• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Aston La Vista To The Title?

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
Poor? I suggest you watch this 2016 compilation to remind yourself of the breath taking moves and compare it to the drivel we're watching now. This was his final year before the fans shat on him, and we finished 2nd I might add, not 8th, with the best defensive stats in the league. I'd forgotten just how good it was. A beautiful creative art form. Watch the move at 1 min 13s . . Jesus!

@HairSprayGooners has waxing lyrical about Arteta's Community Shield win like it's the Champions League but supposedly Arsène's last 5 years were poor when he won 3 FA Cups :lol:

He's a stupid poster you shouldn't humour him, I know it can be hard to let Arsène Wenger slander go but some people aren't worth it.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

More like Poch and Klopp came in and within 2 years retired Wenger who had more money and 20+ years to build his squad. The board and fans saw this and that’s how Wenger got the boot. Fergie went out on top because he could adapt to new challenges Wenger couldn’t. Blaming the fans is a good one. There is no reason why Sp**s or Pool should overtake us if Wenger was performing.
Exactly.

Without criticising Wenger you can definitively say that he failed to rise to the new challenge presented by Klopp and Poch over a sustained period. This is what caused the discontent.

Wenger wouldn't have been forced out the club if he had continued getting top 4 football. The fans may have been unimpressed but the board never would have sacked him.

We've failed in replacing him. Doesn't mean we shouldn't have replaced him.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
@HairSprayGooners has waxing lyrical about Arteta's Community Shield win like it's the Champions League but supposedly Arsène's last 5 years were poor when he won 3 FA Cups :lol:

He's a stupid poster you shouldn't humour him, I know it can be hard to let Arsène Wenger slander go but some people aren't worth it.
Yeah :lol: I put on one post about Arteta having a session with Wenger to improve his man management, and before you know it the haters are out of the woodwork in droves and it becomes another Wenger thread.

You'd think with the terrible football we're watching and our bottom half position in the table they'd have the humility to admit that they'd just got carried along with the hype and apologise for bringing down the greatest manager in the history of the club with a bunch of Trumpesque misinformation.

Atlas

Lost a sausage bet on Xhaka 😭
Exactly.

Without criticising Wenger you can definitively say that he failed to rise to the new challenge presented by Klopp and Poch over a sustained period. This is what caused the discontent.

Wenger wouldn't have been forced out the club if he had continued getting top 4 football. The fans may have been unimpressed but the board never would have sacked him.

We've failed in replacing him. Doesn't mean we shouldn't have replaced him.

To be fair to Wenger, Liverpool did have a squad that cost 100m or so more than his at the end of his reign so they did spend more in absolute terms while our net spend was higher but you could explain that by saying they sold Sterling and Coutinho for profits of 60m and 100m+ respectively while we lost Sanchez for less than nothing by turning down a 60m offer from City in the summer and sold the likes of Gnabry and Chesney for peanuts. We have been awful with transfers over the last 5 years or so.

novar

What's the point in even going over all this Wenger stuff again?

Jerking off over Youtube compilations of our most beautiful goals in Wenger's last years is all fine and dandy but it doesn't tell the real story.
At the time we were scoring those goals most fans would have sacrificed those beautiful goals to not get battered pretty frequently against top teams by being less open and more defensively sound.

All this talk of how Wenger wasn't a micromanager and let his players express themselves without being overly coached was another reason the fans battered him at the time, however much you want to look back at it with rose tinted glasses now. How many times did the same individual player make the same errors without any repercussions? A lot. Fans were killing Wenger for that along with his supposed general lack of discipline.

Just because we're not in the best of places now doesn't mean we should romanticize and rewrite the history of Arsène's last few years here. Maybe it was better than the present, but it was still pretty crap. And you can't use the FA Cup wins to defend that period either because Arteta isn't being afforded the same credit.

A lot of people are fans of the club because of Wenger and the style we played under him, so it makes sense now that we're seeing virtually the opposite of it a lot of people consider it (rightfully) absolute ****. Most people I believe wanted small tweaks over what was already there, hence the meme of "we are only a couple of pieces left to become proper contenders".

You can tell how much worse off we are now, when there are serious discussions about how apparently our whole squad is not good enough. As you can see, between those two statements there's a world of difference.

Arteta maybe isn't being afforded the same credit for this reason, the FA Cup win was just disgusting to watch. I don't care at all about winning this way, if I did maybe I would be a fan of Mourinho instead.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

Without criticising Wenger you can definitively say that he failed to rise to the new challenge presented by Klopp and Poch over a sustained period
You keep repeating that, but it's grossly unjust. The life of a football manager is tough, tough, tough. Witness, Emery and Arteta. Wenger had the full weight of the fans around his neck, the other two managers had full support. And in fact Klopp had Michael Edwards making some stunning decisions in the transfer market to help him succeed whilst Wenger, Gazidis and the board were panicking about the fan rants and making stupid decisions like Perez and Mustafi.

To bring down Wenger with a sustained campaign and when he finally drops out of the top 4 after 20 years (and only by 1 point at first) and then say, "See, told he was declining", is sick.

Last edited:

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
Yeah :lol: I put on one post about Arteta having a session with Wenger to improve his man management, and before you know it the haters are out of the woodwork in droves and it becomes another Wenger thread.

You'd think with the terrible football we're watching and our bottom half position in the table they'd have the humility to admit that they'd just got carried along with the hype and apologise for bringing down the greatest manager in the history of the club with a bunch of Trumpesque misinformation.

The people who were so anti-Wenger are the same ones that are really pro Emery/Arteta because they don't want to admit to being in the wrong with Arsène.

Arsène won 3 FA Cups out of 4 and that still wasn't good enough, but 1 FA Cup and Charity Shield and now Arteta is untouchable.

Last edited:

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
A lot of people are fans of the club because of Wenger and the style we played under him, so it makes sense now that we're seeing virtually the opposite of it a lot of people consider it (rightfully) absolute ****. Most people I believe wanted small tweaks over what was already there, hence the meme of "we are only a couple of pieces left to become proper contenders".

You can tell how much worse off we are now, when there are serious discussions about how apparently our whole squad is not good enough. As you can see, between those two statements there's a world of difference.

Arteta maybe isn't being afforded the same credit for this reason, the FA Cup win was just disgusting to watch. I don't care at all about winning this way, if I did maybe I would be a fan of Mourinho instead.

Wenger came in and totally altered the 'Arsenal style' from the previous era of Rioch and Graham. Did he disrespect the past or the fans by doing that? Of course not.

I don't for a second believe that style of football we are playing now is Arteta's dream style anyway. It's a short term necessity in my eyes. I expect it to evolve and become much more easy on the eye with time.

No-ones saying the whole squad isn't good enough. A lot of us think that certain players are a bit overrated or have obvious flaws in their game. That's in no way the same as thinking we have a terrible squad. Nuance is allowed.

Last edited:

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
You keep repeating that, but it's grossly unjust. The life of a football manager is tough, tough, tough. Witness, Emery and Arteta. Wenger had the full weight of the fans around his neck, the other two managers had full support. And in fact Klopp had Michael Edwards making some stunning decisions in the transfer market to help him succeed whilst Wenger, Gazidis and the board were panicking about the fan rants and making stupid decisions like Perez and Mustafi.

To bring down Wenger with a sustained campaign and when he finally drops out of the top 4 after 20 years (and only by 1 point at first) and then say, "See, told he was declining", is sick.

Here's one for you. If all the fan pressure was so unjust why were they putting pressure on in the first place? Was it because we were getting battered year after year in the CL? Or was it because we were getting battered away from home in big games?

I don't know why you can't admit the last 4 or 5 years were a massive decline and failure. Fan pressure was completely justified, I disagree with abuse, but pressure absolutely justified. You cannot say that Wenger was going to get us out of the rut.

kash2

More Consistent Than Arteta

instead of supporting the manager and putting pressure on owners and bent referees, the rabid lot chose an easy target. any target will do, as we can see even after Wenger left.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
instead of supporting the manager and putting pressure on owners and bent referees, the rabid lot chose an easy target. any target will do, as we can see even after Wenger left.

Wenger last 4 years, 400m spent, regressing league position, rightfully being told he wasn't good enough.

Don't see anything wrong with that tbh.

scytheavatar

Established Member

Wenger had the full support from the fans, they worshiped him as a god and he has built up a mountain of goodwill points over the decades. For them to turn on him one by one until most are against him shows how far the rot has gotten and why he has to leave. If you want to blame the owners then it's not possible to avoid blaming Wenger too when he has gone out of the way to praise the Kroenkes and boardroom for supporting him.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Kinda tired of bringing up the supposed failings of Wenger tbh, especially as it's clear as day the club is Micky Mouse.

If Edu was to get the sack tomorrow with no explanation and they change the whole structure again who here would be surprised?

I feel like people are seeing the truth and just can't admit it now. Gary Neville was spot on all along when he told Arsenal fan tv "becareful what you wish for".

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

Wenger had the full support from the fans, they worshiped him as a god and he has built up a mountain of goodwill points over the decades. For them to turn on him one by one until most are against him shows how far the rot has gotten and why he has to leave. If you want to blame the owners then it's not possible to avoid blaming Wenger too when he has gone out of the way to praise the Kroenkes and boardroom for supporting him.
What rot? He was 2nd when they turned on him. Where are we now? They got swept away in fake news social media hysteria, is what happened. Continuous 'top 4 isn't showing progress', 'any manager could better with this squad', 'we're the mighty Arsenal and should be challenging for the title', froth, froth.

Last edited:

kash2

More Consistent Than Arteta
What rot? He was 2nd when they turned on him. Where are we now? They got swept away in fake news social media hysteria, is what happened. Continuous 'top 4 isn't showing progress', 'any manager could better with this squad', 'we're the mighty Arsenal and should be challenging for the title', froth, froth.
they will talk anything except 8th place last year and this years staggering success so far.

Arsenal Quotes

I don’t look at the passport of people; I look at their quality and their attitude.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom