• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Joe Willock: 2019/2020 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
He can’t go out though, otherwise we’ll have no midfielders. Question marks over Torreira and AMN, Guendouzi will leave and Ceballos is a Madrid player.
We're a loan club now ourselves. Replace Willock and Ceballos with 2 more loanees from one of the big clubs like City, Barca, Bayern etc who want to give a player a run out at one of the lesser teams. SMH.

yorch44

Commander of the Pelotudo Brigade
It's not that he can't pass. He doesn't move into space to receive the ball in between the lines well. The moment we have the ball he's charging up the pitch to get close to Laca. When he shows for the ball it's for the easy sideways option.
Every time the ball went wide, he's attacking the posts like a striker competing with the CBs when there was a lot of space just inside the box. It's the same issues we had with Ramsey for a long time when he decided to play like an AM.

It's a pity the Guendouzi project turned out like this, a lot of his minutes could have gone to Willock or AMN in midfield. Both of these 2 give so much athleticism in that area.
But Douzy has the same problem in that case, he is so static and doesn't move to free spaces when we are building from the back. And he often pass sideways. I don't really like him as a DM-CM. Only player who is helping the build from the back is Ceballos going deep to help CBs. And yes, you don't see Douzy or Willock doing this well. Sell Douzy and loan Willock.

Impact

Established Member
A season or two of regular Premier League football and Willock becomes a great box-to-box option for us.

He's still getting used to his frame but he has such a high physical ceiling. Athletic, mobile, strong. Has the physical capacity to make a high number of high intensity runs during a game. An eye for a goal. Spatially aware. Presses incessantly. Can tackle, intercept, uses his body well in duels. Can carry the ball long distances and while also being an underrated dribbler in tighter spaces. His overall technical level is good too. Maybe he lacks a bit of vision and quickness of execution but if you put him at 8 in a 4-3-3 and you have another interior with that pure creative flair, you'll see a different player.

Arsène Wenger's words ring true: you get a player when he is 23.

The likes of Messi, Fabregas, Rooney etc are outliers. The usual pattern is what Wenger outlined. We need to be patient.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Send him and Nelson to Norwich and Brentford on loan when we get Buendia and Benrahma/Watkins in.

First team football almost certainly guaranteed for two very attacking teams. Sorted.

yorch44

Commander of the Pelotudo Brigade
A season or two of regular Premier League football and Willock becomes a great box-to-box option for us.

He's still getting used to his frame but he has such a high physical ceiling. Athletic, mobile, strong. Has the physical capacity to make a high number of high intensity runs during a game. An eye for a goal. Spatially aware. Presses incessantly. Can tackle, intercept, uses his body well in duels. Can carry the ball long distances and while also being an underrated dribbler in tighter spaces. His overall technical level is good too. Maybe he lacks a bit of vision and quickness of execution but if you put him at 8 in a 4-3-3 and you have another interior with that pure creative flair, you'll see a different player.

The likes of Messi, Fabregas, Rooney etc are outliers. The usual pattern is what Wenger outlined. We need to be patient.
Yes I see him as box to box s well... Never as Cam, I am very furious about Emery and now Arteta playing him there. Is like Pogba, he doesn't play well as cam.

I would give him loan time. He needs that.

nick gould

I wish they would realise that he's a #6 or an #8. He's so inconsistent when receiving the ball higher up.

Your assessment about our academy players is usually sport on. I agree with you on the position issue. In the right system with the right players around him, I reckon he can consistently make double figures in terms of goals. He is not a 10 at all. 10s have a knack of finding space between the lines. Iwobi is not a good 10 but he excels at that.

Anyway, this article from the Metro. Looks like there was a general consensus that Joe Willock and Eddie are not that gifted naturally. It's mainly hard work and determination with them. From what I have seen, I totally agree with the former coach about those two.

https://metro.co.uk/2020/07/18/arse...bility-freddie-ljungberg-intervened-13006738/

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

I’m not confident any PL club would offer him regular football on a loan deal. That’s the problem.

If we give him that game time it comes at a cost. I think a championship loan would be more realistic.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

He was looking immense in preseason and I think hes alright I like him. I hate when were behind and I see him warming up on the touchline but he definitely has room to grow and I think he is worth the patience.

Keeping him here is cool, I reckon he will get minutes. Championship loan would probably be better for him though.

Impact

Established Member
We have had three managers this year: Emery, Ljungberg and Arteta. All of them rate Willock.

Goes under the radar because he makes a lot of sub appearances but he has featured in 44 or so games this season. That's the most of any Arsenal player.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
I haven't liked the way Arteta has played him. I guess its because we haven't played a 3 man midfield but I am quite concerned about where he is being played.

He has played at AM and RM for us, he isnt comfortable in those areas, he likes to drive with the ball from deep. I think people have forgotten how he played in the first couple games this season (Newcastle and Burnley), he was used as a CM in more of a 433 in those games.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

I haven't liked the way Arteta has played him. I guess its because we haven't played a 3 man midfield but I am quite concerned about where he is being played.

He has played at AM and RM for us, he isnt comfortable in those areas, he likes to drive with the ball from deep. I think people have forgotten how he played in the first couple games this season (Newcastle and Burnley), he was used as a CM in more of a 433 in those games.

Agreed. Not just drive from deep but can receive the ball under pressure and has an excellent passing range. AMN too. But these days a lot of coaches only seem to use such players for their athleticism in wide areas or ahead of the ball, which is a shame. It’s like we’re trying to turn him into Dele Alli and he’s not that kind of player.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

‘It was such a physical advantage that we questioned whether he was that good. Because of his physical advantage, it was easy to doubt whether he was really a good player technically.

Sounds like Jonker has had a stroke. I get that he didn't trust Saka but jeez man, cut him some slack.

Anyway: Joe apparently had some issues with the youth coaches. Seem like he got over them. I reckon he needs some regular game time.

Amy Lawrence said something on the TIFO podcast. Think Saka developed early physically and so just used it to excel even though he has footballing ability as well

kash2

More Consistent Than Arteta
Did what it said on the tin. Filled the squad place. Helped out where needed. One more year to go before he explodes.

6.5/10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom