• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Top Of The Klopps

Monstar-Gunn4r

Established Member
I think what hes getting at is that he was promised funds but lately hes probably being told they have to see where finances are at and where we finish. I'd fully back Arteta on this, your short term finances are irrelevant here if you want to take the club forward.

Another thing to consider if we buy a bunch of dross and wind up battling in mid table next year who is going to go to the matches. It might save us short term to not buy the players but we've been playing short term for so long we could be an example of why it doesn't work.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
I think what hes getting at is that he was promised funds but lately hes probably being told they have to see where finances are at and where we finish. I'd fully back Arteta on this, your short term finances are irrelevant here if you want to take the club forward.

Another thing to consider if we buy a bunch of dross and wind up battling in mid table next year who is going to go to the matches. It might save us short term to not buy the players but we've been playing short term for so long we could be an example of why it doesn't work.

I don't think Arteta will bring in dross, he must have an eye for talent working with Pep and City for so long.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
I would say they are all decent signings and I can see the reasoning behind them.

Luiz for his experience, presence around the dressing room and the fact in the main he is mostly a decent footballer.

Mari as we had no left footed central defenders and he is pretty decent with the ball at his feet and a good age.

Soares as we had no backup for Bellerin who was struggling to find his form again after injury.

I think they all improve the squad, however and it's a big however none of them improve the first XI and that is what we desperately need in the next phase of recruitment.
Pretty much agree with that bro. Our 2nd team is spot on. We just don't have a 1st team.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
I agree and I don't think Arteta would, but he doesn't have the final say.

Don't think that's true. I think its a universal final say between Arteta, Edu, Raul etc. These are all football people, they know what we need. Their opinions on certain players may be different but overall they'll know what we need.

We desperately needed a winger, we got one. We desperately needed a left back, we got one. They tried hard for a CB but it wasn't to be so you can assume they'll be back in for one this window.

I'm trusting the process.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

If @Makingtrax was Frodo, he would flat out refuse to join The Fellowship unless they used the eagles to fly to Mount Doom from the start, the movies would be terrible with him in them...man has no hope as an underdog, or hope of upsetting the odds!

Where is your sense of adventure? ;)
That's the thing though. With Wenger there was always hope, no matter how little he had to spend, no matter how **** the players like Squillaci, Silvestre etc. You were pretty sure he'd make top 4 and you just never knew if he'd pull off something else.

And the football was nearly always exciting. Even if he threw everything at the money teams and got a drubbing. No sitting back ****.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
Maybe its just not that easy to land players that improve the first eleven. Not a fan of this recruitment team but they have it alot harder without Wenger, no guaranteed European football yet & doubts over key players.

Hopefully we can qualify for the Europa & get Auba to renew early. Then land one of the big targets like Partey... thats a statement to other players. We lose Auba could be trouble.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

I don't think Arteta will bring in dross, he must have an eye for talent working with Pep and City for so long.
Arteta's not bringing in anybody, he's the coach. Raul and Edu are in charge and although they might consult Mikel they are the conduit through to Stan + money.

Monstar-Gunn4r

Established Member
Don't think that's true. I think its a universal final say between Arteta, Edu, Raul etc. These are all football people, they know what we need. Their opinions on certain players may be different but overall they'll know what we need.

We desperately needed a winger, we got one. We desperately needed a left back, we got one. They tried hard for a CB but it wasn't to be so you can assume they'll be back in for one this window.

I'm trusting the process.

I'll wait and see but Arteta's comments about not knowing whether they have money to spend and his seemingly emotional outburst has me worried.

I feel like when we signed Mari and resigned Luiz that was the end of the centreback pursuit for this year with covid hitting the financial side of things. We already have 8 (7 with mavro on loan?) centrebacks and will struggle to shift them on anything but loan.

I'm also worried about Raul's preference for agents... probably the only player that has a consensus of him being good from last years purchases is Tierney and we have been scouting him for years.

But I imagine like most people I will wait and see, the next transfer window should answer a lot of questions as Arteta is not happy with the player he has and wants to close the gap to the top.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Yeah first step has to be Auba renewing, then Partey in, after that hopefully we can start making moves and get given a bit of cash. 3 first team signings is what i'd be satisfied with. In general there's a hell of a lot to sort out.

Ceballos leaves in two weeks, will the club sign him?

Auba, Özil, Sokratis, Luiz and Mustafi are all out of contract next summer. Will Auba get renewed and the rest of them sold/left to rot for a year?

Laca, Guendouzi, Kolasinac and Chambers contracts are up the summer after, will we sign any of them on to longer deals or just look to get rid this summer?

And then the small matter of getting players in :bounce:

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Arteta's not bringing in anybody, he's the coach. Raul and Edu are in charge and although they might consult Mikel they are the conduit through to Stan + money.

He's the coach but if you think he doesn't have a say on who he wants to coach then you're very much mistaken.

Goonger

We need to back Arteta, and we probably need a big turnaround in players over the next couple of years to get close to where he wants to be.

If you think that he is a disciple of Pep, who is all about energy and pressing, he's probably inherited one of the worst squads in the top half to allow him to implement that style.

Think what you need to implement a high press system.

Central defenders that defend high up the pitch, condensing space, so should have decent recovery pace, but are good on the ball as well.

Full backs that can run all day.

Central midfielders that are mobile, confident on the ball, can beat a press by a dribble or quick incisive passing.

Attackers who are pacey, like to work hard, like to defend from the front.

When he arrived, we literally had none of those things. Full backs on paper were probably the area of least concern, but both our first choices were struggling for fitness.

You dare not play a high line with any of our current centre backs. We probably have 1 of the slowest midfields on the league. And the attack although not perfect are at least trying to buy into the press in the main. However they can't go full press because of the problems elsewhere in the team.

Actually, when you think about what he has managed to achieve, he's done well. You only have to look at how Southampton are pressing now, to know its not just about talent, if you can get the profile of players right across the pitch it can make massive difference. I just hope he is backed to start to get the players to suit his system much better than he has.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Very naive of him to think he was going to come and spend money though, surely he knew the transfer strategy before he signed?

One legendary manager and an experienced/somewhat accomplished manager didn't get backed properly, what made him think he was going to get over a 100mil to spend for his first job? He was supposed to be the cheap option.
I get wenger didnt soon much between 06 and 2013 but after that he did. Under Emery we spent 200m plus on Leno, Sokratis, Torreira, Pepe, Tierney, Saliba plus smaller fees Guendouzi, Martinelli and Luiz. How many other clubs spent over 200m in 3 windows?

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

I get wenger didnt soon much between 06 and 2013 but after that he did. Under Emery we spent 200m plus on Leno, Sokratis, Torreira, Pepe, Tierney, Saliba plus smaller fees Guendouzi, Martinelli and Luiz. How many other clubs spent over 200m in 3 windows?
Don't get me wrong, I am not for a second saying we didn't spend. I am saying which manager has been backed?

It is well known who Emery's targets are (Zaha, Magquire, Partey, Fabinho), how many players has he identified and we actually bought?

https://www.skysports.com/football/...d-to-sign-fabinho-before-he-went-to-liverpool

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/foo...ery-Harry-Maguire-Thomas-Partey-Wilfried-Zaha

Wenger, there are a lot less facts and more rumours but I am pretty sure he wasn't backed. Lets not forget how surprised he was to find out we had signed Welbeck on a permanent transfer. Raises questions about players we had signed and Wenger refused to play (Perez, Park)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/29161630

Does this sound like backing to you?
I am not sure what Arteta expected. I am pretty sure he was brought in to make whatever b*llshit they signed work and speak clearly to the media. He seems to have only realised this recently.

Last edited:

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Don't get me wrong, I am not for a second saying we didn't spend. I am saying which manager has been backed?

It is well known who Emery's targets are (Zaha, Magquire, Partey, Fabinho), how many players has he identified and we actually bought?

https://www.skysports.com/football/...d-to-sign-fabinho-before-he-went-to-liverpool

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/foo...ery-Harry-Maguire-Thomas-Partey-Wilfried-Zaha

Wenger, there are a lot less facts and more rumours but I am pretty sure he wasn't backed. Lets not forget how surprised he was to find out we had signed Welbeck on a permanent transfer. Raises questions about players we had signed and Wenger refused to play (Perez, Park)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/29161630

Does this sound like backing to you?
I am not sure what Arteta expected. I am pretty sure he was brought in to make whatever b*llshit they signed work and speak clearly to the media. He seems to have only realised this recently.
It is backing. Theyve bought the players all be it not in the way it use to be done. This is the model we brought in post Wenger. We no longer have a manager but a coach who is provided with players.

If we want to say which part of Artetas words stung the most it wasnt about money it was him saying how Liverpool had players provided to suit the coach, to fulfill a role within the team and they waited to get those players. let's not forget they chased Van Dijk for two windows if not longer. They just never went and spent for the sake of it.

For me that's the biggest call out to those above. Give me players that fulfill this criteria in this position dont just spend for the sake off it. And I think back to our pursuit of Zaha and the fact we ended up with Pepe who plays on the other side. We dont know what happened there but we can read between the lines and one possible conclusion is the club bought him when he wasnt what we were after, a left sided winger. And now we are stuck with a 72m forward.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐

I like our defense improvements even tho we still error prone. Expected goals will never improve if we don't create alot of chances

EinmalImmerEwig

Bent on his knees by asking to get banned !
Hindsight is a wonderful thing. You can quite easily now say Luiz was a terrible signing for just £8M. Or that Pepe was a poor signing at £72M. (He wont be in the long run...) but at the time the majority of people were very happy with our business.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing.
Pepe was a poor signing at £72m, and he will never make it at The Arsenal.
When he's in the PL team of the season I'll eat my words.
I can't remember anyone being happy we'd bought Luiz, the ****ing chav ****!

EinmalImmerEwig

Bent on his knees by asking to get banned !
We need to back Arteta, and we probably need a big turnaround in players over the next couple of years to get close to where he wants to be.

If you think that he is a disciple of Pep, who is all about energy and pressing, he's probably inherited one of the worst squads in the top half to allow him to implement that style.

Think what you need to implement a high press system.
I still don't know what Arteta's ideas are, but I don't think he's a disciple of Pep.
For a start he wasn't that kind of player, and there seems to be no signs that he wants that out of our squad ( and if he does then he needs his head examined, for the reasons you so eloquently made ).
Next couple of seasons will show what Arteta's style will be. Fingers crossed it will be his own unique way, and it will knock all our collective socks off!

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

It is backing. Theyve bought the players all be it not in the way it use to be done. This is the model we brought in post Wenger. We no longer have a manager but a coach who is provided with players.

If we want to say which part of Artetas words stung the most it wasnt about money it was him saying how Liverpool had players provided to suit the coach, to fulfill a role within the team and they waited to get those players. let's not forget they chased Van Dijk for two windows if not longer. They just never went and spent for the sake of it.
This is your interpretation of Arteta's words. He uses words like concern and yes "players that suit the coach" - only he would know that not Raul or Edu.

I don't think hes saying "please don't spend for the sake of it" at all, I got a very different message.

Also buying players and being told to make it work is not backing. We don't necessarily know why certain players are identified - could be certain relationships or future resale value in mind, this isn't backing.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Stats are ruining football in a way, people seem to just form opinions based on them alone...stats should only be used to back up what you see on the pitch.

"Why is Henry the best? (2004 version)" ... "His combination of skill and speed, just takes my breath away...and his style he plays with, he is just the coolest player on the planet"

"Why is Henry the best? (2020 version)" ..."Don't know actually, his expected goals say he should have 40 goals instead of just 30, maybe he isn't that great afterall..."

We have looked better in the 6 months or so under Arteta, than the previous 18 months under Emery...our current team will always have it's issues, that's what having so many average players will do...but the little thing we do are better now, obviously Arteta can still improve, but something is definitely there...Christ, Palace and Southampton were having 20+ against us AT HOME ffs, of course we have improved since the first half of the season :lol:

Last edited:

Latest posts+

Top Bottom