• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Alexandre Lacazette: Alex Swan Song?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arteta needs to get someone else to do Laca's defensive duties so he can spend more time in the box and do his thing. Whether that's Willian or Dani or someone new we bring in, I don't know.

In modern football, we defend as a team. No need for Laca to stay in the box when defending. If Laca can improve his stamina he should be able to do both jobs for 90 minutes.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
I really liked his performance today, although he ran out of steam pretty quickly as he is wont to do. But thought he was selfless off the ball and purposeful on it. Took his finish well aswell.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Interesting Arteta said Eddie is on a level with Lacazette

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
He worked really hard today and was still running after the 70th minute. His lack of pace means he runs harder than he might like but he held up play, took his goal well and dropped deep to link play. My gripe is that I want more (for the price we paid). Good start for him though.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Interesting Arteta said Eddie is on a level with Lacazette
Big praise for Eddie IMO, who I feel is still raw but ultimately improving. Laca is putting up a decent fight though, I don't think he did himself bad today with his performance and he got a crucial away goal too.

Sniper Mik

Not a Closet Sp**s Fan
I really want him to do well here but I can feel a distinct lack of dynamism in that central area from him when players like Auba and Willian and Pepe are all just zipping around him, he just seems half a step slower in speed and thought. But he's so good in the box though, and that's a precious quality to have.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

Think he held up the ball well today. Plus got a goal. Not too shabby but would definitely want to see more than that. He is a bit on the slow side for my liking though. Still, he does put in a shift defensively.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Clearly the club and he agree he isn't going anywhere this year

But where's does that leave us? No news of a contract. Will we look to sell next summer?

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

But where's does that leave us? No news of a contract. Will we look to sell next summer?
I reckon we will. Not calling Arteta a liar but I’m not convinced.

Think it depends how he gets on this season, but as of now I can’t see an extension.

Harry Hunter

Eduoard looks promising but we should keep Laca imo. He brings the best out of Auba and singing another young striker would block the path of Martinelli/Eddie etc. Also the presence of an attacking midfielder like aouar would mean he can play further forward. If Abraham can get 15 goals last season Laca can easily do that especially if he recovers his form at Lyon.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Eduoard looks promising but we should keep Laca imo. He brings the best out of Auba and singing another young striker would block the path of Martinelli/Eddie etc. Also the presence of an attacking midfielder like aouar would mean he can play further forward. If Abraham can get 15 goals last season Laca can easily do that especially if he recovers his form at Lyon.

Edouard would bring more out of Auba. He is comfortable moving wide allowing Auba to move infield. He is also so much quicker than lacazette that when Auba gets to the byline Edouard would have the pace to get ahead of his marker with ease. Add to the fact that when he receives the ball, he is fully capable of turning and running away from players.

Keeping Laca wouldn't be smart. I'm not high on his performance to be honest. Made a few good tackles coming back on the blind side. Held the ball up well sometimes, lost it as well when he shouldn't have, completed 1 dribble. Edouard averages 7 per game. Scored a tap in. Missed a tap in. Genuinely need to upgrade on him. He is just comfortable picking up his wages and chilling with his friends. Eddie is good enough to push him out of the 11. I like Eddie, but Edouard is a much better player and I'd rather they were competing for a starting spot than Laca.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Im all for selling Laca, but not to get Edouard here.

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Gabriel
I think Arteta is a fan and I'm pleased he is. I think Nketiah needs a proper run, he was getting it until his red card last season. He has proven himself at every level, no reason why he wont do it at the top level.
And hopefully them both knowing there's competition to keep the place as starting CF means they raise each others games. I rate them both. Tap in or not it was ideal for Laca to score in the first game to get off and running.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Looked slow, off-pace, heavy touches all over the place so he kept giving the ball away(or not reaching trough-balls that he should)
One of his worst overall performances in recent times.
Weak-link in our attack.

Without wishing to be unkind, I really do wish we had someone with more pace, power and skill in his role. Defenders brush him off quite easily, and he’s happy to settle for the free kick when they do, which kills our momentum. Giroud-esque.

Actually you can see the difference in mentality Willian has added here on the build up for the 3rd goal. Laca comes short to receive Elneny’s pass on the halfway line, but gets tackled and momentarily he, along with Elneny, Xhaka and 1 or 2 others stop and turn to the ref.

Meanwhile Willian plays to the whistle - gets the loose ball, sees Auba in space and seizes the chances to exploit Fulham’s lack of focus.

He still has a role here but for just one game I’d love to see what a front 3 of Willian, Auba, Saka/-Pepe could do, maybe even with Mesut in behind.

We had the 5th fewest attempts on goal last season, and that needs to be addressed.

Kysus

We just have to look at it from all angles and the whole picture screams "sell".
-Massive wages
-2 years left
-Adds valuable holdup and linkup to our game
-Scores goals
-Can be improved upon

We know what we get from Laca, proven, he adds things we desperately need.
Selling is a big risk as we need the replacement to perform immediately so I can see why Arteta is reluctant. BUT now is the point to sell and transformation always is risky. We cannot let Laca run down his contract and with his wages extension is out of question as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom