• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Reiss Nelson: 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Don't think it's yet time to worry too much, we need to see how next season shapes up in a months time. Nelson could still yet be in the picture - particularly where the EL is concerned. I'm feeling a bit more optimistic than I was yesterday. Still think Nelson's talent is hugely underrated by many (IMO he's definitely starter material at his full potential), he just needs to grasp those opportunities once they come his way. Considering he finished the league season far more confidently than he started it, I feel good about his chances at the moment - whether he goes on loan or stays. We'll see how it develops.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
He's been improving and was slowly coming into his own towards the end of the season.

His performance vs Watford was his by far his best performance at the club. He had the Watford defenders on their toes. He looked faster and more powerful. There was something Sterling-esque about him. Hopefully, he builds on this and carries it into next season.

I always thought he lacked self belief, but that goal at Liverpool really lifted a big weight off his shoulder.

Last edited:

Geofranco

Would let Saka date his daughter

Player:Saka
It sounds a bit ridiculous to say but Reiss could turn out to be a better player than Pepe. He has a capacity for association that Pepe doesn't have.

It's important to develop our assets wisely. If we send Reiss out on loan or fail to give him opportunities now we're likely condemning ourselves to losing him for very little, and a potential Gnabry situation (Gnabry was the superior prospect--he was a rare talent, you don't get players with his quality and decision making in the final third often--but still).

It all depends on if Auba moves centrally, for me. If Arteta can make it work with him in centrally then there will be enough minutes for Reiss to make his mark with Willian in the fold. If not, yeah, it's a problem.

I don't think it sounds that ridiculous. Nobody knew who Pepe was at 20.

I think Gnabry was superior physically.He was built like Rooney, so I never thought that adapting the first team football was ever gonna be an issue for him from that standpoint.

But in terms of technique, Nelson is up there with Gnabry and Wilshere as our best prospects in the last 15 years.

Nelson has everything you want in an Arsenal attacking talent, apart from hold up play and heading ability.

He can dribble, play combination footy, create chances with his passing and also finish with either foot.

He even displayed the ability to score free-kicks at youth level. Maybe it won't come together for him and he will end up as another failed prospect, but it is not because he didn't have the talent.

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚
I think what was special and gave me so much confidence about Gnabry making it was his personality and brain. You could tell he just had a special talent for making the right decision in the final third. You can't teach that no matter how much technique and talent you have.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
I don't think it sounds that ridiculous. Nobody knew who Pepe was at 20.

I think Gnabry was superior physically.He was built like Rooney, so I never thought that adapting the first team football was ever gonna be an issue for him from that standpoint.

But in terms of technique, Nelson is up there with Gnabry and Wilshere as our best prospects in the last 15 years.

Nelson has everything you want in an Arsenal attacking talent, apart from hold up play and heading ability.

He can dribble, play combination footy, create chances with his passing and also finish with either foot.

He even displayed the ability to score free-kicks at youth level. Maybe it won't come together for him and he will end up as another failed prospect, but it is not because he didn't have the talent.
Yeah, bit annoying that Nelson doesn't take direct free-kicks anymore - they're far better than his corners :lol:.

I agree, Nelson's technical level is very high and we need guys like that in the team, and I also think he's done well to improve his physical ability because in his most recent games he's been giving full-backs trouble with his acceleration in tight areas. He's not an especially powerful runner but he has a burst over 10-20m that can get him away from defenders in tight areas. That should be very useful in final 3rd situations. Anywhere across that attacking midfield line, he has the potential to cause problems for any team at his best. He just needed to have more confidence and he was beginning to show that. I'm eager to see him build on his momentum going forward.

Gooner416

Master of Stonks
Trusted ⭐

Willock has grabbed nothing other than his **** during games this season.
Edgy post with zero substance. Try again hipster. 5 goals and an assist in his first season with the first team at the age of 20 where as we had a player who was sold for 35m to the Champions and continuously hyped up who contributed less in every season but his last, while playing further advanced. Joe has earned his opportunities.

Geofranco

Would let Saka date his daughter

Player:Saka
Edgy post with zero substance. Try again hipster. 5 goals and an assist in his first season with the first team at the age of 20 where as we had a player who was sold for 35m to the Champions and continuously hyped up who contributed less in every season but his last, while playing further advanced. Joe has earned his opportunities.

I like Willock and think he has some good attributes, but he really needs a season long loan. Probably needs 2 years before he is ready to contribute here. But he has to first prove himself in a different environment, out of his comfort zone. I think he can be a starter for most lower level EPL teams. But it is always so hard finding the right loan for our youth players.

Gooner416

Master of Stonks
Trusted ⭐

I like Willock and think he has some good attributes, but he really needs a season long loan. Probably needs 2 years before he is ready to contribute here. But he has to first prove himself in a different environment, out of his comfort zone. I think he can be a starter for most lower level EPL teams. But it is always so hard finding the right loan for our youth players.
As we currently have zero creative midfielders considered for selection, Joe was often pushed further up the field and nullifying some of his ability by breaking the lines. I think he can easily play a Guendouzi role pre-Arteta sitting deeper with midfielders like Aouar and Xhaka next to him.

Tourbillion

Angry & Miserable
Calm down Susan.

Joe started brightly and I was mega excited about him last preseason but since late last year he's done almost nothing.

I still believe in him but he needs a loan and Smith Rowe should be given a go in his place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom