• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Aston La Vista To The Title?

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
Klopp -

Half season at Liverpool - finished 8th.
First full season at Liverpool - finished 4th (CL).
Second full season at Liverpool - finished 4th again but made CL final.
Third full season at Liverpool - finished 2nd and won the CL.
Fourth full season at Liverpool - won the premier league title.

So Arteta is basically trying to follow this. Going to need some big windows, but our squad is much further along than Liverpools was. We have the keeper situation sorted for example and already have an elite goalscorer at the club.

First step is to haul ourselves back into the CL which is very possible with a great transfer window and Arteta at the helm.

How delusional :lol:

We don’t have a Countinho to sell and we don’t have any players as good as Mane, Salah or VVD. Arteta couldn’t even beat Olympiakos but we’re predicting him to win the CL lmao.

TornadoTed

Established Member
How delusional :lol:

We don’t have a Countinho to sell and we don’t have any players as good as Mane, Salah or VVD. Arteta couldn’t even beat Olympiakos but we’re predicting him to win the CL lmao.

Klopp didn't have players as good as Mane, Salah or VVD when he arrived either. I would actually say the Liverpool squad was worse when he took over than the Arsenal squad when Mikel took over.

Of course it's highly unlikely that history will repeat itself, everything would have to align perfectly but 3-4 years is a long time in football. Only 5 of the 37 players who were there when Klopp arrived are still there, Gomez, Milner, Henderson, Firminho and Origi which just shows how a football club can be completely transformed and overhauled in a very short time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015–16_Liverpool_F.C._season#First_team

Last edited:

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
Klopp didn't have players as good as Mane, Salah or VVD when he arrived either. I would actually say the Liverpool squad was worse when he took over than the Arsenal squad when Mikel took over.

Of course it's highly unlikely that history will repeat itself, everything would have to align perfectly but 3-4 years is a long time in football. Only 5 of the 37 players who were there when Klopp arrived are still there, Gomez, Milner, Henderson, Firminho and Origi which just shows how a football club can be completely transformed and overhauled in a very short time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015–16_Liverpool_F.C._season#First_team

Well when we have a player like Countinho we can sell for 100+ million and other players like Benteke and those Bournemouth ones where we get way more for the player then we won't end up like Liverpool.

Arsenal fans have this obsession with being like Liverpool, Firminho/Lacazette, Robertson/Tierney, saying we're gonna copy in their foot steps. It's a bit pathetic tbh.

OnlyOne

🎙️ Future Journalist
Trusted ⭐

Yeah, everyone was comparing us to Liverpool too with Emery, lmao. Kept telling the feckers that's not how it works but they wouldn't listen.

The Liverpool one makes me laugh really, they spent tons on absolute rubbish that people always forget about. But that was coupled with one/2 signings which were decent and then obviously Klopp.

Best thing they ever did was sell Coutinho and basically had the choice of whatever players they wanted.

TornadoTed

Established Member
Well when we have a player like Countinho we can sell for 100+ million and other players like Benteke and those Bournemouth ones where we get way more for the player then we won't end up like Liverpool.

Arsenal fans have this obsession with being like Liverpool, Firminho/Lacazette, Robertson/Tierney, saying we're gonna copy in their foot steps. It's a bit pathetic tbh.

I am not saying that we need to copy Liverpool, I couldn't care less about Liverpool to be honest. People who copy rarely succeed, we need to innovate and find our own blueprint to success.

I only mention them to highlight that 3 years is a long, long time in football. When I hear things like 'we are so far behind', 'it will take 10 years to compete', 'Champions League winners in 3 years is delusional' and it just sounds plain defeatist to me.

You can rebuild a whole club in 3-4 years. We have 9 players left from 2016-2017 and most of them will barely feature for us this season and be off next summer. Not to mention we have a new manager, new coaching staff, new DOF, new chief exec, new academy setup, new scouting setup etc.

Last edited:

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
Arteta has given loads of interviews since he came back, but one thing that stuck in my mind was when he said that we had to improve and to do so quickly. I think he may have injected a sense of urgency in Kroenke who might finally get that mid table finishes wont protect his investment as the PL doesn't have the leveller playing fields that US sports have. Arteta also knows that players will no longer wait around for years while a squad is built which destroys the foundations our club. A lot of people are talking about copying Liverpool. Less than ten years ago, Souness especially talked quite a lot about how we were a blueprint for them to copy. We just need to get back to our true self-quality purchases that don't have to be expensive and promoting our top quality youth. The indicators are that Arteta could get a lot right-but only with the backing of the board.

WiscoGooner8

The key is that the board/owners have to be ambitious as well. It would take the greatest coaching display of all time for the squad we have now to win the CL.

EmeryCouldnt

Established Member
Imagined being alarmed that a guy who could be paid millions of year in a high pressure public job has notes about it on his wall about it.:lol:

We don’t know what it looked like. Perhaps you imagine a blackboard with notes; I imagine the obsessive ravings of a beautiful mind.

boonthegoon

Arteta In by November

Player:Ødegaard
Refreshing changes from the time he's been appointed

Only issue Chelsea strengthening massively which will stunt our progress

Manberg

Predator

Only thing stunting ours and Mikel's progress is the catalogue of errors and poor decisions made by previous management that he's trying as best he can to contend with.

Taneruit

Established Member

Player:Zinchenko

They haven't really strengthened as much as bought depth. In fact their transfer business, while great players, is overrated as they haven't really sorted out their issues (IMO) yet.

Edit: I mean, currently their central defenders still consists of Zouma and while Thiago Silva would be a great player he's 36 by the time the season really starts ffs.

Last edited:

Riotof91

Only thing stunting ours and Mikel's progress is the catalogue of errors and poor decisions made by previous management that he's trying as best he can to contend with.
The previous management was allowed to fester into a down spiral because of the indifference of the owners. As long as the ownership is the same any manager will be stunted by the fact we have owners and fans who don’t care about winning titles

Manberg

Predator
The previous management was allowed to fester into a down spiral because of the indifference of the owners. As long as the ownership is the same any manager will be stunted by the fact we have owners and fans who don’t care about winning titles

Gazidis was the one on my mind when I said that. The £350k a week contract to Özil is the worst decision the club has made in over 10 years. Not cashing in on players leaving, letting Ramsey go for free, giving contracts to mediocre players such as El Neny, too much money wasted on duds (Mustafi £35m defender) etc.

EmeryCouldnt

Established Member

Another team doing well does not stunt our progress. Unless you mean their impact on the transfer market. Improving as a club is up to us only and we've been making the wrong decisions for a little while. It looks like we are in the right direction, but I've felt this way before.

GDeep™

League is very weak
We finished 2 points off 3rd and reached a European final last season. Didn’t see you talking about the previous regime then. Finish 8th and now it’s their fault.

They didn’t sign Luiz, Cebellos in midfield, both of whom were poor till June/July, it was Raul also who took the Ramsey contract off the table. It was Raul also who went to war with Özil. The same Raul who got sacked within 18 months of becoming head of football here.

Arsenal Quotes

People say why I did lie on the floor after the goal, they think I was tired. But I think I was a lot cleverer than people thought.

Charlie George reveals it was all a time-wasting plan after the double winning goal
Top Bottom