• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arteta and Edu(ardo Hagn)'s Transfer Targets: January 2021

Will We Sign The Attacking Midfielder We Need?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

We all know it's going to be Hayden Mullins for £20m. Don't indulge yourselves in pipe dreams.

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
Unfortunately Rice going back to Chelsea is the obvious transfer. Your talking £80M+ to convince West Ham to sell, money that we don't have. That & him returning where he was a youth, Lampard as manager, best mates with Mason Mount etc, I think they would be string favourites. Chelsea's interest might change if Lampard gets replaced mind you.

Likewise, because of the sheer money involved Grealish going to Utd is the most obvious transfer there. For that to happen I think you are talking £100M. Be interesting to see who Utd prioritise out of him & Sancho next summer. Even with Pogba leaving I doubt they afford both.
I agree on Rice, but I don't see how Grealish is the most logical signing for United. They already have Fernandes. Can they afford to field both? Or would they buy him as a LW and bench Rashford or Martial? I don't see it, a proper RW makes a lot more sense to me.

L3T5 PL4Y

Flair Accuser
Unfortunately Rice going back to Chelsea is the obvious transfer. Your talking £80M+ to convince West Ham to sell, money that we don't have. That & him returning where he was a youth, Lampard as manager, best mates with Mason Mount etc, I think they would be string favourites. Chelsea's interest might change if Lampard gets replaced mind you.

Likewise, because of the sheer money involved Grealish going to Utd is the most obvious transfer there. For that to happen I think you are talking £100M. Be interesting to see who Utd prioritise out of him & Sancho next summer. Even with Pogba leaving I doubt they afford both.
Yeah, looks like he is Chelsea bound. Chelsea also have players they could flog to West Ham.

Doubt Grealish is going to Utd though. Where would he play? Sancho to UTD looks inevitable so they don't really have a position to shoehorn Grealish into I guess. If he does leave I can only see City and Liverpool going for him. Surprised Liverpool aren't after him tbh. That said if his off the pitch antiques are true I can see why no big club might want him. I really want him at Arsenal but that's a big question mark too.

Goonger

Someone I mentioned previously. I believe he is the current top scorer in English football and one who would give us a presence in the box. He scores goals and just because he is in the championship doesn't mean that he isn't good enough for us.

I like him bingobob. I think we all agree we need a more rounded striker up top with the way we play. We need better hold up play, better aerial presence, a bit more aggression, but still someone that can run in behind & finish, and from what I can see he offers these things. Seems ambitious as well & is determined to get to the top judging by his interviews.

He might still be a bit raw in some aspects of his game, but he's certainly someone that should come in the conversation, alongside the likes of Edouard.

L3T5 PL4Y

Flair Accuser
I think its fair to say someone that's scored 16 goals in 22 games isn't doing so by accident. I think with the way we play we need a physical presence and a number 10. He would certainly add the presence.
Nah a lot of strikers get a clutch of goals in some leagues but when you look at the goals themselves you can tell whether they are down to his quality or circumstances. Mitchy Batshuayi as an example, he scored a huge amount at OM but all his goals seemed like accidents and no element in them showed his apparent quality. Its a frequent trend in football.

Toney's physical presence is apparent yeah but he isn't very tall and skillful to play hold up which is what I'd worried about. He is also not a young player at 24. If he was rapid like a Vardy or had quick feet on the ball then maybe you could see it working. For being English he'll cost a lot for which we could buy a far better player overall with a higher ceiling.

L3T5 PL4Y

Flair Accuser
Its an important issue though that we need to find a striker or two if Lacazette goes. Depay and another target man striker would be ideal.

Goonger

I agree on Rice, but I don't see how Grealish is the most logical signing for United. They already have Fernandes. Can they afford to field both? Or would they buy him as a LW and bench Rashford or Martial? I don't see it, a proper RW makes a lot more sense to me.
Yeah, looks like he is Chelsea bound. Chelsea also have players they could flog to West Ham.

Doubt Grealish is going to Utd though. Where would he play? Sancho to UTD looks inevitable so they don't really have a position to shoehorn Grealish into I guess. If he does leave I can only see City and Liverpool going for him. Surprised Liverpool aren't after him tbh. That said if his off the pitch antiques are true I can see why no big club might want him. I really want him at Arsenal but that's a big question mark too.

Thing is, with Utd, I don't think it has to make much sense. They signed Van Der Beek in the summer and can't find any room for him. I too think Sancho will be priority, but I honestly wouldn't rule them out of a Grealish deal just because their ego loves signing top talent from the league still. Might even sacrifice Van Der Beek or Martial to make it happen.

------------------ Rashford ----------------

Grealish----- Fernandes ------ Sancho

Sebastes

Statbomb Merchant
Trusted ⭐

I think its fair to say someone that's scored 16 goals in 22 games isn't doing so by accident. I think with the way we play we need a physical presence and a number 10. He would certainly add the presence.
It won’t really matter which attackers we bring in. We could get Grealish, Ødegaard or Fernandes as AM and Dybala or even Kane or Lewandowski as CF, we’d still only score marginally more. As long as we don’t transition into attack faster we’ll always be attacking an organized defense where everyone is between the ball and their goal.

It’s definitely one of the reasons Özil trailed off. We simply didn’t get the ball up the field to exploit empty spaces and take advantage of teams defensive transitions.

It could of course come down to managers but the only real common denominator I can find is a certain swiss albanian and until we shift him nothing will happen.

Not taking the potential impact Partey can/will have into account as he’s barely featured so far.

L3T5 PL4Y

Flair Accuser
Thing is, with Utd, I don't think it has to make much sense. They signed Van Der Beek in the summer and can't find any room for him. I too think Sancho will be priority, but I honestly wouldn't rule them out of a Grealish deal just because their ego loves signing top talent from the league still. Might even sacrifice Van Der Beek or Martial to make it happen.

------------------ Rashford ----------------

Grealish----- Fernandes ------ Sancho
Yeah, I guess that's plausible. Wouldn't mind getting after Martial if that happens.

Van De Beek looks pretty average tbh. Very functional player. Like he seems great at picking positions but rather underwhelming otherwise.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Seen some links to Ivan Toney this summer to replace Lacazette. Think he could make the step up like Watkins?

I semi-wishlisted him the other day but he’s basically like a budget DCL.

Watkins is a very team oriented striker but Toney is even more so. Not as good as Lacazette but it could be a way to bank some money if you sold Laca for Toney.

Toney has bounced around a bit and he’s not on the level of Watkins but if Arteta wants to invest heavily in the wings and AM position and cash in on Laca then he’d be an astute buy.

Reactions: A_G

L3T5 PL4Y

Flair Accuser
I semi-wishlisted him the other day but he’s basically like a budget DCL.

Watkins is a very team oriented striker but Toney is even more so. Not as good as Lacazette but it could be a way to bank some money if you sold Laca for Toney.

Toney has bounced around a bit and he’s not on the level of Watkins but if Arteta wants to invest heavily in the wings and AM position and cash in on Laca then he’d be an astute buy.
Isn't he likely to cost more than what we'll get for Laca though? And he looks horrendous technically.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Isn't he likely to cost more than what we'll get for Laca though? And he looks horrendous technically.

Shouldn't do. You could argue because of age and scoring record that Watkins was a far superior prospect and he went for 30M.

If Brentford don’t go up again I think he’ll be available for a very decent price. Don’t think he’s on a long contract.

Yeah he’s not Benzema or anything but he’s good at winning balls in the air and holding the ball up and his passing from that position is enough.

DCL absolutely dominated us in the air and brought in Richarlison and others really well. Toney does the same sort of thing.

Isak’s a nice prospect but he’s not had the most incredible year where you think he’s ready to lead the line for us in a CL chasing year. He’s still young and learning his game.

L3T5 PL4Y

Flair Accuser
Shouldn't do. You could argue because of age and scoring record that Watkins was a far superior prospect and he went for 30M.

If Brentford don’t go up again I think he’ll be available for a very decent price. Don’t think he’s on a long contract.

Yeah he’s not Benzema or anything but he’s good at winning balls in the air and holding the ball up and his passing from that position is enough.

DCL absolutely dominated us in the air and brought in Richarlison and others really well. Toney does the same sort of thing.

Isak’s a nice prospect but he’s not had the most incredible year where you think he’s ready to lead the line for us in a CL chasing year. He’s still young and learning his game.
DCL is taller, faster and better on the ball though. But if he's available on a decent fee he looks like worth a shot. We do need a presence and aerially dominant attacker for sure.

Isak is still very rounded and has a great ceiling with a great physique though. We aren't really getting him or a player of his caliber once they reach a certain level so why not go in now.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

DCL is taller, faster and better on the ball though. But if he's available on a decent fee he looks like worth a shot. We do need a presence and aerially dominant attacker for sure.

Isak is still very rounded and has a great ceiling with a great physique though. We aren't really getting him or a player of his caliber once they reach a certain level so why not go in now.

I’d obviously prefer DCL but he’s a 100M player now probably. Toney though could be available for under 20M if they don’t go up.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
the bell saying we looking for short term deals (loans) this window we'll leave the long term and big deals in summer.

Rice is linked to Man Utd and Chelski :(

Imagine....

Auba-Depay-Dybala
Grealish-Rice-Partey
Tierney-Magha-Stones-Aarons
Leno

We should take out another 300m Bank of England loan imo

I would have read the whole line up if it wasnt for Auba on the left being the first name there!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

Arsène Wenger's idea is not only to play good football. It's to play good football to win. In my day, we knew that with our style we could hurt teams and win trophies too. But we did it our way, with the positional game, passing, movement.

Dennis Bergkamp

Daily Transfer Updates

Tuesday, May 28

Arsenal have been handed a boost as Sporting Lisbon have lowered their asking price for CB Ousmane Diomande from €80m to €60m [Record]

Sheffield Wednesday are keen on signing 21 year old striker Mika Biereth on loan [The Sheffield Star]

Arsenal hope to command a sizeable fee for Eddie Nketiah this summer [The Athletic]

Arsenal and AC Milan are interested in Monaco midfielder Youssouf Fofana [Gazzetta]

Thomas Partey’s preference is to stay at Arsenal, but no talks have taken place over a new contract with one year left and the club could consider offers this summer [Charles Watts]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom