• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Granit Xhaka: Swiss Army Knife or Blunt Tool?

Will Xhaka be here after the summer window?

• Yes

Votes: 38 55.1%
  • No

Votes: 31 44.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

RacingPhoton

Established Member
I mean do you really think he’ll be a squad player though?

I’m seeing you both saying Guendo - Ceballos would be a better pairing but don't think any manager has gone with those two together over Xhaka when all three have been fit and eligible.

More likely is that Arteta drops the third CB than drops Xhaka. There’s no precedent for him being anything other than a key player for Mikel.
Guendouzi is a superior talent. But he is just 21. As you would expect of any of a young player, he can be highly inconsistent. He even provided two MoM performances during Emery's time last season-probably one of the worst period for Arsenal in the last decade. But he sandwiches that with performances which are at other end of the spectrum.
The fact that he was competing for a spot with Xhaka at the age of 21 tells something about both the players.

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚
The stats actually indicate that he's seeing less of the ball under Arteta, he's passing the ball forward less and carrying it forward less. He's also taking less risky passes more often. I'm fairly certain he see's Xhaka as upgradable but bigger issues persist with the team.

Yeah, he also made clear tactical adjustments upon arriving to get the best out of Xhaka, which we saw in the first few games, which involved making a set up where he could receive under less pressure and in more space-- or later, playing a 3 at the back formation, or a more conservative style of play, where his defensive weaknesses/lack of mobility are less exposed.

It doesn't take a genius to figure out what's going on, and we're talking about relatively clear and straightforward things, but it seems there are a few here dead set on doing mental gymnastics to arrive to some really mad conclusions.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Guendouzi is a superior talent. But he is just 21. As you would expect of any of a young player, he can be highly inconsistent. He even provided two MoM performances during Emery's time last season-probably one of the worst period for Arsenal in the last decade. But he sandwiches that with performances which are at other end of the spectrum.
The fact that he was competing for a spot with Xhaka at the age of 21 tells something about both the players.

Ok cool but that’s got nothing to do with what I said though? :lol:

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚
I’m seeing you both saying Guendo - Ceballos would be a better pairing but don't think any manager has gone with those two together over Xhaka when all three have been fit and eligible.

This logic you guys keep going with about how all managers have chosen Xhaka is so weird. Is Dani Parejo a world class player because god knows how many Valencia managers picked him? Is Allan because he was picked under 4-5 managers at Napoli?

No, actually, if we watch football and have a perspective of the sport we can say this: they are quite similar level players to Xhaka, players who do a few things very well, have a few weaknesses, and all in all make for a good player in a fringe top club side in a big league, which is what we are over the last few years.

This is an evolution, Arteta has reminded us that many times, and if he has the vision and the exigency we think and hope he does we will evolve to better, more capable players than Xhaka, and a better, more protagonistic, less limited football than we have so far played under Arteta.

The whole 'he has played for 4 managers', in the middle of one of the worst time in our history, logic is so specious and so strange that you let it justify so many weird conclusions for yourselves.

I'm sorry guys, but Xhaka just isn't the press resistant, world class deep lying playmaker you guys are making him out to be. He's not press resistant, certainly, and he's not world-class, certainly, and he's not better than Ceballos, or more important to us. These are just simple, straightforward realities if we are living in the real world and not Arsenal fan heaven.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

This logic you guys keep going with about how all managers have chosen Xhaka is so weird. Is Dani Parejo a world class player because god knows how many Valencia managers picked him? Is Allan because he was picked under 4-5 managers at Napoli?

No, actually, if we watch football and have a perspective of the sport we can say this: they are quite similar level players to Xhaka, players who do a few things very well, have a few weaknesses, and all in all make for a good player in a fringe top club side in a big league, which is what we are over the last few years.

This is an evolution, Arteta has reminded us that many times, and if he has the vision and the exigency we think and hope he does we will evolve to better, more capable players than Xhaka, and a better, more protagonistic, less limited football than we have so far played under Arteta.

The whole 'he has played for 4 managers', in the middle of one of the worst time in our history, logic is so specious and so strange that you let it justify so many weird conclusions for yourselves.

I'm sorry guys, but Xhaka just isn't the press resistant, world class deep lying playmaker you guys are making him out to be. He's not press resistant, certainly, and he's not world-class, certainly, and he's not better than Ceballos, or more important to us. These are just simple, straightforward realities if we are living in the real world and not Arsenal fan heaven.

Why do you keep writing these paragraphs if I say Xhaka is someone that managers clearly like? :lol:

He’s had ample opportunity to be dropped but he hasn’t. I’m not even calling him world class but it’s funny how you literally can’t even admit he’s likely to be a key player this year.

Manberg

Predator
You won’t respect stats, you won’t even watch videos of Xhaka, yet you spout the same BS about Xhaka such as not being press resistant, average squad player etc. without any reference to back up your arguments.

No one said Xhaka doesn’t have weaknesses. Every player has big weaknesses, even Messi. Yet you choose to gloss over his strengths as if he didn’t have any. Every argument I’m hearing from the agenda merchants is the same strawman crap without any substance.

Ash10

Chairman of the Bum Brigade
You won’t respect stats, you won’t even watch videos of Xhaka, yet you spout the same BS about Xhaka such as not being press resistant, average squad player etc. without any reference to back up your arguments.

No one said Xhaka doesn’t have weaknesses. Every player has big weaknesses, even Messi. Yet you choose to gloss over his strengths as if he didn’t have any. Every argument I’m hearing from the agenda merchants is the same strawman crap without any substance.
& you still don't know what strawman means:rofl:

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚
if I say Xhaka is someone that managers clearly like?

Because it's a pretty pointless statement, especially given his competition in the team. Hence the whole point of the Allan and Parejo examples.

I’m not even calling him world class but it’s funny how you literally can’t even admit he’s likely to be a key player this year.
That's good that you're not because it's a bit mad. When did I say he isn't likely to be a key player? I didn't. I think he will, because I don't think we'll get both Thomas and Aouar, and we might not even get one. What I've said is: Ceballos is better/more important to Arteta's plans. Something rather clear if you don't have this strange, fervent love for Xhaka.

I have a feeling both of you were big pro-Emery guys in his first months here, no?

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Because it's a pretty pointless statement, especially given his competition in the team. Hence the whole point of the Allan and Parejo examples.

That's good that you're not because it's a bit mad. When did I say he isn't likely to be a key player? I didn't. I think he will, because I don't think we'll get both Thomas and Aouar, and we might not even get one. What I've said is: Ceballos is better/more important to Arteta's plans. Something rather clear if you don't have this strange, fervent love for Xhaka.

I have a feeling both of you were big pro-Emery guys in his first months here, no?

Except for the part when he’s never started a game ahead of him though :rofl: Where are you even getting this stuff from?

Emery point is a bit weird, iirc wanted him sacked by October last year at the latest if not before.

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚
Emery point is a bit weird, iirc wanted him sacked by October last year at the latest if not before.

It was just a hunch. The kind of strange, perspective-less stuff you guys are saying about Xhaka is similar to the stuff I read about Emery when he was hired here, making him into something he's not, exactly how you do with Xhaka.

If you wanted him sacked by October you realised a year and 5 months late that he was not good enough for Arsenal. Don't do the same in realising that Granit Xhaka is not some world-beater and that he is not someone we need to evolve above if we want to be a real big club, as Mikel promises us!

Except for the part when he’s never started a game ahead of him though :rofl: Where are you even getting this stuff from?

What kind of response is this? Are they in direct competition for spots? Nope. So what does that response hope to achieve?

Where do I get it from: from what anyone with a pair of eyes and some perspective about football would tell you if they're honest, including our own manager-- Ceballos is the better player.

Anyways, enough, you will learn it sooner or later, as you did with Emery.

Manberg

Predator
It was just a hunch. The kind of strange, perspective-less stuff you guys are saying about Xhaka is similar to the stuff I read about Emery when he was hired here, making him into something he's not, exactly how you do with Xhaka.

If you wanted him sacked by October you realised a year and 5 months late that he was not good enough for Arsenal. Don't do the same in realising that Granit Xhaka is not some world-beater and that he is not someone we need to evolve above if we want to be a real big club, as Mikel promises us!

Arteta wanted Xhaka at City. Arteta convinced Xhaka to stay at the club when Xhaka was about to leave for £30m in January. Xhaka’s a huge part of Arteta’s plans whether you like it or not, and that won’t change no matter who we bring in.

p.s: I never liked Emery. I wanted Arteta before we even signed Emery. I posted so under a different name.

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚
and that won’t change no matter who we bring in.

Quite confident this is false--as I am a number of your other statements (a. Xhaka is world-class, b. Xhaka is press resistant, c. Xhaka-Partey-Aouar would be the best midfield in the premier, d. Xhaka is better/more important than Ceballos)--but we are going in circles, as I said, we will see this season as it evolves.

Just please let's lay off the outlandish statements like those above, especially a. to c.

d. will only be outlandish if Dani keeps playing like he did last spring and you're still saying it after a few months more like that. For now I understand it's probably a bit early for it to be clear to those who haven't watched him before Arsenal that much.

Ash10

Arteta wanted Xhaka at City. Arteta convinced Xhaka to stay at the club when Xhaka was about to leave for £30m in January. Xhaka’s a huge part of Arteta’s plans whether you like it or not, and that won’t change no matter who we bring in.

p.s: I never liked Emery. I wanted Arteta before we even signed Emery. I posted so under a different name.
You always forget to mention the great big club this world class DLP was gonna join in January btw:rofl:

Ash10

Quite confident this is false--as I am a number of your other statements (a. Xhaka is world-class, b. Xhaka is press resistant, c. Xhaka-Partey-Aouar would be the best midfield in the premier, d. Xhaka is better/more important than Ceballos)--but we are going in circles, as I said, we will see this season as it evolves.

Just please let's lay off the outlandish statements like those above, especially a. to c.

d. will only be outlandish if Dani keeps playing like he did last spring and you're still saying it after a few months more like that. For now I understand it's probably a bit early for it to be clear to those who haven't watched him before Arsenal that much.
Spoiler alert:

He won't

Manberg

Predator

Your statements suggesting that Xhaka is no better than a squad player, using expected goals and assists (of penalty takers) to compare players, claiming that Xhaka is not good against a press etc... they are the outlandish ones. By the way I wasn’t comparing Xhaka and Ceballos you were, I only said that they have different roles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom