• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The Under-23s Thread

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Matt Smith is an interesting prospect. Really glad we have some talented midfielders coming up. Azeez, Smith, Patino and Bandeira.

Hope Smith can get some action in the 20/21 pre-season. To me Balogun has more talent than Nketiah.

I know we have to give all the young forwards chances, but Balogun and Sam Greenwood have the biggest upside imo.

Although I do like John Jules too. Do you think Coyle can still make it here?
Yeah, we are STACKED in midfield at youth level. Even after losing Musah incredibly. Only thing I'd say about our midfield is that our biggest talents lack power+height a little, although looking at Bandeira, he's a big lad.

Smith should be in the same conversation as our bigger talents. He moves the ball incredibly well, and positions himself extremely well compared to other players. Really progresses play very well. I reckon he will translate to first team football really well if he can hack it physically.

I agree on Balogun - Nketiah was an incredible scorer at youth level and really rounded his game out well when he was down there, but Balogun looks to be every inch the superstar forward in general play and in front of goal. He's everything I hoped Chuba Akpom would be.

As for Trae Coyle, I think he'll have a hard time but he's as talented as any of our youth and given his form of late, he could really take advantage of any opportunity. Needs a good loan for me, send him to League One or Championship for a bit and see how he fares.

I really hope Clarke one day plays for the first team. I'm longing for at least one defender to get in. I had really high hopes for Ballard but he's got injured at the wrong time. I assume Clarke was the captain of the night as I like his vocalness on the pitch and passing ability with both feet.
Clarke was indeed skipper for the night and really commanded the backline for the majority of the match. He waned big time along with the rest of the team towards the end but overall he was one of the stronger performers. Him and Swanson have been excellent for the U23s this season and Clarke in particular could actually be the CB we're looking for from the academy. Not particularly that tall, but combative, good in possession and reads the game well.

Coyle needs a lot of Iwobi like dominos to fall in place to make it. When this 01 group was a bit younger he was the standout talent but injuries have slowed his progress as he lost a lot of confidence. Good to hear he's regaining it. He was really good and had everything technique power pace flair . On pure technique, he might be the best youngster followed by Azeez and Taylor-Hart . He needs a very good loan.
+1 on Taylor-Hart. He's an excellent technician - shades of Coyle though with the big injury. I hope his development hasn't been harmed. I really like Taylor-Hart though, probably the best winger from this current intake.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐

Saliba starting!!! Interesting!

Don't like the midfield though, Akinola AND Olayinka is a bit redundant to me. Should have started one of Azeez or Cirjan alongside Akinola - Olayinka should be on loan already. Cottrell and Salah-Eddine should be good viewing though, and we'll also get a look at George Lewis aswell over 90 mins. Bit interesting that Alebiosu is the main RB at this level - I thought it would be Oyegoke (who's been playing CB lately). I hope McGuinness isn't injured again.

Looking forward to seeing Akinola but bit disappointed not to see Azeez.

Manberg

Predator

Saliba starting!!! Interesting!

Don't like the midfield though, Akinola AND Olayinka is a bit redundant to me. Should have started one of Azeez or Cirjan alongside Akinola - Olayinka should be on loan already. Cottrell and Salah-Eddine should be good viewing though, and we'll also get a look at George Lewis aswell over 90 mins. Bit interesting that Alebiosu is the main RB at this level - I thought it would be Oyegoke (who's been playing CB lately). I hope McGuinness isn't injured again.

Looking forward to seeing Akinola but bit disappointed not to see Azeez.

I spent a good few minutes looking for Salah in the lineup, then looked up who that M'hand guy is :lol:

Is it a double pivot in midfield?

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Saliba and Ballard are really comfy both defending and on the ball. Defensive set up really working so far.

Ballard has really improved technically and become a bit of a ball player at the back now.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Cottrell is everywhere, both in attack and defence. He impresses me every time I see him.
Yeah been very busy and uses the ball well aswell. Him and Olayinka starting to control things upfront

Bola is very clumsy but hes been mostly strong 1v1 so far till that last tackle lol

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
So badly wanted that to have a better ending than hitting the post.. Was really nice up until.
Yeah great play, predictably from Balogun. Looks to be the only attacker who is involved in the game so far. Salah very deep and Lewis a bit invisible so far.

Heskey

🌑 🌘🌗🌖🌕🌔🌓🌒
Trusted ⭐
Saliba's pass from deep for Balogun was very effortlessly. Would've created a decent chance if there was more support and Balogun had look towards the box rather than shoot.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom