• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Emiliano Martínez (Out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

The man loves it here and he would extend.

Where do you get that he would extend? Hasn't thus far and the club wants to sell players with 2 years in contract if they don't renew.

I'd like that too, but hard to see it happening when he wants to be a #1 at this point of his career.

Furious

Emery Gone, Telly Back On
Manninger and Coquelin are very good examples of a 'purple patch'
The people on here losing their minds about Martinez potentially being sold are likely the same idiots who were on here chatting **** that we didn't need to " waste money on Kante when we have Coquelin " :lol:

Coquelin was an average player. Same "purple patch" if you wanna call it that, as Torreira. People overrated them because they could put in a tackle, and thought they were the answer to our problems, completely neglecting the fact that they have to play football, too.

Manninger, no idea why @bingobob brought him up as I doubt anyone here has forgotten him, truth is most posters here are way too young to remember what he did or did not do.

Thing is, Martinez has shown such an high level that could make him the best GK in the league, he was that dominant. Of course a sale of him could be soften by signing the likes of Partey and Aouar, but until we're there, people will find it hard to accept selling him. Rightly so.

It's like selling Auba instead of Laca, how would you feel about that?

Reactions: Jae

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Gabriel
It could be argued that Leno was our best player pre lockdown but with the way Arteta wants us to play and having enough sample size with both Leno and Martinez starting I'd say Emi suits us more.
Leno probably the better shot stopper but the huge factor Martinez has over him is his presence in the box to come and claim the ball, you really feel confident with Martinez defending set pieces, something I don't think Leno will ever have.
As Leno is on higher wages much more likely that Martinez would go. If he's still here by the weekend will be interesting to see who starts at Fulham.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

@Furious I brought him up because someone said keepers have good games not purple patches, or something similar to that.

Manninger had a purple patch as a keeper for us. His situation has striking similarities to Martinez. A reserve keeper given a chance, he had splendid form. And then that form nose dived and he faded into obscurity.

lamby22

It's Not Lupus

With talk he could be going to AV (yuck!) I'm really surprised a club like Chelsea hasn't put a sneaky bid in. With the money they've spaffed on areas they actually don't need to strengthen you'd think they could scrape £25-£30m together for their Achilles heal. For a keeper who is very strong in the air which is where Kepa seems to struggle the most. Curious.

Maybe Chelsea think he’s going through a ‘purple patch’ as well and don’t want to spend 25m on a player that has spent most of his career in the reserves or on loan.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Coquelin was an average player.

Hey...my boy Coq had about a 6 month period of probably being the best DM in the league, he made a massive difference to our team when he came into it (just like Emi did this year) don't forget that son.

Furious

@Furious I brought him up because someone said keepers have good games not purple patches, or something similar to that.

Manninger had a purple patch as a keeper for us. His situation has striking similarities to Martinez. A reserve keeper given a chance, he had splendid form. And then that form nose dived and he faded into obscurity.

Fair enough. Not supporting that argument either way, but you had to go back 20 years to find one example of it.

GunnerShy

Maybe Chelsea think he’s going through a ‘purple patch’ as well and don’t want to spend 25m on a player that has spent most of his career in the reserves or on loan.
I get that. But they're being linked with a keeper from the French league who is a little older and doesn't have much more experience.

Don't see this issue with being on loan, experience between the sticks is experience.

Don't get me wrong, I don't care, and I don't want to strengthen them, just find it interesting. Maybe I overrate him.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
He doesn't really feel like a Villa level keeper. That would be an odd move to take at 28.

Bit annoying Chelsea have not made us an offer we cant refuse for Leno.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Doesn't Arteta have more of a say in transfers now?

Guess we just have to trust Mikel whatever happens, whatever goalkeeper he prefers will be number 1 this season.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
At this moment it feels like it. Why sell the keeper who has shown the higher level?

But he hasn't shown the higher level. Leno and Martinez have equally shown how good they are last season. There's no real difference between the pair, both are top top goalkeepers.

Auba is consistently world class every season, Lacazette is very up and down. That comparison isn't the same for the keepers.

Furious

Hey...my boy Coq had about a 6 month period of probably being the best DM in the league, he made a massive difference to our team when he came into it (just like Emi did this year) don't forget that son.

Anyone with a bit of football knowledge could see that he wasn't doing enough on the ball to be able to withhold whatever form he was showing. Once Cazorla went to ground, he was finished here.

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

At this moment it feels like it. Why sell the keeper who has shown the higher level?

Look as I said, the whole difference I see between the two is consistency. I’m yet to see Emi have a full season. That’s why I’d rather keep both and decide which is what I think we’ll do.

That being said, if 20M can get us Partey then I’d do it.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

Because he has shown it for so little time and has 2 years left in contract. He needs to extend his contract in some way.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩

Do you just go around saying other forumers posts and opinions are ****?

Just because you don't agree with it doesn't mean he's a dogshit poster. In fact the only person posting dog **** on here is you.

Why don't you go about your business and post nicely instead of being a complete tool.

krengon

One Arsène Wenger
Trusted ⭐
Honestly just prefer keepers in the mould of Martinez.. Leno being weaker on crosses/in the box and with his feet is a big disadvantage imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom