• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Emiliano Martínez (Out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gooner416

Master of Stonks
Trusted ⭐

Martinez is our number one for me at the moment, his job to lose. Tough for Leno but I think they're both very similar with Emi edging him on distribution. I would not sell. This is a good problem to have.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Few key factors to consider.

We are forgetting how good Leno is because of how Martinez is performing. I don't think Martinez has shown really good distribution since his first few games. He's actually kicked quite a few out of touch. They both are calm with the ball at their feet but Leno has a little mid range dink into midfield or a full back that Martinez hasn't displayed.

Martinez is much better on crosses. Leno is much better 1v1.

I'm not sure who is better off their line. I dont think I've seen Martinez come off his as fast yet.

One big thing is Leno has made a howler and come back mentally strong. Martinez hasn't done that yet so we dont know how well is form would recover.

KenyanGoon

Even if Emi had world class potential, I wouldn't want to keep some unambitious clown who for almost a decade was happy to waste his career settling for collecting his wage instead of progressing his career. Exact kind of characters that have been bringing this club down.

Come on now. Is this the thanks you get for showing the club a little bit of loyalty? Thats too harsh. He has been very patient and finally has gotten a chance to show what he can do. For me personally I would say Keep playing Emi.

Tosker

Does Not Hate Foreigners
being no 2 GK is an unenviable position at any club - at least under Wenger our no 2 got to play all non PL games

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
Another way of looking at it is nobody is going to buy Leno. He’s an established no.1 at a big club on big wages. The bigger clubs aren’t looking for a keeper so there’s no move for him there and anywhere else is a step down. With Martinez he’s on low wages and the perfect buy for a lower half of the table team or a newly promoted team. Even someone like Sheffield Utd might be interested to replace Henderson. For Martinez moving to any Premier League club to be the no.1 is a positive move in his career.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
Liverpool got 10m for Mingolet who is absolute rubbish. A mean really bad and everyone knew it. It was well broadcasted. So if someone wants Emi its 20m plus.

If we can swap him for a good outfield player from another club even better but I wouldnt be selling him just yet unless the offer is ridiculous.

Why? Because i have seen 0 from Macey and a bad injury to Leno again means we are ****ed.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me

We are forgetting how good Leno is because of how Martinez is performing. I don't think Martinez has shown really good distribution since his first few games. He's actually kicked quite a few out of touch. They both are calm with the ball at their feet but Leno has a little mid range dink into midfield or a full back that Martinez hasn't displayed.

I'm not sure who is better off their line. I dont think I've seen Martinez come off his as fast yet.

One big thing is Leno has made a howler and come back mentally strong. Martinez hasn't done that yet so we dont know how well is form would recover.

To sit and wait for 10 years to get a proper chance shows a certain level of mental strength. Improving your game when you're only going to get Cup games is also a good sign. This is the first time he's been able to play knowing that he'll be playing the next game too, he grabbed the chance and his level of focus has been amazing. These are all signs of good mental strength.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
To sit and wait for 10 years to get a proper chance shows a certain level of mental strength. Improving your game when you're only going to get Cup games is also a good sign. This is the first time he's been able to play knowing that he'll be playing the next game too, he grabbed the chance and his level of focus has been amazing. These are all signs of good mental strength.

Making a mistake that loses a game and then coming back from is something a keeper needs to show. He was playing during those 10 years under no pressure. He was a backup, under no pressure. That not mental strength. That's patience. He has shown a good level of focus, but we need to judge our players in adversity. Not when they are playing well.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
Making a mistake that loses a game and then coming back from is something a keeper needs to show. He was playing during those 10 years under no pressure. He was a backup, under no pressure. That not mental strength. That's patience. He has shown a good level of focus, but we need to judge our players in adversity. Not when they are playing well.

But by playing well means your keeper isnt making mistakes which is the very thing you want. The less mistakes the less " having to comeback from adversity the better".

lomekian

Essays are my thing
Given that both keepers have long contracts and Martinez has only played a handful of games, it makes no sense to sell either at this point. The next 12 months should make our decision for us, with both likely to retain their value, at a time when the selling market should be rather more favourable.

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes

Thing is: being good on crosses and corners is a NECESSITY for me. It's not "nice to have".

Also think that's a bit due to Leno, that we've been absolutely horrible on set pieces because he just doesn't do well in that regard.

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
Given that both keepers have long contracts and Martinez has only played a handful of games, it makes no sense to sell either at this point. The next 12 months should make our decision for us, with both likely to retain their value, at a time when the selling market should be rather more favourable.

Martinez only has one year left next summer.

Malky

Established Member
The lack of respect towards Leno in here is actually shocking. Martinez has been excellent, credit where its due, but it's been in a handful of games, Leno has done it consistently over the space of 2 seasons, other than Auba he's been our best player and saved our arse game after game.

Just remember - Form is temporary, class is permanent. We don't know right now if Martinez is just in a purple patch in his career or if this is actually the norm for him now. Like @The_Playmaker said - his first howler will tell us alot more about him.
Personally selling one of our best players over 2 seasons based on the performances from another player for 6 weeks is ****ing ridiculous to even consider.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
What are the Leno boys so afraid of? Seem a bit too protective over the #1 shirt. :lol:

Give Martinez a new deal & let them fight it out. Martinez is very hot now & really has been for 18 months by all accounts.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
What are the Leno boys so afraid of? Seem a bit too protective over the #1 shirt. :lol:

Give Martinez a new deal & let them fight it out. Martinez is very hot now & really has been for 18 months by all accounts.

Ever heard of the phrase strike the iron while its hot?

Another top performance in the FA cup and Emi's price will soar. If Leeds offered 30m you sell him.

yorch44

Commander of the Pelotudo Brigade
I would sell Leno, I feel more safe with Emi. Today's the save he did against wellbeck was magnificent. He is stronger, more vocal, better in the air. Every long ball to the box and every corner is "God I hope Leno doesn't gift a goal"

yorch44

Commander of the Pelotudo Brigade
BTW selling Martinez now it's like a kick in the balls to our longest serving player who has been so loyal waiting for a chance, and once he responded that in an excellent way we sell him. That's low! What's the problem if Emi is better and take Leno spot? You keep the better, an elite club doesn't sell the best one and keeps the popular (except RM with Courtois but that was shameful).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom