• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsène Wenger: My Life and Lessons In Red & White

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
I think the dream for Wenger was to one day move from manager and work for the club in some capacity, he more or less said it recently, but Arsenal have never offered him anything.

Looking from the outside, you say lining himself so closely with the Arsenal project in the end burnt Wenger. In one interview he called himself a prisoner of some sort, as his natural personality was that of a traveller and wanderer.

He could’ve spent 2/3 years at Real, 2/3 years at Juventus, managed Bayern, managed France, worked at PSG, all his squad would’ve been all star, his budgets unlimited etc. That’s a regret, he’s said as much - https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/fo...-becoming-a-prisoner-at-arsenal-a3889336.html
He should of left soon after the stadium move in my opinion. He had achieved most of the stuff he could possibly achieve.

We 100% need to give him some sort of role at the club, I think it's absolutely ludicrous we havent. The more I think about it the more its a no brainer. He knows the club through and through despite the issues and shortcomings in his last few years here.

scytheavatar

Established Member
I think the dream for Wenger was to one day move from manager and work for the club in some capacity, he more or less said it recently, but Arsenal have never offered him anything.

Looking from the outside, you say lining himself so closely with the Arsenal project in the end burnt Wenger. In one interview he called himself a prisoner of some sort, as his natural personality was that of a traveller and wanderer.

He could’ve spent 2/3 years at Real, 2/3 years at Juventus, managed Bayern, managed France, worked at PSG, all his squad would’ve been all star, his budgets unlimited etc. That’s a regret, he’s said as much - https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/fo...-becoming-a-prisoner-at-arsenal-a3889336.html

He could also get fired in those clubs and end up being Fabio Capello........ his biggest regret should have been ruining Özil's career cause it was he that spoiled Özil and not improve him at all in those 5 years.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

You love getting the violins out for Wenger init :lol:

He’s had one of the best careers in management not sure why all the tears everyday. He should have been more self aware of his gargantuan stature, which made it awkward to ask him to leave - and left sooner.

You’d think Arsenal was a minor club before Wenger the way some of you go on. Wish he did get that manager job elsewhere so you Wenger fans could f*ck off a bit tbh.

kash2

More Consistent Than Arteta
One day people will look back and marvel that such a manager existed.

Keeping a club in the running for over 10 yrs in the face of Abramovic, Mansour and ManU + referees, with no support from the owners and board, while paying off a stadium debt, creating a style of play, delivering entertaining football and staying true to human and sporting values.

Consistently among the top 4 clubs in England and top 16 in Europe for 20 years. 20 years of finishing above tottenham and then capping it off by winning the FA cup with Mertesacker and Holding in defence against Chelsea, changing the formation to counter Conte's formation and beating them fair and square.

Staying on a year more to help the transition and then walking off in the sunlit Emirates with a graceful bow.

Pyres7

He would've been eaten alive at Real, Bayern, and maybe even the current PSG. Bayern and PSG expect to win the league every season (and I don't doubt that Wenger would have won it) but he would've been shown the door very quickly without success in Europe. Real fans are the worst of the lot, I dread to think how they would have treated Wenger. I think deep down he knew that too.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

That final quote is touching on what I’m saying, you sacrifice your career for the Arsenal project, turn down better jobs, easier jobs, stay right through the stadium change where there were difficulties, and at the end of it, people say “you stayed too long”.

He said: "I was happy where I was. I was at a club where I loved to do what I did."

"I'm proud of how I led my life."

You make a lot of assumptions on how other jobs would have been or how Wenger viewed things. The quote I put seems to say that he loved to be at this club and go through with even the hard parts after the stadium project. Which strongly hints at wanting to be an Arsenal legend like I said.

He even says "maybe" & laughs at the "you stayed too long" thing because it's not how he felt. That doesn't seem like a man who regrets heavily.

Wenger said he could be an advisor to the board at Arsenal, if offered, in the link I put. But not that it is his dream.

"In a wide-ranging interview with RTL, Wenger spoke of his biggest mistakes and regrets.

"Perhaps staying at the same club for 22 years," he replied. "I'm someone who likes to move around a lot, but I also like a challenge. I've been a prisoner of my own challenge at times."

He lists other regrets too, but here again he says "perhaps", because he needs to answer something. But he clearly again says that it's his own "challenge" that he chose and was drawn to and that he likes challenges.

You have to take into account that this answer was quite fast after he left, so likely more emotional answer when he hasn't got time to reflect upon it more. Then when you look at the quotes I put, you can see totally different attitude towards it. That's 2 years later.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

That comment from @TakeChillPill actually made me think tbh :lol:

My gut reaction was insult - but some parallels can definitely be made for sure.

Both are footballing geniuses and have been made to fight internal battles making them look nuts in public for years.

Who's copy came today? :bounce:

kash2

More Consistent Than Arteta
Wenger instilled style. ethos and values into the very soil of Arsenal. He made sure that future managers and owners will have no choice but to live up to these standards. He created an entirely new fanbase, much to the chagrin of the bumsquad type supporter in the stands, who lets face it, were basically a bumch of racists yelling "shoot" when they paused spewing abuse.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
Wenger instilled style. ethos and values into the very soil of Arsenal. He made sure that future managers and owners will have no choice but to live up to these standards. He created an entirely new fanbase, much to the chagrin of the bumsquad type supporter in the stands, who lets face it, were basically a bumch of racists yelling "shoot" when they paused spewing abuse.
Strangest poster on the forum. Can’t seem to say anything without have a moan or spouting some negative nonsense.

Welcome to my ignore list.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻

Arsenal got under his skin and in to him and once you become a real fan of a club, you're in for life. The club grabs you and won't let you go and after a while, you can't let go either...
Looking back, his career would have been better if he'd left earlier but in my heart, he left at the right time.

krengon

One Arsène Wenger
Trusted ⭐

yeah wasted his prime manager years here(06-12) instead of stacking up trophies jumping around from one top club to another.. probably would have done it differently if he got the chance again.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

Personally, I think a lot of the those mega clubs would have chewed him up and spat him out.

He had it very different here, I can't see him working under the high pressure boards of Madrid and Barca telling him what to do. Their fans would hate some of his team selections and persistence with certain talents as well.

Bayern and PSG might have been decent fits. Bayern in particular, less of a circus over there.

GDeep™

League is very weak
He could also get fired in those clubs and end up being Fabio Capello........ his biggest regret should have been ruining Özil's career cause it was he that spoiled Özil and not improve him at all in those 5 years.
I don’t understand this argument, of course he would’ve got fired, that’s the nature of the beast when you’re a manager at these clubs. The upside is bigger though, he would’ve won a few German titles had he gone to Bayern, he would’ve had a big chance to win titles with this great French generation etc.

GDeep™

League is very weak
You love getting the violins out for Wenger init :lol:

He’s had one of the best careers in management not sure why all the tears everyday. He should have been more self aware of his gargantuan stature, which made it awkward to ask him to leave - and left sooner.

You’d think Arsenal was a minor club before Wenger the way some of you go on. Wish he did get that manager job elsewhere so you Wenger fans could f*ck off a bit tbh.
What you on about? I’m just replying to posts. Think these posts are on the back off you and others blaming him for past failures, when the blame should actually lie elsewhere.

Tosker

Does Not Hate Foreigners
don't myself see much point in all these 'what ifs' and 'might have beens'

in a 22 year career there surely is enough to chew over without going into the realms of fancy

GDeep™

League is very weak
Personally, I think a lot of the those mega clubs would have chewed him up and spat him out.

He had it very different here, I can't see him working under the high pressure boards of Madrid and Barca telling him what to do.
Yet those clubs have had much lesser managers go there and boss it. Most of the guys who have managed those two clubs over the last 30 years are clowns.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

What you on about? I’m just replying to posts. Think these posts are on the back off you and others blaming him for past failures, when the blame should actually lie elsewhere.
....nah I just think you like getting the violin out for Wenger.

He's had one of the greatest football managerial careers on the planet, this poor Wenger stuff is nonsense. After 20 years of his leadership its normal to want to see new ideas.

Absolving Wenger of blame is also not right. His deficiencies were very real and the majority of players you and your cronies like to slag off came under his watch.
You're trying to act like he had as much say in the club as Emery and Arteta which is blatantly not the case.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom