Saturday
55) Chelsea
56) Man City
57) PSG
58) The "Champions" League with the vast majority of teams not "champions"
59) Over-elaborate Trophy Presentations
60) Statistics and spreadsheets
61) Transfer Windows
62) Undisclosed transfer fees, and agents commission
63) “We don’t want too many Leicester Citys.”
64) Referees not having to give interviews after the game
65) Commentators commentating. Football is such a simple game. Don't tell me after it happened. I saw how Player X kicked the ball and made a goal. Well done! Also don't tell me what Player Y should have done. It boils down to "he should have kicked the ball etween the posts into the net" Yes, well done.
66) Foreign Owners
67) Having more foreign players than local boys. It should be at least 6 + 5, my wish would be 8 + 3
68) multi-coloured footballs
69)

Just writing the number 69 has cheered me up, so I'll post this now

EinmalImmerEwig

71) A dark blue away shirt
When those ****s Nike did it in 94 I thought it was a bad joke. The turd in 95 was just a joke, but now it's somehow caught on.

Just **** off with that blue ****ing chelsea shirt, you ****s!

Yellow shirt, blue shorts, or a white shirt with red trim. Red very obvious trim.
We are The Arsenal. Red and White! FFS!

Corbulo

We've essentially moved from a blue-collar sport that keeps the working man happy to a globalised Kim Kardashian machine used for entertainment and money-making purposes. With each move we've taken the game away from its origins.

It's easy to fall into the "back in the day" cliché and I want to avoid that trap because these are the times we are currently living. Although I think we should start using proper balls again.

I still believe in the strength of football though and there's a compelling documentary (This Is Football) on Amazon Prime which captures the mesmerizing impact of this sport.

The fans have created a monster. Are we happy with how it's turned out? I don't think so. We are under the foot of the companies who control the broadcasting rights. Football has clearly abandoned its founding principles.

We rightfully complain about the lack of investment but if Kroenke would sign Van Dijk, De Bruyne, Messi and Mbappe and end up winning the title, would that be enjoyable ? I don't know. Look what's happening at Newcastle. That's just obscene. Some may find pleasure in keeping themselves, but it’s all right if you prefer to get a quick release. For now I just want my team to play entertaining football again.

EinmalImmerEwig

We've essentially moved from a blue-collar sport that keeps the working man happy to a globalised Kim Kardashian machine used for entertainment and money-making purposes. With each move we've taken the game away from its origins.

It's easy to fall into the "back in the day" cliché and I want to avoid that trap because these are the times we are currently living. Although I think we should start using proper balls again.

For me it's about playing, the camaraderie, the simple rules, my village/town/city being better than your village/town/city, the only point of the game for me is to stop those 11 arseholes from the other side putting the ball into my net.

You can't stop the growth of football now, especially with FFP all but finished, and the European Super League coming, but it frustrates me that it shows no signs of stopping, and it's getting more ridiculous every season, but it would be so simple.

A wage cap and having to have 8 home-grown players born within your catchment area on the pitch at any time would stop most of the sins of Modern Football.

Will it happen? Will it ****!

It would be beautiful though.

Luckily I still have that here with my local team, and after the compulsory purchase order I stopped watching The Arsenal for a long time. I stopped watching them on TV/streams, didn't watch MOTD, and only went to Arsenal away games in Europe.
With this corona thing and our league having been cancelled I started looking on the internet again, and the games with no spectators have been quite refreshing, so I'm enjoying it at the moment, and I think the Europa League and Champions League mini tournaments will be great viewing, but if/when it starts again with all the bullshit attached I'm out of here again.

**** Modern Football

Last edited:

EinmalImmerEwig

For now I just want my team to play entertaining football again.
Yup.
For me I want to be entertained by the simple beauty of putting the round thing into the rectangular thing.

Or in my case, of stopping the round thing going into the rectangular thing.

That'll do me.

Das Runde muss ins Eckige.
Sepp Herberger

Bloodbather

Established Member

Same thing. Using a less romantic word doesn't change the purpose.

A lot of the things we currently take for granted when it comes to football - the expertise of players, the accessibility, the level of play, better facilities, safer viewing environments are all products of its professionalization and commercialization.

You are still able to play and organize football for non-profit reasons if that's what you wish to do. Amateur football exists, local football clubs exist. The quality of play won't be anywhere near as good, but if it's that your thing, it's out there.

I'm all for having regulations and such in place to not let it get too crazy, but I can't help but feel like a lot of this talk is just romanticism, mostly by fans of teams who haven't fallen on the good side of investments. Let's talk to some Leicester City fans and see if they also feel that foreign investment and money in football ruined their club or not.

Last edited:

EinmalImmerEwig

I'm all for having regulations and such in place to not let it get too crazy, but I can't help but feel like a lot of this talk is just romanticism, mostly by fans of teams who haven't fallen on the good side of investments. Let's talk to some Leicester City fans and see if they also feel that foreign investment and money in football ruined their club or not.
Leicester City.
Making a richter-scale racket with their clap-banners

Ask real leicester fans if they'd rather be in the double-decker or in that plastic identikit toilet with players who they have no affinity with and who are only there for the money

Modern Football Sucks

EinmalImmerEwig

72) Internet forums rather than going to games
73) People being passionate about football who have never even played it
74) Foreign fans who've never even been in the ground, let alone the Country, getting emotional about "their team "
75) Arsenal PLC, owned by an American who doesn't give a toss

Bloodbather

Established Member

72) Internet forums rather than going to games
73) People being passionate about football who have never even played it
74) Foreign fans who've never even been in the ground, let alone the Country, getting emotional about "their team "
75) Arsenal PLC, owned by an American who doesn't give a toss

Suffering from cognitive dissonance, I see.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
You're kind of losing it a bit with a few of these, but I admire your spirit :lol:

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan

I still believe in the strength of football though and there's a compelling documentary (This Is Football) on Amazon Prime which captures the mesmerizing impact of this sport.

The fans have created a monster. Are we happy with how it's turned out? I don't think so. We are under the foot of the companies who control the broadcasting rights. Football has clearly abandoned its founding principles.

We rightfully complain about the lack of investment but if Kroenke would sign Van Dijk, De Bruyne, Messi and Mbappe and end up winning the title, would that be enjoyable ? I don't know. Look what's happening at Newcastle. That's just obscene. Some may find pleasure in keeping themselves, but it’s all right if you prefer to get a quick release. For now I just want my team to play entertaining football again.

Fans are massive hypocrites for the most part. If you dislikes what the modern game has become, don't feed it. It's still based on fans. Stop attending games, stop watching. But instead people complain about cash clubs but once their club suddenly gets into such a situation they find excuse after excuse and still thrive on it. Don't stop supporting your club but stop feeding the system.

EinmalImmerEwig

Fans are massive hypocrites for the most part. If you dislikes what the modern game has become, don't feed it. It's still based on fans. Stop attending games, stop watching. But instead people complain about cash clubs but once their club suddenly gets into such a situation they find excuse after excuse and still thrive on it. Don't stop supporting your club but stop feeding the system.
I haven't been to the Emirates and will never do so, unless FCZ or Winti plays there, and if that happens I'll be wanting an away win
I haven't bought any Arsenal merchandise for at least 20 years

I can't stop watching though. I have tried.
If I'm playing then obviously I don't watch.
If there's another game on here that clashes with The Arsenal then I go to that one. Easy.
But if there's bugger all else on and The Arsenal are playing...

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
I haven't been to the Emirates and will never do so, unless FCZ or Winti plays there, and if that happens I'll be wanting an away win
I haven't bought any Arsenal merchandise for at least 20 years

I can't stop watching though. I have tried.
If I'm playing then obviously I don't watch.
If there's another game on here that clashes with The Arsenal then I go to that one. Easy.
But if there's bugger all else on and The Arsenal are playing...

Just don't get a subscription. I've got DAZN cause their overall offer is pretty good for I think 11,99 Euros a months now and I share that with a mate so it's 6 Euros for me, and you can watch a lot of sport.

But I'll never pay anything for Sky. Illegal stream all the way. No way will I ever pay Sky any money.

EinmalImmerEwig

Just don't get a subscription. I've got DAZN cause their overall offer is pretty good for I think 11,99 Euros a months now and I share that with a mate so it's 6 Euros for me, and you can watch a lot of sport.

But I'll never pay anything for Sky. Illegal stream all the way. No way will I ever pay Sky any money.
I've never given sky even one penny.
And I'll certainly never give Kroenke any money either.
**** modern football

Top Bottom