• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: Think This Might Be It For Me(sut)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finesse

I don't buy that at all. In my opinion Özil either has a bad attitude or is not training up to standards. Maitland Niles is a good example of someone who was dropped by Arteta initially and worked his way back into Arteta's good graces and the team through an improved attitude and training.

The only two players who have been long term frozen out in this way are Guendouzi and Özil, probably because they didn't change either their attitudes / training levels. I believe they were / are bad characters in the squad and Arteta has pinpointed that.

Not training up to standards is kicking the ball into the tall grass. It means nothing. That is why he is so uncomfortable and rambles when pressed during his pressers. I love Arteta but it is embarrassing to hear him when he speaks on this issue. He is precise on clear on everything but Özil saga. We are doing well now as a team and credit to Arteta. This is enough as a platform for us to stand on and kick Mesut on the floor. However we can handle this better. Niles was given a chance and he took it. So Özil should be given one too. Miraculously Özil after lock down stopped giving 100 percent in training. Bizarre ! Play him and give him a chance for us to see his is rubbish. He may not be the world beater he once was but he is not so bad not to make a Caraboa team.

I support the club but cannot swallow everything they say.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

Not training up to standards is kicking the ball into the tall grass. It means nothing. That is why he is so uncomfortable and rambles when pressed during his pressers. I love Arteta but it is embarrassing to hear him when he speaks on this issue. He is precise on clear on everything but Özil saga. We are doing well now as a team and credit to Arteta. This is enough as a platform for us to stand on and kick Mesut on the floor. However we can handle this better. Niles was given a chance and he took it. So Özil should be given one too. Miraculously Özil after lock down stopped giving 100 percent in training. Bizarre ! Play him and give him a chance for us to see his is rubbish. He may not be the world beater he once was but he is not so bad not to make a Caraboa team.

I support the club but cannot swallow everything they say.

Why would he give AMN a chance but not Özil who was his team mate and he won FA Cup with?

Do you think he hates him? Do you think he is not a sensible person who can give anyone a chance if they give their everything and are committed? Why would he "kick Özil on the floor" for nothing?

Moleque

Of course I have no standing, might you point our where I suggested I had? But Özil has standing and he and his agents could take the view that this is a deliberate attempt to damage his reputation and finances.

And they would definitely need to explain this to him if the matter is raised and to a judge if they were to decide to litigate.
Still disagree - club has no reason to explain why they don't play a player. All they need to say is the manager doesn't feel he is the right person for the club. Him being highest earner has nothing to do with it - he got that contract years ago based upon expectations that he never lived up to.

Finesse

Well Özil has had these problems basically for ages now, and still you question even our new manager for not choosing him, his former team mate who he won FA Cup with.

You have the right to do that, but I'm 100 % rather backing Arteta's judgement than believing Özil is just being mistreated by managers for nothing. First it was Emery's fault and now it is Arteta's fault. It's ridiculous.
Still disagree - club has no reason to explain why they don't play a player. All they need to say is the manager doesn't feel he is the right person for the club. Him being highest earner has nothing to do with it - he got that contract years ago based upon expectations that he never lived up to.

Who is the club? People like you and me I guess. Not some infallible authority. This is some joke. One minute they are not answerable to anyone, the next we blame the club for not buying players etc. The club is you and me. Those who manage the affairs of the club are human and can be questioned. They are doing a job and that job means dealing with humans alike. So they can answer why a player is frozen out in plain form. Why hide behind training performance. Lame from a well respected bunch of people.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
You can disagree all you want, the law is the law and if they wanted to take action I believe they have an arguable case - whether it is a strong case or not is not for me to say. If a professional is prevented from exercising his profession through the actions of another party that party may have to answer for their actions in law.

What they pay the guy is irrelevant unless he has agreed to be paid that money not to play. As a professional he is entitled to expect to be given the opportunity to play, although he is not entitled to insist on playing, and the withdrawal of his registration for the entire season indicates that the decision has nothing to do with his fitness or willingness to play but with the club's anger at his decision not to leave and honour the bad contract they made.

You cannot put the blame for your bad decisions on those who benefit from them and you cannot break a contract simply because you made an error of judgement. And you cannot discriminate against or intimidate the beneficiary in the hope he will give up his rights. Negotiate or put up with the consequences.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Still think it’s insane that all of this stemmed from him refusing a paycut.

I would understand if everyone in the league did it but Arsenal were the only club to go against advice from the players union and demand everyone take an immediate pay it.

Punishing a guy for that has always seemed harsh to me.
We don’t know if that’s solely the reason he’s not playing though. We know he refused a pay cut, but that’s it. We’ve heard other stuff too since he refused, which would have made his situation worse; the rumour he has been telling other players they were wrong to accept it in so many words... Do we believe that? I think it’s a whole bunch of reasons now tbh, and I reckon he’ll create a few more before his contract ends.

drippin

Who is the club? People like you and me I guess. Not some infallible authority. This is some joke. One minute they are not answerable to anyone, the next we blame the club for not buying players etc. The club is you and me. Those who manage the affairs of the club are human and can be questioned. They are doing a job and that job means dealing with humans alike. So they can answer why a player is frozen out in plain form. Why hide behind training performance. Lame from a well respected bunch of people.

Either there is something neither Özil or the club is willing to tell, or it is related to Arteta's "120% commitment rule", or it is related to tactics, or it is something else.

In any case, these problems have been around for a long time for different managers so I find it hard to blame others than Özil.

I would have guessed he has some chronic back illness or something, but this PR stunt today made me think he has an issue with the club, and not much else.

Finesse

Either there is something neither Özil or the club is willing to tell, or it is related to Arteta's "120% commitment rule", or it is related to tactics, or it is something else.

In any case, these problems have been around for a long time for different managers so I find it hard to blame others than Özil.

I would have guessed he has some chronic back illness or something, but this PR stunt today made me think he has an issue with the club, and not much else.

Of course there is something the club is not willing to tell. Simple. I am not against the Manager. I just think he could handle it better. Sometimes we win as a club when it is done this way. From a PR angle it does not make anyone the winner. There is no winner. He is not playing. We are paying a huge fee for that weekly. What is the point ? If Messi and Barca could decide to look ahead and work as professionals despite unresolved issues, then we can do same and make the best out of a huge salary we are paying.

RacingPhoton

Established Member
You can disagree all you want, the law is the law and if they wanted to take action I believe they have an arguable case - whether it is a strong case or not is not for me to say. If a professional is prevented from exercising his profession through the actions of another party that party may have to answer for their actions in law.

What they pay the guy is irrelevant unless he has agreed to be paid that money not to play. As a professional he is entitled to expect to be given the opportunity to play, although he is not entitled to insist on playing, and the withdrawal of his registration for the entire season indicates that the decision has nothing to do with his fitness or willingness to play but with the club's anger at his decision not to leave and honour the bad contract they made.

You cannot put the blame for your bad decisions on those who benefit from them and you cannot break a contract simply because you made an error of judgement. And you cannot discriminate against or intimidate the beneficiary in the hope he will give up his rights. Negotiate or put up with the consequences.
I don't see how it is the law. There is a contract. The club pays him money and he plays when the club wants him to play. If the club decides against playing him, he can do nothing about it.
If you call this intimidating the player, players not signing contract extension till the last year is also intimidation. Didn't he do all the stunt to land a big money contract?
Now it's the club/manager's decision not to play him and he has to put up with it.

drippin

Of course there is something the club is not willing to tell. Simple. I am not against the Manager. I just think he could handle it better. Sometimes we win as a club when it is done this way. From a PR angle it does not make anyone the winner. There is no winner. He is not playing. We are paying a huge fee for that weekly. What is the point ? If Messi and Barca could decide to look ahead and work as professionals despite unresolved issues, then we can do same and make the best out of a huge salary we are paying.

We have been starved for creativity under both recent managers, and still Özil hasn't played much. Özil is no Messi, especially in recent years. Also Messi seems to love Barca, and Özil's PR stunts show he doesn't Arsenal similarly. Also Messi wants to play, Özil seems fine if he doesn't.

Clearly Arteta & Emery thought Özil doesn't improve us currently or is bad for the team, or any other reason. Managers want to win so they don't get sacked, and they don't for no reason drop players they would need.

I find this repetitive talk about Özil very boring now, and will likely get out of this thread for a few months again.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Must do if he’s paying his wages. :lol:
Come on. Jerry Quy is an old guy. Gunnersaurus is his side job. Those other who lost their jobs in the 55 redundancy, in which that job is their only source of livelihood. Why didn't he offer to pay one of their salaries until he leaves?
But he chose to pay the wage of a guy who has another job and he's being hailed as some sort of hero.

Oxeki

Trusted ⭐

Of course I have no standing, might you point our where I suggested I had? But Özil has standing and he and his agents could take the view that this is a deliberate attempt to damage his reputation and finances.

And they would definitely need to explain this to him if the matter is raised and to a judge if they were to decide to litigate.
By that point every player that doesn't get playing time will start to sue their clubs and coaches :lol:

Oxeki

Trusted ⭐

Messi is the best player in the world.
Mesut is a bum. These are quite different circumstances.
If Barca had dropped Messi to the bench, you think Messi would have hunkered down and keep collecting his paycheck and keep phoning it in?
He'd have left Barca.

Meanwhile, Özil doesn't really care as long as he takes home 350kpw

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Whatever the reason I'm glad we aren't playing Özil. He isnt the right player for a team that wants to battle and press. He's backs into headed duels without jumping ffs

Amazing talent with the ball and off the ball movement. Pretty tragic defensively

Finesse

We have been starved for creativity under both recent managers, and still Özil hasn't played much. Özil is no Messi, especially in recent years. Also Messi seems to love Barca, and Özil's PR stunts show he doesn't Arsenal similarly. Also Messi wants to play, Özil seems fine if he doesn't.

Clearly Arteta & Emery thought Özil doesn't improve us currently or is bad for the team, or any other reason. Managers want to win so they don't get sacked, and they don't for no reason drop players they would need.

I find this repetitive talk about Özil very boring now, and will likely get out of this thread for a few months again.

Özil's carreer started before Emery and Arteta...lol This is comical for a justification. You still cannot tell me why training ground commitment reduced to below 120 % only post lockdown....You find the repetitive talk boring because you have been kicked into the tall grass. Make a less repetitive by accepting the fact that this situation could have been handled better for the sake of the club, its finances and the fans. I am sure the cushion of the FA Cup and current form is a perfect foil to refuse to be objective. Not me.

Objectivity and criticism of how a particular issue has been handled does not make me not back a Manager or the Team as a whole. I am totally behind Arteta and strongly believe he will take us somewhere. However he is not immune to a critic. I am convinced if we handled the Douzi issue better and not ostracized him to diminish his value , time and wages , we would have ended up with AOUAR this summer. That is a fact. Yes he has issues we are aware of, but he is equally our investment we have to protect. We punish you but make sure we protect our investment. He will return from loan with a year to run on his deal. Investment gone down the drain. This is in no way condoning the players attitude at Norwich . It is a way of saying we can handle this other ways and protect our investment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

Young players need freedom of expression to develop as creative players... they should be encouraged to try skills without fear of failure.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom