• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Managerial Royalty

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
The problem is though why do you think Arteta can turn it around?

Has he turned a team around before? No
Has he dealt with team conflicts before? No
Has he had to deal with pressure before? No
Has he been able to adapt his philosophy to get results? No
Has he worked with an average set of players and made them better both individually and collectively? No
Has he identified and made the correct signings his team needs? No
Have the quality of them signings been good? 2 yes, 3 or 4 No.

Therefore while your entitled to your opinion you have no basis on why you think Arteta can turn it around. Other than hope or a general liking for the man there is no substance to say he will.

The first 3 points that you mention have nothing to do with Arteta's managerial abilities or lack of them. It's his first managerial job, of course he's never experienced these situations before.

I look at the football Arteta had us playing at the tail end of last season, and there was some decent stuff there, so he's obviously capable of managing a side that plays good football.

On the signings stuff, to what degree can we blame or credit Arteta for them? I honestly don't know. The Raul / Kia stuff clouds a lot of it for me. Mari and Willian I peg as Arteta signings, or at least he had a lot of influence over them. Not great business. But then I think it's probably fair to give him credit for Gabriel and Partey. Maybe those signings we're already lined up, I don't know, but Arteta would have had to give them the okay you'd think. So it's a mixed bag for me. The big money signings under Arteta's tenure have been good. The cheaper ones / squad players, not as good.

I guess when you boil it down I don't believe that the type of football we are playing is anywhere close to the style that Arteta ultimately wants to play. It is a work in progress.

If it's moving too slowly for some fans, or they think it's regressing then fair enough, I can see why they'd want him sacked. Personally I want to see where we are at at the end of the season before I turn on him.

I was pro Wenger till the end, I stuck with Emery longer than most. I guess it's just my general nature to be fairly patient with managers. Whether that's a good or bad thing I don't know.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
I put this piece in the wrong place as I thought it would detail the decline in the club but it's another Arteta defence piece by Ornstein and James McNicholas. It's titled "The Decline of Arsenal" but when you see the actual html its "It's not Arteta's fault".

These guys are just protecting their jobs as well as I am sure they lose a lot of leakage once Arteta bounces. I rarely put my opinions alongside pieces I copy and paste cause I don't like to sway opinions but this is pathetic.

I thought it would've been much less pro-Tecta after seeing this tweet, tbh.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
The first 3 points that you mention have nothing to do with Arteta's managerial abilities or lack of them. It's his first managerial job, of course he's never experienced these situations before.

I look at the football Arteta had us playing at the tail end of last season, and there was some decent stuff there, so he's obviously capable of managing a side that plays good football.

On the signings stuff, to what degree can we blame or credit Arteta for them? I honestly don't know. The Raul / Kia stuff clouds a lot of it for me. Mari and Willian I peg as Arteta signings, or at least he had a lot of influence over them. Not great business. But then I think it's probably fair to give him credit for Gabriel and Partey. Maybe those signings we're already lined up, I don't know, but Arteta would have had to give them the okay you'd think. So it's a mixed bag for me. The big money signings under Arteta's tenure have been good. The cheaper ones / squad players, not as good.

I guess when you boil it down I don't believe that the type of football we are playing is anywhere close to the style that Arteta ultimately wants to play. It is a work in progress.

If it's moving too slowly for some fans, or they think it's regressing then fair enough, I can see why they'd want him sacked. Personally I want to see where we are at at the end of the season before I turn on him.

But what we did at the end of last season hasnt appeared this season. And il tell you why. Last season Arteta had 0 pressure. He was playing teams some already on holiday safe. Some already relegated.

He had a clean slate, had his players this season and had all that time to work out the best solution with the players he had. He didnt do it.

He hasnt adapted his ideas to the players he has got. It's like having a team of Michael Owen's and saying my philosophy is crossing and high balls into the box and that is what I will do until I sign 11 Peter Crouches.

Whatever way you look at it its poor management across the board. Were Arsenal football club and we are 15th.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
I just did a quick calculation. If we carry on as we are we'll end the season on 40.9 pts You normally need 40 pts to survive the drop so this is obviously good news! Yay, we're staying up! :Celebration:

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
I just did a quick calculation. If we carry on as we are we'll end the season on 40.9 pts You normally need 40 pts to survive the drop so this is obviously good news! Yay, we're staying up! :Celebration:
We can still win the EL with some luck. Would be an ideal season if something like that happens and Arteta would be a hero again

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
We can still win the EL with some luck. Would be an ideal season if something like that happens and Arteta would be a hero again

Your bread and butter and where you see the progress of the team is in the league. If your not improving in the league cup competitions wont matter.

Besides. You see us beating Sp**s/Leciester/United along with some other decent foreign teams? We will be lucky to make it past Benfica.

Sweet'n'Soulful

Yet another banned account of Jury
I put this piece in the wrong place as I thought it would detail the decline in the club but it's another Arteta defence piece by Ornstein and James McNicholas. It's titled "The Decline of Arsenal" but when you see the actual html its "It's not Arteta's fault".

These guys are just protecting their jobs as well as I am sure they lose a lot of leakage once Arteta bounces. I rarely put my opinions alongside pieces I copy and paste cause I don't like to sway opinions but this is pathetic.
What you see on the pitch begins and ends with the manager. Just like it did with Wenger and why ultimately he had to go. We were nowhere near as bad as we were showing under Wenger and we are nowhere near as bad as we are showing under Arteta. It’s not as complicated as some people would have you think. It is Arteta’s decisions that have got us here. And he is also responsible for the mood of the players even if that may sound harsh.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
Your bread and butter and where you see the progress of the team is in the league. If your not improving in the league cup competitions wont matter.

Besides. You see us beating Sp**s/Leciester/United along with some other decent foreign teams? We will be lucky to make it past Benfica.
I've seen enough crapy teams winning stuff, hopefully we can do the same since we can't do it the right way.
As for moving up the league, makes no difference if we finished 7ht or 14th, we are not going higher than that anyway.
Winning EL is the only way we can save our season and get that CL spot for the next year. It won't be easy, but once Partey is back and maybe one good player comes in January, it's doable

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
Honestly obvious propaganda like that just makes it so much harder to support him.. No idea how people eat that **** up.
Yeah, its so heavily laid on maybe even been counterproductive for him.

Been suspicious of Arteta & the 'hype' since that week or 10 days of blitzing that happened in 2018 before Emery swooped in out of nowhere. All the same people pushing his narrative then... Orny saying some mental thing on BBC & the blogs had a hissy fit when Arteta missed out.

Egm6dtGWsAAv5Kk

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
He did ball watch for the goal, Leno kinda has a point.

Not being funny, but everyone swore Bellerin, Xhaka, Willian and Lacazette were the reason we weren’t winning. Well, they had nothing to do with this and same problems remained.

Thing is, the real issue for me is, they are in terms of squad status, playing time and salary (all 100k+) starting XI players. They aren't good enough. It's not surprising when we play our squad players in their place we aren't amazing.

It's who should be in the squad instead of the likes of Xhaka etc i.e. replacements with better profiles

El-Neny is a good squad player, you use him reservedly and he gives 100% to show he's worthwhile. He's not starting XI and that's fine. But he's not on Xhakas salary

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
I've seen enough crapy teams winning stuff, hopefully we can do the same since we can't do it the right way.
As for moving up the league, makes no difference if we finished 7ht or 14th, we are not going higher than that anyway.
Winning EL is the only way we can save our season and get that CL spot for the next year. It won't be easy, but once Partey is back and maybe one good player comes in January, it's doable

If you believe finishing 7th or finishing 14th doesnt make a difference then football isnt for you sorry.

What crappy teams have won major european trophies in the last 10 years?

Macho

DJ Machodemiks
Dusted 🔻

I thought it would've been much less pro-Tecta after seeing this tweet, tbh.
They had to point out obligatory mistakes as some there's no hiding from, you don't need insiders to know the Willian thing was bs. When you really read the article though:

Arteta being the answer
Despite being on a learning curve himself, Arteta is viewed internally as more of the solution than the problem.

They scrutinise Wenger's signings (Auba and Laca as well)
After signing Xhaka, Wenger described him that September as a “box-to-box midfielder”. By the November, he had changed his tune entirely, telling reporters this Swiss “is more a deep playmaker I think than a box-to-box player”.

Buckle in lads.
There are those among the club’s leadership who believe they won’t be truly competitive until after 2022, when their young players have sufficiently developed and many of the current squad will have moved on, taking some of the club’s old culture with them.

Squad isn't good enough argument #7658
There are indications that may be changing and the hierarchy do recognise that the squad has major issues in terms of technical quality, tactical understanding and mentality.

Poor Arteta
As head coach, Arteta would only have been responsible for the former. As manager, he must tackle both. It is a huge task for someone in the top job for the first time.

Not Arteta's fault
To place the inexperienced Arteta in that role would be reckless and unfair. He may be willing to “take the bullets”, but is that right? Clearly, he should be held accountable for the team’s poor performance. Step back, however, and it is clear that the mess at Arsenal is not entirely of this coach’s making.

It's correct to point out it's not Arteta's fault cause ultimately - it's the boards fault. This however, is nonsense.

I thought they would go into more detail about the decline from Wenger, then to Emery and what we see now but they pretty much blame the sea, the birds and the sky.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
But what we did at the end of last season hasnt appeared this season. And il tell you why. Last season Arteta had 0 pressure. He was playing teams some already on holiday safe. Some already relegated.

He had a clean slate, had his players this season and had all that time to work out the best solution with the players he had. He didnt do it.

He hasnt adapted his ideas to the players he has got. It's like having a team of Michael Owen's and saying my philosophy is crossing and high balls into the box and that is what I will do until I sign 11 Peter Crouches.

Whatever way you look at it its poor management across the board. Were Arsenal football club and we are 15th.

You say Arteta had no pressure last year but why? He had taken over from a manager who couldn't get anything out of the team anymore. The same issues around team identity and playing style were there under Emery. A lot of this is on a players in my view, not to absolve Arteta of deserved blame or errors he's made.

I agree with you that the getting it out wide and putting crosses into the box style Arteta implemented hasn't worked and I'm glad to see that he largely moved away from that against Southampton.

Fans seem to want the lovely one touch stuff and fluid football, we don't have the players with the technical abilities to play that style. Technically this is the worst Arsenal squad I've seen, I believe. We have very few players who can break in between the lines. We essentially don't have an effective centre midfield to play through either. It's almost impossible for us to control a game. I honestly don't know what's the best tactics are get the most out of this lot, it's a problem. Our squad doesn't have a natural identity.

You can't change all our squad problems around in one January transfer window and a Covid-19 affected summer one.

Within the space of 11 league games Arteta has gone from possibly the best rookie manager in football to a no hoper in a lot of the fans eyes. To me it's pretty kneejerk.

Last edited:

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

Why do you think he’s persisting with certain players?

I think it’s down to three major factors, his stubbornness, cautiousness and lack of trust in our young talents.

I know a lot of people on here don’t rate Frank Lampard however with their transfer ban last season, he gave a lot of young players opportunities. The likes of Billy Gilmour, Mount, Reece James, Tomori etc got opportunities in the PL. Mikel Arteta doesn’t have it in him to give Saliba a chance.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
If you believe finishing 7th or finishing 14th doesnt make a difference then football isnt for you sorry.

What crappy teams have won major european trophies in the last 10 years?
Not crapy in that way, but let's say Sevilla wasn't always the best team on paper and they didn't do well in their domestic league, but still won it.

Yeah, 7th or 14th means very little to me, it's a disappointing season in any way, and being 7th won't make it better. What would make a difference if we do finish below 6th, is that we can find the players for the future and make other players redundant, it's the very best chance to make a transition when there is not much to play for.
Not sure why you have to be a jerk with "football isn't your story", it's just a different perspective of how we look at things, without anyone being right or wrong

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
Not crapy in that way, but let's say Sevilla wasn't always the best team on paper and they didn't do well in their domestic league, but still won it.

Yeah, 7th or 14th means very little to me, it's a disappointing season in any way, and being 7th won't make it better. What would make a difference if we do finish below 6th, is that we can find the players for the future and make other players redundant, it's the very best chance to make a transition when there is not much to play for.
Not sure why you have to be a jerk with "football isn't your story", it's just a different perspective of how we look at things, without anyone being right or wrong

Because finishing 7th and finishing 14th have huge differences going forward. If you dont see that and understand that then I cant say much more.

We need quality players. Do you believe that a player is more likely to come to us having finished 7th or 14th?

So you think the reputation is the same and the pressure at the club finishing 7th or finishing 14th?

Do you have any friends who support the likes of Palace or Newcastle who sometimes finish around 14th. Ask them if they finished 7th would they feel different.

Sevilla is a top team in Europe. They often play CL football. They won 3 ELs on the bounce from what i remember. They knocked United out last year. They are not bums. And they would be well ahead of us in the PL this year.

They're average finish in La Liga is around 5th. Consdiering Madrid, Atletico and Barcelona are almost a given top 3 thats not bad for a team with a low budget. The lowest position they finished in the league while winning the EL was 7th. They played CL this season. Most of the time they were 3rd,4th or 5th.

Has there ever been a team that won the EL finishing 10th in their respective league? I dare say no.

Arsenal Quotes

The biggest things in life have been achieved by people who, at the start, we would have judged crazy. And yet if they had not had these crazy ideas the world would have been more stupid.

Arsène Wenger

Daily Transfer Updates

Tuesday, May 28

Arsenal have been handed a boost as Sporting Lisbon have lowered their asking price for CB Ousmane Diomande from €80m to €60m [Record]

Sheffield Wednesday are keen on signing 21 year old striker Mika Biereth on loan [The Sheffield Star]

Arsenal hope to command a sizeable fee for Eddie Nketiah this summer [The Athletic]

Arsenal and AC Milan are interested in Monaco midfielder Youssouf Fofana [Gazzetta]

Thomas Partey’s preference is to stay at Arsenal, but no talks have taken place over a new contract with one year left and the club could consider offers this summer [Charles Watts]

Latest posts

Top Bottom