• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Formation 20/21 Season

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Yeah, I find Arteta’s idea of playing Xhaka and Ceballos as wide mids and leaving Partey alone in middle to be bizarre.

we should have 3 CMs or 2 CMs and AM with good first touches and mobility in the middle playing a quick passing game.

Conservative

Saka
Partey - El-Neny​

Adventurous

Saka
Partey - Ceballos​

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

Basically this

Yep pretty much, I actually went out for a little walk; first time in four years, I let the air circulate through my lungs and gave some thought to our quandary and I think that formation is the best.

I would put William in the 10 spot and have Saka on the left. I have no issue with Xhaka but I would relegate him to the bench.

Reason being I think Partey can do everything Xhaka does and he's mobile so to me seems like a natural replacement.

In terms of attack I'd rotate the the wing backs, so sometimes Bellerin drops to midfield and Tierney is on the wing and vice versa.

What we could potentially do for some plays is have Tierney push up, then actually keep both Saka and Pepe in the box (essentially vacating the right wing completely) so there's more threat in the box between lines (Wenger style).

We could then push up Willian to create trianges on the edge of the box and which would allow the players to interchange and hopefully drag out defenders. If we are then feeling brave we could push either Partey or Ceballos up too for added options.

We'd end up with something like this when attacking:

---------------Saka-----------Auba-----------Pepe
Tierney
-------------------Willian----------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------Partey

Saka, Auba, Pepe all in danger areas, Tierney there to cross and Willian as the final third water carrier with Partey making a quasi front 6 (**** football lol).

Hopefully if the ball turns over so high in the pitch it'd allow Partey to get back and support Ceballos and Bellerin. This of course can change to have Bellerin on the other wing or Ceballos to support Willian etc.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Yep pretty much, I actually went out for a little walk; first time in four years, I let the air circulate through my lungs and gave some thought to our quandary and I think that formation is the best.

I would put William in the 10 spot and have Saka on the left. I have no issue with Xhaka but I would relegate him to the bench.

Reason being I think Partey can do everything Xhaka does and he's mobile so to me seems like a natural replacement.

In terms of attack I'd rotate the the wing backs, so sometimes Bellerin drops to midfield and Tierney is on the wing and vice versa.

What we could potentially do for some plays is have Tierney push up, then actually keep both Saka and Pepe in the box (essentially vacating the right wing completely) so there's more threat in the box between lines (Wenger style).

We could then push up Willian to create trianges on the edge of the box and which would allow the players to interchange and hopefully drag out defenders. If we are then feeling brave we could push either Partey or Ceballos up too for added options.

We'd end up with something like this when attacking:

---------------Saka-----------Auba-----------Pepe
Tierney
-------------------Willian----------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------Partey

Saka, Auba, Pepe all in danger areas, Tierney there to cross and Willian as the final third water carrier with Partey making a quasi front 6 (**** football lol).

Hopefully if the ball turns over so high in the pitch it'd allow Partey to get back and support Ceballos and Bellerin. This of course can change to have Bellerin on the other wing or Ceballos to support Willian etc.

It makes sense to tuck in a fullback depending on the side we attack. That 3 behind Auba is very interchangeable and to me it may make sense to play Elneny alongside Partey.

Bellerin isn't a player you want to build up with, he is a player you want running into space. Partey has a very good cross field ball from the left deep cm spot and Elneny is very good at covering space and filling gaps. So you want Willian close to Pepe as he draws players to him. Saka needs to be able to drop between the lines on the left side when Tierney goes forward.

Its 5 channels of attack.

Tierney-Saka-Auba-Willian-Pepe

---------Partey--Elneny----Bellerin

In this instance you want both Saka and Willian creating space for Pepe and Tierney by dropping into midfield or running beyond.
Or

Saka-Willian-Auba-Pepe-Bellerin

-----Tierney-----Partey-----Elneny

You want Pepe to move infield and Willian to drop into the left half space enabling Saka to go wide with Tierney tucking into midfield.

People call for a creative player but essentially what we need is another Partey and another Gabriel in order to have an athletic box of four back while we push everyone else forward. It may make sense to go back in for Soumare to partner Partey and hopefully Saliba is ready for the second half of the season.

----------------------Auba/Martinelli

Saka/ESR---------Willian/Nelson-------Pepe

-----------------Partey------------Souamare

Tierney--------------------------------------Bellerin/AMN

---------------Gabriel---------Saliba

--------------------------Leno

Personally I think AMN could partner Partey in midfield and cover the right space like Ceballos did, but I doubt he will play there.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Any opinions that don't include signing a creative player are ludicrous. The team needs balance. Look at how United changed after signing Bruno Fernandes. United were essentially playing like us.

We have 3 options to properly push forward as a team in a creative sense. I refuse to trade defensive stability for attacking prowess 24/7 as well. The player we sign is very important and we must do it in January.

1. You sign a central playmaker who can play between the lines. Aouar would be good. Ødegaard the ultimate pick for me, Szoboszlai another top option.
  2. You sign someone like Alexis Sanchez who can produce something from nothing. Martinelli actually reminds me of a very young Alexis so maybe that could work as well, but can't rely on that happening.
  3. You sign playmakers in other positions. For example Bellerin is a good right back and does a decent job, but he isn't at a top level for creativity. Same goes for AMN. Even Cedric is better technically than the first two mentioned. Pereira from Leicester would be my pick, elite going forward but his recent injury might hamper development.
The option of throwing everyone forward could work, but in my opinion it doesn't really make a jot of difference if you don't have a player who can spot a pass or play between the lines. We could've had 8 players forward and still be unable to break through Leicester.

My opinion is that we need two players to be a creative force. A left winger and a central playmaker. That will be when we really see a proper team in defence and attack.

Goonger

Agree with the last few posts. With the players we have, I think going back to a variation of the 4231 is the best solution at home & against lesser teams, with Auba being up top. We have Saka, Willian, Nelson, Pepe, Martinelli (when fit) & perhaps ESR fighting for the 3 behind him, with Partey and 1 from Ceballos / Xhaka / El-Neny in midfield.

Willian most likely playing central as he can shift across from left to right & help create overloads on either side, & allows more play in between the lines. He works hard as well so is quite capable of dropping back when we don't have the ball.

We can then assess when we have better players to suit the 433 system if that's the ultimate end game for Arteta.

Gegen Pressing

@Jae about returning to "good old"
442 in the other thread :
At the back the 3-4-3 you can see

Saka Partey Eleneny Bellerin
Tierney Gabriel Holding

this formation is pretty optimal as if Bellerin falls back it is 4 in defense as and if Tierney decides to go forward it just the two CBs at the back. So what's the difference? 343 More Players strategically higher up will put the gegenpress in action.

Reactions: Jae

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
  1. You sign a central playmaker who can play between the lines. Aouar would be good. Ødegaard the ultimate pick for me, Szoboszlai another top option.
The option of throwing everyone forward could work, but in my opinion it doesn't really make a jot of difference if you don't have a player who can spot a pass or play between the lines. We could've had 8 players forward and still be unable to break through Leicester.

My opinion is that we need two players to be a creative force. A left winger and a central playmaker. That will be when we really see a proper team in defence and attack.
Why both, where does that leave our most promising talent Saka? I'd argue you need one of the two and play Saka in the other position.

I'd be happy with a playmaking LW in the Grealish mold or a playmaker, where Ødegaard would also be my dream signing, but I'd be ecstatic if we get Aouar.

With our current crop I would try either Willian or ESR in the playmaker position and move Saka to LW.

Think this is our best formation:

Saka - Auba - Pepe
Willian/ESR - Partey
Elneny
Tierney - Gabriel - Holding - Bellerin
Leno​

Should provide us more creativity and attacking threat.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Why both, where does that leave our most promising talent Saka? I'd argue you need one of the two and play Saka in the other position.

I'd be happy with a playmaking LW in the Grealish mold or a playmaker, where Ødegaard would also be my dream signing, but I'd be ecstatic if we get Aouar.

With our current crop I would try either Willian or ESR in the playmaker position and move Saka to LW.

Think this is our best formation:

Saka - Auba - Pepe
Willian/ESR - Partey
Elneny
Tierney - Gabriel - Holding - Bellerin
Leno​

Should provide us more creativity and attacking threat.

Can't just rely on Saka though, and at the end of the day he's been in the team consistently and we've still struggled to create and score. At home you need the options. A LW to ultimately replace Lacazette and a creative midfielder are very important.

At home you'd be looking at something like this to break low block Leicester sorts down -

Leno
Bellerin - Saliba - Gabriel - Tierney
Partey
Creative mid - Saka
Pepe - Auba - New left winger
Really don't need Partey and Elneny at home to small teams. Obviously right now with the squad we currently have the ideal scenario is ESR/Ceballos in the midfield role and Martinelli/Willian in the LW role. But to push this team forward its very important a LW and creative mid are signed.

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
Can't just rely on Saka though, and at the end of the day he's been in the team consistently and we've still struggled to create and score. At home you need the options. A LW to ultimately replace Lacazette and a creative midfielder are very important.

At home you'd be looking at something like this to break low block Leicester sorts down -

Leno
Partey
Creative mid - Saka
Really don't need Partey and Elneny at home to small teams. Obviously right now with the squad we currently have the ideal scenario is ESR/Ceballos in the midfield role and Martinelli/Willian in the LW role. But to push this team forward its very important a LW and creative mid are signed.
I see, interesting idea to play both Saka and another creative mid in midfield. I like it.

Kind of depends on the creative mid, though. Needs to have some defensive skill because we can't limit Partey to sitting in front of the defense. I honestly don't know how good Ødegaard would be at that. I'm thinking more about a Golovin/Buendia type, who also contribute with tackles and interceptions, as well as breaking the lines with runs.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
I see, interesting idea to play both Saka and another creative mid in midfield. I like it.

Kind of depends on the creative mid, though. Needs to have some defensive skill because we can't limit Partey to sitting in front of the defense. I honestly don't know how good Ødegaard would be at that. I'm thinking more about a Golovin/Buendia type, who also contribute with tackles and interceptions, as well as breaking the lines with runs.

That would be in games where we're seriously struggling to break teams down of course. But having Bellerin/Tierney down the wings along with Saka and say Aouar creating from midfield is tasty stuff.

Jae

Leno
Bellerin - Luiz - Gabriel - Tierney
Partey - El Neny
Saka
Pepe - Auba - Martinelli

OR

Leno
Bellerin - Luiz - Gabriel - Tierney
Willian - Partey - El Neny - Saka
Auba - Laca

Sebastes

Statbomb Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Leno
Partey
Creative mid - Saka
Partey with two more advanced mids to partner him is what I’ve envisioned all along with the talk of 4-3-3. Like City with Fernandinho/Rodri as a 6 and Silva+De Bruyne or Lyon with Guimaraes/Mendes and Caqueret+Aouar.

Current team Ceballos should be the best option for that right spot but he’s a strange one.. think he loves the ball so much he drops deeper than instructed. On current form I’d like to see Willock with Saka and Thomas, although we’d lack experience to some extent. Joe is not necessarily the most creative passer, but he’s decent and his runs could be really valuable to open up defences. If we want to go all out attack but still in that formation it’s probably Saka, Thomas and Willian with a front three of Auba, Laca/Nketiah and Pepe.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Next summer we'll need to sort out our attack Laca is going for sure and Pepe if he didn't step up and get like 20 goals/Assists or be more proactive in final 3rd we'd look to sell too. i'm looking forward when Martinelli came back how we'll fit him i feel he perfect for Arteta style.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Regarding the formation i still insist that we won't keep playing 3-4-3 it could work away from home but at home against teams sit deep it's big struggle we already saw we need to find also different solutions about creating chances we can't depend on Bellerin Saka to attack from wide area to create.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Regarding the formation i still insist that we won't keep playing 3-4-3 it could work away from home but at home against teams sit deep it's big struggle we already saw we need to find also different solutions about creating chances we can't depend on Bellerin Saka to attack from wide area to create.

That isn't down to formation its down to the players we have. We have no central playmakers or goalscoring mids except Willock.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Leno
Bellerin - Holding - Gabriel - Tierney
El Neny - Partey
Özil
Pepe - Auba - Saka​

Manberg

Predator
Is it not possible to fit Partey, Xhaka, El Neny, Saka and Ceballos into the same team?

I feel like that combination of intelligence, skill and hard work can do things.

Something like:

Leno
Holding Gabriel Tierney
Bellerin Partey Xhaka Saka
Ceballos El Neny
Auba

Top Bottom